E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What is the benefit of a lip spoiler ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 silver e550 p2 pano sport
What is the benefit of a lip spoiler ?

With the strategic objective of optimum performance from a Mercedes-Benz passenger sedan, AMG made a decision, evidently from a tactical perspective, to include a lip spoiler on their interpretation of the Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan. . . or is that not the case ?

Is the lip spoiler a design enhancement "fashion statement" - OR - is there a tangible mechanical/aerodynamic metric - or any perceived convenience factor (cleanliness ?) that was considered in the AMG engineers' decision ?

Curious only . . . I'm intrigued by substantial, verifiable, tangible metrics.

Last edited by Buddy Rabbit; 08-09-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
I got my front CF lip and rear spoiler for design enhancements. I'm not sure if they have any aerodynamic improvement.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:00 AM

GL350
Under 80/mph is a "fashion statement'' , over 80/mph the aerodynamic stuff kicks in.Drag coefficiency,downforce etc..

Last edited by georgedaman; 08-09-2008 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:53 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
How about Gas Mileage, drag, etc? I'm assuming they'd engineer it with little to no extra drag, but putting a little chunck of anything up on a panel on your car and you'd think it would give some kind of drag?

I've been toying with getting a lip on my Car, and I think I'm the only person who doesn't think they look too great in all cases....even with the AMG styling, I think the deck-lid and the way it sweeps up by itself looks clean. Some Lips look odd, as it's thin piece of something glued onto the deck....Then in some cases it looks great.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
i have a BRABUS lip spoiler
Old 08-09-2008, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
On our cars, a lip spoiler adds as much to the car as body side moulding does. (Which does nothing unless the car next to yours has mouldings at the same place as the highest arc of the sheet metal on YOUR car... otherwise their open door will miss your moulding anyway!)

Because it comes on the E63 only (supposedly) it identifies the car as an AMG car from further away than you can read the badging.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:57 AM

FJ Cruiser/E350
Originally Posted by Buddy Rabbit
With the strategic objective of optimum performance from a Mercedes-Benz passenger sedan, AMG made a decision, evidently from a tactical perspective, to include a lip spoiler on their interpretation of the Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan. . . or is that not the case ?

Is the lip spoiler a design enhancement "fashion statement" - OR - is there a tangible mechanical/aerodynamic metric - or any perceived convenience factor (cleanliness ?) that was considered in the AMG engineers' decision ?

Curious only . . . I'm intrigued by substantial, verifiable, tangible metrics.
Putting way too much thought into this...

As others have mentioned, lip spoilers are generally aesthetics just as the choice of wheel designs or molding designs are added to a car to set one model apart from another. A real spoiler would be functional at higher speeds
Old 08-10-2008, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by juniorbean
A real spoiler would be functional at higher speeds
But not any rear spoiler. Unless it is OEM or a good copy, I would not assume even real benefits at higher speeds (that is like autobahn speed), perhaps some minor downforce at the expense of significant additional drag (the bigger the first, the bigger the second).

If you consider the aesthetic part positive, that would be the real decision factor.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Putting way too much thought into this...

As others have mentioned, lip spoilers are generally aesthetics just as the choice of wheel designs or molding designs are added to a car to set one model apart from another. A real spoiler would be functional at higher speeds

I always thought no matter how useless a mod was, it added at least 15hp to engine output and improved mpg. Since I added an OEM E63 spoiler to my Bluetec, it seems to run faster, smoother, quieter and gives better mpg, even though I have absolutely no evidence to support that claim.