E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Interior Mood Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
E500 Interior Mood Lights

I know you can adjust the brightness of the interior dome light from 1-5, but has anyone figured how to take it down to zero - not on at all? Ditto on the small light beam shining down underneath the rear view mirror? I find both annoying while driving at night.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: E500 Interior Mood Lights

Originally posted by MJH53
I know you can adjust the brightness of the interior dome light from 1-5, but has anyone figured how to take it down to zero - not on at all? Ditto on the small light beam shining down underneath the rear view mirror? I find both annoying while driving at night.

hi, i believe when you select it, you can adjust it to 0 by looking below the #'s, i might be way off, but that is how i remembered it, you can turn off the rear one by just holding the dim button
Old 01-03-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
If you are referring to the reading light (under the rear view mirror), you can simply push the button to turn it off. (p.27 of the Manual - button Nos. 5 & 14).

Also, Button No 1 on the Overhead Control Panel will switch the Dome Light/Rear Interior Lighting off (p.27)
Old 01-03-2003, 07:28 PM

03 E500
Oh! You mean a manual comes with these things?

I'll check it out but I'm not holding out promise for an adjustment to ZERO or that the ambiant mood light built into the base of the rear view mirror is adjustable. You're obviously correct about the on/off of the map lights above the rear view mirror.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:34 PM

2013 S550
Ambient Lighting

Actually, I've gotten some really positive comments about the ambient lighting. Unfortunately, it's only been when I've taken people outside of Houston. Anyone in a major metropolitan area knows how much light pollution exists -- I've got to drive ~30 miles just to realize stars still exist...

I wish some ambitious individual would post a poll on the level people set their ambient lighting. I have to use 4 around the city. Maybe I'll do it if I can figure it out -- never tried the poll thing before.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:20 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
I may be misunderstanding your comment, but the lights in the mirror are controlled by the reading lamp switches in the overhead console as saintvir points out. The lights above the mirror are the area lights. I don't have any light beam shining down underneath the rear view mirror unless I turn one on.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:37 AM

03 E500
This may be unique to the 500. Everyone's accurate about the map lights being integrated into the rear view mirror and the control swithches above in the overhead console, but there is another light bulb integrated into the bottom side of the rear view mirror that casts a low level of light down in a straight line towards the shift gate. This bulb is no bigger than a #4 screw head. It appears to be linked to the ambient lighting that's controlled through the convenience menu in the instrument cluster.

This light, and the overhead dome light create the ambient, or mood lighting. My original question was if anyone knew how to take these lights below setting 1, or turn them totall off?

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
This may be unique to the 500. Everyone's accurate about the map lights being integrated into the rear view mirror and the control swithches above in the overhead console, but there is another light bulb integrated into the bottom side of the rear view mirror that casts a low level of light down in a straight line towards the shift gate. This bulb is no bigger than a #4 screw head. It appears to be linked to the ambient lighting that's controlled through the convenience menu in the instrument cluster.

This light, and the overhead dome light create the ambient, or mood lighting. My original question was if anyone knew how to take these lights below setting 1, or turn them totall off?

i believe there is no way to turn off the very small bulb
Old 01-04-2003, 08:35 PM

2003 E500
the ambient lighting is the ring light around each dome light (front and rear), plus lights in the footwells, plus lights in the door handles, and the light that is under the mirror which illuminates the console/shifter - the radio buttons, the heated seat buttons, stuff like that.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:07 PM

'23 EQE 350 4MATIC

Ambient Lighting can be turned completely OFF through the Multifunction Steering Wheel Settings menu > Lighting Submenu which starts on p.138 of the Manual. Ambient Lighting instructions are on p.140.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:48 PM

03 E500
St. Vir - You're like a live operating manual. I'll move out to the garage and attempt a total kill. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:00 PM

'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
St. Vir - You're like a live operating manual. I'll move out to the garage and attempt a total kill. Thanks.
Don't mention it ... Glad I could help.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:37 PM

03 E500
No kill allowed. You're right about the manual instructions, and what's displayed in the ambient lighting adjustment screen. It does provide for a 1-5 or OFF option. However, the OFF selection acts the same as the "1" selection - very low. There is no way to "KILL" the ambient lighting - at least from what I can figure.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2003, 02:22 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
MJH53--I did find the glowing mirror lamp last night, so the 320 has it as well. It's really hard to see what that light contributes to the ambient lighting from the overhead halo.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:27 PM

'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
I killed it!!!

No kill allowed. You're right about the manual instructions, and what's displayed in the ambient lighting adjustment screen. It does provide for a 1-5 or OFF option. However, the OFF selection acts the same as the "1" selection - very low. There is no way to "KILL" the ambient lighting - at least from what I can figure.

Thanks

Now you got my attention ...

I went to the garage and turned Ambient Lighting OFF thru the Lighting submenu. The halo around the front interior lights went Off ... completely!

For the Rear dome light, I pushed and held the Dimmer button until the halo went off ... no light at all; no glow ... no nothing. So far it worked as advertised

As far as the light under the Rear View mirror (the really tiny orange/yellow-pin-***** light bulb just behind the middle Homelink button) ... that remained ON. You were right about that. I wonder what that teeny-weeny light is for ...
Old 01-06-2003, 05:37 PM

2003 E500
Re: I killed it!!!

Originally posted by saintvir

As far as the light under the Rear View mirror (the really tiny orange/yellow-pin-***** light bulb just behind the middle Homelink button) ... that remained ON. You were right about that. I wonder what that teeny-weeny light is for ...
I assume it's there because the buttons on the hazard panel and on the radio are not illuminated from the rear, and absent the little tiny light you wouldn't be able to read them in the dark?

i need a pitch-black place to test that theory though

UPDATE - ok, the buttons *are* backlit...and their brightness is controlled by the rheostat at the left of the clock (aka the reset button)

Last edited by jposhea3; 01-06-2003 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:56 PM

03 E500
I'll try Saint Vir's fix. The small pin light is less bothersome than the halo around the dome light.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:12 PM

'03 E320
:o As far as the light under the Rear View mirror

In the US, this small light brightness level is directly tied to the instrument panel lighting adjustment / reset knob. It is not apparent that it adds much to center console unless turned up to the max setting. Maybe some day we will have better level of appreciation.
Hope that this helps explain.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:13 PM

2000 audq a6
so---- simple question?
U can leave the ambient light on level 3
yet adjust the cluster lighting seperately for the consol by rotating the reset button??
Old 01-06-2003, 10:21 PM

'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Re: :o As far as the light under the Rear View mirror

Originally posted by briar
In the US, this small light brightness level is directly tied to the instrument panel lighting adjustment / reset knob. It is not apparent that it adds much to center console unless turned up to the max setting. Maybe some day we will have better level of appreciation.
Hope that this helps explain.
Just tried it again: I can confirm that this pin light is tied in to the instrument cluster lighting adjustment; hence, it cannot be turned off completely... just like the rest of the instrument cluster lights.

MJH53, turning the reset button to its lowest setting (counterclockwise) will minimize the brightness of this pin light.

mike_fern, you are right - the reset button is independent of the Ambient light setting ... which appears to control ONLY the front overhead lights. The brightness of the Rear dome light can be set using the dimmer buttons and is not affected by the setting of the Ambient light.

New things to learn everyday ... :p
Old 01-07-2003, 02:10 PM

03 E500
Confirmed to everyone. The outer mood ring on the rear dome light is controlled by the bright/dimm buttons. Stupid me - did not even know they were there, and could not find any reference in the manual. My problem is solved. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:17 PM

'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Confirmed to everyone. The outer mood ring on the rear dome light is controlled by the bright/dimm buttons. Stupid me - did not even know they were there, and could not find any reference in the manual. My problem is solved. Thanks.
Those dimmer buttons are not mentioned anywhere in the Manual. I myself didn't know what they were for until bmms8 told me! :o
Old 01-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Almost a Member!

OK, I have a different question about ambient lighting... In the large color "sales" booklet we all got from our salesman when we first starting looking at the new E states, "once you are underway, soft environmental comfort lighting of the console, door handles, ceiling and footwells gives a soothing ambience." My new E320 has lighting in all the above except for the footwells. Does anyone get ambient lighting in both the front and rear footwells? I tried all 5 settings. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:25 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
I do not see lighting in my front footwells while the rear footwells are clearly visible.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:31 PM

03 E500
I'll get lighting in the footwells upon opening either a front or rear door, but I havn't noticed lighted footwells while driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E500 Interior Mood Lights