E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Cool things I've learned in a little over a month of E class ownership.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 AMG E53 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by K-A
Sorry to go O/T, but how did your S80 treat you and how did it break down? I'm looking for a cheap DD to get me cross state on my frequent work trips and need something safe, for the money nothing comes close in the safety department....
I had it for a couple of years and it was a bad experience. I'd heard bad things about volvos from friends, but I just chalked that up to them buying high mileage entry level models. I figured with a lower mileage (35,000 or so when I bought it) flagship model, I should be ok. I got it cheap from a family member, so the loss of money wasn't the problem, just the hassle. In fact, the tax deduction I'll claim this year from donating it to the Kidney folks should cover my sweetheart purchase price.

It was a 2000 model. The paint was poor, and the interior was not weathering well after 7 years.

Problems:

I had the car die on me due to an electrical issue.

The factory wheels seemed too big for the car, so whenever I turned the steering wheel all the way to one side or the other, the tires hit the wheel well.

The "check abs" light was on all the time. I took it to the volvo shop and they told me their diagnostic machine said there was no problem with the abs brakes, just the sensor in the car that is suppose to warn you if there is a problem with the abs brakes. If I wanted to replace the sensor, it would cost me $800.

It had power steering problems. Even after taking it in and paying the shop twice to fix it, I was having to put power steering fluid in the power steering fluid reservoir once a week.

The sunroof rattled like it wasn't really that well connected. I got the impression that gravity was keeping it in place.

The check engine light would come on, then go out, then come on?????

At 51,000 the timing belt snapped and I was quoted $7000 for a new engine or $5000 for a rebuilt one with 80,000 miles on it.

All in all, not a good experience.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car
Originally Posted by usc96
- The windows and sunroof can be lowered remotely to cool the car by holding down the unlock button on the key.
my 11 y.o. Nissan does this.
G.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah I'd like to. It's just that drive took ALOT out of my last Car, couldn't wash it enough, ran over stuff, just turned into a POS too fast, then I totalled it. Also I don't want to blow through my Warranty so fast. I'd like to enjoy this one as a "normal" person would I guess, although buying a whole other car for the situation is obviously not the best financial choice.

BTW, I tried the Mirror Assist thing and IT DOESN'T WORK DAMNIT!! It was on "On" already on the Conveniance Menu, then I put the switch on my Door on the right side for Passenger Mirror control, and it kind of moved a tad when I put the Car in reverse, then just didn't do anything at all. I take it it's probably not working? Damnit, just got my Car back from the Dealer too.

Also, what is the "Key" thing on that same Menu, can't remember the actual name, but it sounded like it was describing if I needed a Key for operating something.....I don't have Keyless Go though? Also, there was something for "Seats" and Wheel I think adjustment. Anyone know what all those things under "Conveniance" are?

Sorry if my writing looks like jibberish right now, I feel like hell while typing this and my brain ain't working right, hehe.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks USC96. Wow, yeah I've heard some bad stories about them too. Your experience makes me want to steer clear at all costs. That's really too bad as for the price you can't find any cars with close to the Safety of that Car. No wonder they're so cheap obviously.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah I'd like to. It's just that drive took ALOT out of my last Car, couldn't wash it enough, ran over stuff, just turned into a POS too fast, then I totalled it. Also I don't want to blow through my Warranty so fast. I'd like to enjoy this one as a "normal" person would I guess, although buying a whole other car for the situation is obviously not the best financial choice.

BTW, I tried the Mirror Assist thing and IT DOESN'T WORK DAMNIT!! It was on "On" already on the Conveniance Menu, then I put the switch on my Door on the right side for Passenger Mirror control, and it kind of moved a tad when I put the Car in reverse, then just didn't do anything at all. I take it it's probably not working? Damnit, just got my Car back from the Dealer too.

Also, what is the "Key" thing on that same Menu, can't remember the actual name, but it sounded like it was describing if I needed a Key for operating something.....I don't have Keyless Go though? Also, there was something for "Seats" and Wheel I think adjustment. Anyone know what all those things under "Conveniance" are?

Sorry if my writing looks like jibberish right now, I feel like hell while typing this and my brain ain't working right, hehe.

Yes - there are a few options under that menu on the pre-2007 cars.

To operate the mirror park assist, ensure the option is turned on in the instrument cluster, and select the passenger side mirror for adjustment. Place the car in reverse and notice the mirror may move slightly. Adjust it to your personal preference (typically so you can see the rear tire). Now, when you place the vehicle back in another gear, the mirror should return to the previous position. When you place the vehicle back in reverse, it will tilt back down to the previous setting.

As for the seat stuff, my car has an "Easy Exit" feature which allows the car to raise the steering wheel to the highest position and move the seat back when you turn the car off and remove the key (or on Keyless-Go equipped cars, when you open the driver's door). Depending on how far the seat is already positioned, it may not move it back anymore when you remove the key.

The other option, Key Dependent, will remember the seat, mirror, and steering wheel position depending on the SmartKey being used. To try that, turn it on, and move the seat/wheel/mirror. Then, insert another key and select a different combination of settings. When you insert the first SmartKey, things should automatically adjust to where they were.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thank you SO much Polar Bear!! So that's why my Mirror Assist didn't work, I'll give that a try. The other stuff sounds cool too
Old 09-04-2008, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
Yes - there are a few options under that menu on the pre-2007 cars.

To operate the mirror park assist, ensure the option is turned on in the instrument cluster, and select the passenger side mirror for adjustment. Place the car in reverse and notice the mirror may move slightly. Adjust it to your personal preference (typically so you can see the rear tire). Now, when you place the vehicle back in another gear, the mirror should return to the previous position. When you place the vehicle back in reverse, it will tilt back down to the previous setting.

You also have to make the car memorize your chosen mirror look down position, AND always leave ther morror select button with the curb side button pressed in for it to work.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:47 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Finally did it. The only thing that sucks is if I leave the switch on the Passenger Door, the Mirror stays pointing down to my parking setting, which makes me have to switch it back to the driver side in order for it to go back up to normal.

....At the same time, I do have to say that is an ideal way of having it now that I think about it, I mean, I've always hated how Bimmers put it down everytime you go in reverse, it's dangerous IMO as when backing out of a spot you can't see other objects out of that Mirror.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Ahh, I was a business major myself, graduated in May. I could def give him some inside info on classes/professors. My little brother is still there, Junior in Marshall. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Awesome, I sent him the link, he'll probably contact you. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 PM

2007 A8L 4.2
Originally Posted by jwex2
I am not sure whhat is meant by switching fuses to power a 12 v port at all times. Do you mean switch the wires ? Which ones? It would surely help with charging phones overnight.
The fuse box under the hood, drivers side, next to the firewall. Fuse 55 and 56 I think, each have 2 locations, placing it on the opposite location makes the cig lighter powered on continuously.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by tashakes
The fuse box under the hood, drivers side, next to the firewall. Fuse 55 and 56 I think, each have 2 locations, placing it on the opposite location makes the cig lighter powered on continuously.
Cool. Thank you. Will try that - that has always annoyed me since my SmartPhone barely lasts throughout the day and short trips keep interrupting the charging process.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
1- I also discovered (if its of any help) that the headrests are adjustable ... Pull the cusion forward from underneath the headrest and it will slide upwards till fits the skull best..

2- You can reset your transmission, which adapts to your driving style every ~ 300 miles ..... I had been upshifting early just to get the best mpg numbers and noticed the tranny adapted to it ... now I'm trying to keep ample gas to upshift over 2k rpm and looks like tranny is adapting to this

3- Rear Fog lamp is lit only on driver's side ... the philosophy is not to hint the car behind that brakes pedal is depressed..

4- you can reset you command console (some combination of 3, 6, 9 ..)

5- mbdoctor has a stock navigation you can hookup (there's a post on here that explains in detail)

.... more engine related stuff i learnt that might get a bit technical
Old 09-18-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by 007_e350
.... more engine related stuff i learnt that might get a bit technical
Pls. share. I enjoy reading about the technical aspects of the car. Tks.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:35 AM

I Drive whichever has gas
2 Things I don't like

Here are two things I don't like; I'm posting this way, 'cuz maybe there's a fix that I don't know about!

BlueTooth - I have the "Puck", and when on my phone nearby the car (i.e. walking thru the garage, etc), the BT will turn on without the car starting or anything else. - it just takes over...

Radio does not have RDS.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by jeffrey2
Here are two things I don't like; I'm posting this way, 'cuz maybe there's a fix that I don't know about!

BlueTooth - I have the "Puck", and when on my phone nearby the car (i.e. walking thru the garage, etc), the BT will turn on without the car starting or anything else. - it just takes over...

Radio does not have RDS.
If you leave the car, lock it and move further away from the car so that the phone disconnects, the car should go to sleep in a few minutes and after that it should not pick the near by phone again before you open the door.

My radio does have RDS, I would have assumed US radios having the US equivalent.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
No RDS or equivalent on E Class US radios.

(Raduio Data System)
Old 12-31-2008, 03:57 AM

2007 E-350
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
No RDS or equivalent on E Class US radios.
This is one option I really miss. I wish there was a way to enable this on my car.

Another nice option would be to display iPod data on the Nav screen instead of on the MFD.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:03 PM

05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by K-A
Which Factory defaults will be Set when you hold the Gas down?

Also, how the h** do you make the mirror tilt downwards when reversing?
The Factory Defaults don't necessarily get reset, the ECU defaults the adaptive transmission feature and you get to drive like a maniac with hotter throttle response, tranny holds in gear longer up rpm range, etc... There's an entire thread about this little feature that guys rave about... Try it...
Turn key to "ON", press throttle to floor and hold, turn key to "OFF", release throttle, wait at least 2 minutes... Voila, Hot Rod mode... Stays this way until you go back to normal driving style and tranny adapts to it...

Also, the reversing passenger side mirror thingy, it's set in your COMMAND console, under "convenience" if I remember right...

Last edited by sdunham; 12-31-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Thanks guys!
I turned on my parking assist today and was able to adjust the mirror to my desired angle.
I also turned on the easy access feature today too. It's nice to see the steering wheel rise up when I am exiting.

Because of this thread and toying with these settings, I was finally able to adjust my analog clock in the instrument cluster to the proper time (It was an hour ahead).

One feature I like is being able to tap the turn signal stick so that it only blinks three times and i don't have to pull it back up if not in a tight turn (like on the highway).
Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 PM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
The analog dash clock adjusts to time zones automagically when crossing time zones.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:27 PM

GL350-Bluetec P1
These tips are great. Bluetooth is great other when I dial from my blackberry I always get UNK as the number dialed...Bluetooth isn't quite perfected yet.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
I don't have the mirror adjust thing in my MFD settings menu??
Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 PM

E 500 4matic, MINI John Cooper Works
Originally Posted by K-A
Which Factory defaults will be Set when you hold the Gas down?

Also, how the h** do you make the mirror tilt downwards when reversing?
Can't answer the first question but on the second one - go to your steering wheel and push the file buttons a few times (this is all in the owners manual) when you get to the program that say's I believe "convienence" push it and it will ultimately give you some prompt re the passenger mirror when in reverse - If you look at the manual and take it with you to the car and follow it's all there - truly none of that system for me was "intuitive" like my Mac - but with time you'll figure it out - I went down to my garage one evening shortly after I got the car and actually tried to read through that massive owners manual - amazing stuff in there -

I have an #E500 4matic with sport pkg. so I had to read all that junk too - it is fun though if you like that stuff

Steve
Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 AM

GL350-Bluetec P1
I'll have to check does it have to be on the passenger side setting for reverse to work? I could have sworn it works with driver side set too...
Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by usc96
- The trunk latch in the driver side door not only opens the trunk if pulled, but also closes the trunk if pushed.
This does not work on my 07 E350. Is this an optional feature?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cool things I've learned in a little over a month of E class ownership.