E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Interior Mood Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Mercedes E320
My four footwells light upon opening any door, no footwell lighting otherwise at night even though ambient lighting is "on", but I agree the sales brochure does talk about the ambient lighting including footwells. I guess if you set it at 5, some of the light gets that far.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:07 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Confusion

OK... we have:

a) ambient lighting we all have and can turn up/down/off

b) reading lights and "big" front and back lights; on/off via switches

c) a little yellow "always on" light underneath the mirror.

That's on my standard E320 (Canadian standard, that is). No extras.

Michael
Old 01-16-2003, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
A little off subject..but when are the lights under the exterior mirrors supposed to come on. When I unlock the car the parking lights and interior lights come on but I have not notice the lights under the outside mirrors on. I think I set the "surround lighting" in the menu.

Ed
Old 01-17-2003, 09:57 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
My under mirror lights illuminate when I unlock at night, along with the interior lights. Try holding your hand under the light and you'll notice the ground is illuminated. I only get the exterior front and rear lights on when the light switch is in "Auto". I believe on prior models, you got the exterior "surround lighting" (used to be "locator lighting") -when activated-even with the light switch off.

Last edited by jim256; 01-17-2003 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by jim256
My under mirror lights illuminate when I unlock at night, along with the interior lights. Try holding your hand under the light and you'll notice the ground is illuminated. I only get the exterior front and rear lights on when the light switch is in "Auto". I believe on prior models, you got the exterior "surround lighting" (used to be "locator lighting") -when activated-even with the light switch off.
Jim....I still do not get any light from under the exterior mirrors.
Can you run thru the settings and the actual steps to get the lights on when you unlock the door. Maybe something is wrong with mine.

Ed
Old 01-19-2003, 10:05 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Ed- sure. I have surround (locator) lighting on, but I discovered since this thread directed my attention there that whenever I unlock the car with the fob OR simply open the door, whether the light switch is on Auto or Off, I get the under mirror lights. It seems to work on the same circuit as the front interior overhead light, and dims out with that as well. (I have headlight delay and interior delay both turned on, and door activated overhead lighting on.) If I have the door open and turn off the door switch activation (middle switch in overhead console), the overhead interior light and the under mirror lights both extinguish simultaneously. The footwell lights remain on.

I have been checking this in the garage or at night, so I'm not sure if in overhead sun any of these lights come on. I seem to recall (maybe on my '01 C rather than this car) that the interior lights only activate with doors when the sun sensor tells them to, but I haven't checked that here specifically.

Let me know if you need any other setting info. I added all the other options I have (and don't have!) to my signature but I doubt any affect this.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Jim...

Thanks, as usual the answer was very simple. For some reason, I had the interior overhead light turned off. Not only were the lights under the mirrors not coming on..neither were the interior lights.:p Some how I did not notice.

When the answer is simple it does take a step by step direction to see the obvious.

Thanks again.

Ed
Old 01-19-2003, 12:34 PM

2003 E500
its in the multifunction display, under I think ;lighting' and then 'approach lights' or 'surround lights'..its an odd title.
in the 'settings' sectiopn....the same place where you set automatic door locks, 'delayed headlamp OFF', delayed internal lights fadeout on locking etc.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by jposhea3
its in the multifunction display, under I think ;lighting' and then 'approach lights' or 'surround lights'..its an odd title.
in the 'settings' sectiopn....the same place where you set automatic door locks, 'delayed headlamp OFF', delayed internal lights fadeout on locking etc.
Actually, it was me being a moron. I did not have the interior overhead lights activated (why? I have no idea!) and the exterior mirror entry lights are tied to the interior overhead lights.

I had all the menu items correct...just lights turned off.

Ed