E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Where are my cup holders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class 3.2 Diesel 2006
Where are my cup holders

I Live in South Africa, so I do not know if the E Class is different in my country but there are NO CUP HOLDERS.

There are many ashtrays and storage compartments but no cup holders.

Do the American W211's have cup-holders, a picture will be most appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 AMG E53 Cabriolet
mine are in the arm rest. It may be an insert, but that's where 2 of the cupholders are. The ones in the back slide out of the front of the rear seat armrest.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Do you have the center console with the roll top wood opening or the one with the upholstered butterfly doors? There are 2 different center consoles used and the cupholder locations are different. Some countries have a "Trinket Box" which is the hole where the pop up "cup" holder is installed into by sliding it in till it locks in place.

The rear cup holders are in the forward facing part of the lowered rear armrest, I think. Push to open.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM

E Class 3.2 Diesel 2006
I have the upholstered butterfly doors which holds my mobile phone. There is a larger compartment below. But this is an empty box area, In going to find out if I can fit a cup holder here as per the first reply, however this is not a great location.

I also have a compartment next to the Glove Box which is too small to hold sunglasses or a wallet and was wondering if somehow this could be converted into a cup holder as it seems to have no use?

Im not worried about the rear passengers, (By the way they have ashtrays in both rear doors which I find such a waste), surely more people drink than smoke?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:47 PM

04 E500
Berrill, you've got me a little confused. Your information says C-Class, but you're asking about an E. Either way, you can probably find the answer to your question at the M-B Deutschland web page for interactive manuals:

http://tinyurl.com/5wk4hc

Just open the respective manual and click on the "In Depth" section. From there it's just a matter of clicking on "C" and "Cup Holder" and all secrets will be revealed. (Seems like you should have gotten a manual with the car, which also would have that information. If you didn't get one, the interactive manual is especially useful)

The manuals are for the German models, but the cup holders are probably the same everywhere (except for us whiners here in the US who couldn't deal with the original design). The front seat cup holder they show in the current E-Class interactive manual is the same as the one I have in my '04 E.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Just forward of your 2 compartment armrest, on the same level as your shift lever, but further back, there is a small door that opens when you press it. Inside that compartment there is an apparatus that is operated by a push button that pops up the passenger cup holder which also reveals a deep recess which is the drivers soda can holder.

If you dont have this apparatus, but just have a small deep compartment there, then in your market there is no cup holder, or someone removed it... leaving just a small, deep-ish compartment. Ths pop up cup holder is not a very good cup holder anyway.... its a mechanical marvel, yes, but a weak cup holder. Particularly for the passenger side.

The cup holder mechanical insert can be ordered from an authorized MB Dealership in a market for which this is a supplied part because then they will have the part number. It is a simple item to lower into the hole & have it snap into place.
Attached Thumbnails Where are my cup holders-cupholder.jpg  

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-04-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:07 PM

E Class 3.2 Diesel 2006
Barry a picture speaks a thousand words, I have just a deep dish there is no holder as shown on the picture. Hopefully I will be able to get one.

Dan I sold my C Class Coupe as it broke down 1 too many times, the final straw came when the valve chain tensioner failed and the chain jumped off the gears, fortunately no valve damage. I had the 1.8 compressor.

I fixed the car and left it at the dealership as I traded it in on a 2006 pre face lift 3.2 diesel E Class. Im going to update my profile immediately.

Does any one know the part number as indicated by Barry.

By the way I cant believe the power from this diesel

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Berrill, Barry is right, the pop up cup holder is useless. I have a thin travel cup that I can use in the lower holder, #1 in the pic. If you can use the "space" you have there to hold a cup?

Honestly, you will pop the cup holder up and down an few times and Ohh and Ahh at how cool it works...until you put more than anything bigger than a small 6oz coffee cup. Some mech once posted how much money he has made over the years with coffee going all over the shift lever and below, and needing $$$ repairs.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM

2003 W211
Berrill, the part number is 2116800591.

Although I must admit that it's a poorly designed cup holder, it's still nice to have all the OEM 'accessories' that should come with your car...
Old 08-04-2008, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
The passenger cup holder is useless because it only grasps the very bottom of a coffee cup. The tallness of the cup makes it very top-heavy so it will tip over unless you hold the cup with your hand. So who needs the "cup holder"?

The deep well space remaining for the driver's cup will hold our 12 oz. cans of soda very well but not our plastic 16-20 oz plastic soda bottles because of the space taken up by the cup holder mechanism, which narrows the available round well space.

That is why American Spec E's get the new type of center console with the roll top. They eliminated the upper & lower storage compartments & we have 1 deep top opening compartment, which now houses a removeable 2 cup double cup holder jig on the bottom. It leaves no room for anything else to be in the compartment.. but over here we value cup holders because of the number of people commuting by car and the distance they must travel to work, I guess. (Gotta have that morning Coffee, I guess.)

The consoles were redesigned & appeared in all US bound E's some time in Mid Model Year 2005, Springtime, I believe.

Part # 6 in link below.

http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...layCatalogid=0

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-04-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:01 AM

2006 E 320 cdi
Exclamation We Was Robbed

Seems we were robbed in South Africa. My owners manual (attached)shows the pop-up cup holders but my car has a loose plactic box for trinkets. They may no be the best cup holders but any cup holder is better than riding around with a drink in your lap -hot or cold. Can anyone tell me where I can get the pop-ups or an MB part no.???
Attached Thumbnails Where are my cup holders-cupholder.jpg  

Last edited by AlbertS; 11-20-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
In some parts of the world you get what MB calls a "Trinket Box" instead of the US Bound car's cup holder. Its been posted that the part number should be 2116800014.

The Cup holder is a marvel of imagineering, a wonder to watch open, but a crappy cup holder.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:01 AM

2006 E 320 cdi
Question

Thanks Barry,
I'm still confused. When I use that part no on Mercedes Genuine Parts at http://mercedesbenzgenuinep1.reachlo...layCatalogid=0
The illustration is for the "Roll top" stlye console which is not like mine.

Last edited by AlbertS; 11-22-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by AlbertS
Thanks Barry,
I'm still confused. When I use that part no on Mercedes Genuine Parts at http://mercedesbenzgenuinep1.reachlo...layCatalogid=0
The illustration is for the "Roll top" stlye console which is not like mine.
If that's the cas, then I cut and pasted the wrong part number. How's this one? 211 B66920118

...also see here from EBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...Q5fAccessories

BTW the diagram in the link you posted shows both the butterfly lid console and the roll top consoles. Parts 7,8 & 9 are your trinket box & lid & part # 6 is our old style (butterfly lid) cup holder. Part numbers 10,12, & 4 are the butterfly console lid & parts. I believe part 22 is the roll top cup holder insert for the newer console. The Front & Rear designations baffle me, as they don't refer to the front & rear of the car.

...Can anybody else help him out with the diagram? or am I correct?

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-22-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E200 Kompressor
Part no.

Hi AlbertS,

As fellow South African, I can confirm that the cupholder noted in your owners manual is indeed an optional accessory that can be bought at any MB dealership. The part number you are looking for is MB 66920118. It cost me approximately R340 in 2007. Remember that the design of the cupholder is actually for a left hand drive car and when in use can be intrusive for the driver when extended. It's fantastic to see the unit in operation though. Remember you'll have to remove the existing bin before placing the new part.
Some people use the large bin between the gear knob as single cup holder. It surely is large enough when the plastic liner bin is removed.

The rear has their own cupholders integrated in the centre arm console. These work very well.

As far as short changing is concerned, at least we in South Africa got 4 zone climatronic as standard (elegance and avantgarde models), SBC-hold as well as the 80 litre fuel tanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:58 AM

2006 E 320 cdi
Talking

Thanks Ronald K,
You can at least appreciate why we need cup holders here in South Africa. I posted the cup holder request on another forum in the UK and got about 5 replies saying "cup holders should be banned" for many reasons. There is a big difference between here and the UK. It's a 500km trip to Port Elizabeth (nearest town) - 5 hours one day. Our holiday last Sept was 5,000 km! Add the African sun and we "drink and drive" to survive.
With or without a cupholder I'll stick to Mercedes. I drove BMW's for 15 years and Mercs since 1995. Just build quality and safety says it all. Our daughter in Cape Town is still driving my wife's 1998 C180 and it's still going strong. Our E 270CDI is nearly 7 years old and runs and looks like new. BMW's are great cars - but don't keep them too long! Next one will be an E350cdi or maybe an S class if we can afford it. Nothing's perfect - but Merc gets closer every year.
Thanks to all for the help and advice.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:17 AM

2006 E 320 cdi
RonaldK,
Sorry, confused again. My owners manual (above post) shows 1) "left" and 2) "right". I assumed for driver and front passenger - like all my other cars, bakkies, & SUVs have had for years. Are you saying it holds only one cup - and it's on the wrong side?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
When the cup holder opens up & raises, the raised portion "holds" (heh heh) 1 cup, and the remaining hole where the unit was when folded down holds a 12 oz Coke can.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E200 Kompressor
Picture is a thousand words

No, the cup holders hold 2 cups (left - passenger in RSA and right - driver) as shown by the two cans in position in the picture. However, the right cup holder extends over to the driver's side (where the passenger would have been in european countries) and limits your (driver's) movement for instance to change the gear lever position.

The best add-on to these vehicles is the boot (trunk) net and the pull-down bag holder as indicated in my second pictures. These are very handy when you only have a few bags / articles to place in the boot (trunk).
Attached Thumbnails Where are my cup holders-cupholders.jpg   Where are my cup holders-boot.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
My '07 came with a "2 hook" pull down bag holder mounted under the rear shelf right side near the trunk lid weatherstripping. It will hold a whole bunch of plastic undershirt type plastic bags by their handles from the supermarket.

The trunk floor net is good too. The plastic "hooks in USA cars are already mounted to the floor.

They also make a net that goes from tail light to tail light that is open across the whole top side to side.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:32 PM

2004 E500 4 Matic
Is anyone aware of an aftermarket cupholder that fits into the space vacated by a broken "pop-up" cupholder in the clamshell-style console?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by mgzych
Is anyone aware of an aftermarket cupholder that fits into the space vacated by a broken "pop-up" cupholder in the clamshell-style console?
No aftermarket cup holder. But you can order the pop up cupholder from a dealer or get one at a junkyard.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 10-15-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:26 PM

2004 E500 4 Matic
Yeah, I've found the OEM holder in a few places. I was hoping that someone had found something a bit more functional that could occupy the same space. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1992 300D
I did mine this way: