E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Post Warranty Claim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4Matics
Post Warranty Claim

I just bought a 06 E350 4Matics with 49600 miles last Friday. Technically when I picked up the vehicle in Florida (I live in NJ) last week, the vehicle was under the factory warranty. As I drove up to NJ, the vehicle pass the 50K mark.

Here is my dilema: I hear a faint whistiling noise coming from the engine and rough sound coming from steering when I steer at the maximum angle. These two problems were noted when I picked up the vehicle, but it was on Friday afternoon and there was no way for me to get these serviced from the local dealer on that same day. So I drove the vehicle up as they weren't an issue when you doing a highway driving. Upon my return on the following Monday, I called the dealer and asked for the earliest appointment which is this coming Friday. Probably by that time, I will have a bit over 51000 miles showing on the odometer. Do I have a chance in claming these repairs under warranty? I do have the odometer statement from the used car dealer stating 49600 miles and is dated 7/25/08.

What is the best course of action?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
You should be able to get a pass from the servicing dealer for a goodwill repair – speak with the service manager and request MBUSA field rep approval if need be.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:55 AM

2006 E350 4Matics
I went in for service this morning at Prestige Mercedes in Paramus, NJ. The SA and the manager told me once the 50K mark passes, they can't cover under the warranty. I told them the entire story above and showed them the odometer statement, but still no go. They told me they will have to charge $260 just for diagnosis, then I can decide whether to fix the problem or not.
Luckily when they punched in the VIN, the vehicle came up as a CPO so some of the problems should be covered. Is CPO transferable? I think what happened with my car was that the previous owner (there were 2 owners) must have bought a CPO from the dealer that was turned in by the original owner and turned it in to Audi dealer for trade in. So the CPO record still remains in the system.

Can someone confirm if CPO in my case is still valid? I'm new to MB and don't know much about CPO.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 AM

E320
Originally Posted by bestoverall
I went in for service this morning at Prestige Mercedes in Paramus, NJ. The SA and the manager told me once the 50K mark passes, they can't cover under the warranty. I told them the entire story above and showed them the odometer statement, but still no go. They told me they will have to charge $260 just for diagnosis, then I can decide whether to fix the problem or not.
Luckily when they punched in the VIN, the vehicle came up as a CPO so some of the problems should be covered. Is CPO transferable? I think what happened with my car was that the previous owner (there were 2 owners) must have bought a CPO from the dealer that was turned in by the original owner and turned it in to Audi dealer for trade in. So the CPO record still remains in the system.

Can someone confirm if CPO in my case is still valid? I'm new to MB and don't know much about CPO.
That kinda sucks that they wouldnt do the "goodwill" thing but glad to hear you are covered with CPO which is supposed to be valid to 100K miles. You
should also confirm what "date" your CPO warranty is valid to. I know that someone on the forum should have the link to the Ts&Cs of the warranty or you should be able to call MBUSA for a copy.

I purchased 03' with a CPO warranty of 1 yr (to March 2009/up to 100K miles). It had 48K miles and I knew that I would only log 20K miles per year so I opted to purchase the "time" extended warranty of of an additional 2 yrs (on top of the 1 year) so that the warranty would be good thru March 2011. Its sorta a MBz "gotcha" in order to balance the time with the milage but it is some piece of mind especially since the 03's have some known quality issues.

When I was looking at BMWs, the CPO was something like 3 years/100K miles but dont think it covered as much stuff as the MBz CPO? The E320 has been an enjoyable ride so far but in hindsight, Im thinking I may return back to the BMW camp or other makes after I run this MBz into the ground.

Good luck!

Last edited by enr1co; 08-01-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 AM

2006 E350 4Matics
enr1co,
Thanks for your input. I verified with MBUSA that the CPO is good til Nov 2010. I'm thinking the same to extend the "time" for 2 additional years. I didn't know you could do that. How much should that run me? I only do about 12K per year so the additional 2 years would definately help.

I came from BMW 5-series, and definately missed the reliability of the bimmers and rock solid handling. I do like the luxury and gadget aspects of MB though.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM

E320
enr1co,
Thanks for your input. I verified with MBUSA that the CPO is good til Nov 2010. I'm thinking the same to extend the "time" for 2 additional years. I didn't know you could do that. How much should that run me? I only do about 12K per year so the additional 2 years would definately help.

I came from BMW 5-series, and definately missed the reliability of the bimmers and rock solid handling. I do like the luxury and gadget aspects of MB though.
Cool, Nov 2010 gives provides some nice runway At time of purchase last March from a Mbz dealer, I was offered the option to purchase the time extension. The cost was $1500 for a 1 yr extension or $1800 for two years- another "gotcha" They played the scarcity card on me as they said I would only be able to purchase it at time of purchase so after being at dealer for 4+ hours already, I just conceded and said "sure, tack it on"

I had an 99' 5 Series wagon (E39) and drove it 170K miles before trading it
in on new 07' Mini Cooper ( lovin it!). In retrospect, the E39 had to be one of the most reliable and enjoyable cars owned. We also had a 3 series ( E46) which was OK but didnt drive as nice as the 5 series. The E46 had 125K on it and it was in need of some upcoming repairs so I figured I would use this as trade in deposit on the E Class while it still had some value.

I dont have complete buyers remorse on purchasing the E320 as the looks,
styling, and test drive is what seduced me into driving it off the lot a few months ago and its still an enjoyable daily drive experience. (I also had a great owner experience with a rock solid 89' 300E which built MBz loyalty- I put 220K on that one ) I do regret being a bit impulsive and not doing enough research on the W211 purchase to understand the issues with this model.

Oh well, still livin' and learning at 47

Last edited by enr1co; 08-01-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
enr1co,
Wow, you are amazingly lucky. That's several thousand $ of value that you found right there...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
post 05 cars should be significantly more reliable then they were... in 06 MB over took BMW and almost ALL luxury manufacturers by leaps and bounds in initial quality testing by JD power and associates
Old 08-01-2008, 03:03 PM

2006 E350 4Matics
Originally Posted by enr1co
They played the scarcity card on me as they said I would only be able to purchase it at time of purchase so after being at dealer for 4+ hours already, I just conceded and said "sure, tack it on"
So this means that I can't separately purchase the "time extension" on the CPO coverage since the car is now post-sale/purchase at this point?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
I believe you can still purchase the 2yrs additional, though it has a 15% surcharge.

Technically CPO will only transfer if car is sold private party. If it is traded into a dealer and then sold, CPO should be dropped......I am assuming you purchased car used from a non-mb dealer.

So you bought it "private party"......
Old 08-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
I hear a faint whistiling noise coming from the engine and rough sound coming from steering when I steer at the maximum angle.
Both covered by CPO (no diagnosis fee):

Whistling noise
MBUSA DTB P-B-13.22/01b DEC07 – Whining or high pitch whistle noise coming from front section of engine may be caused by a faulty upper idler pulley that will be replaced.

Steering noise (may be low fluid)
S-B-46.00/49a MAR08 – SDS diagnostic tree listing the most common conditions and appropriate remedies for the steering system.