E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Converting 2003 e320 to 2007/08 e350 facelift look: Part 1: front bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting 2003 e320 to 2007/08 e350 facelift look: Part 1: front bumper

I been intending to do this for a while..and I'm watching the pre-MMA elitexc fights before the kimbo fight..so I got some free time

This is a base model facelift for my 03 e320 to the 07/08 e350 look.

Here is a before/after look...(I couldn't find any pics of the old look of my car so I grabed one from the internet, but it looks exactly the same)

before

after

The most difficult process for my body shop was finding the correct parts. My body shop could have had it done in about 3 days(Including painting bumper) but it turned out to be about 3 weeks due to the mercedes dealer giving the wrong part two times. Also, another tip for anyone else who wants to do this...let your bodyshop buy the parts..They get discounts on parts and they can return those pesky special order parts that are non-returnable...I got stuck with a couple of parts that I couldn't return and now have to sell them at a lost .

Ok the parts/process is essentially same as the amg facelift that others have posted.

What you need...
facelifted bumper(you will also need towhook cover for bumper,also if you have carlight water system cover...it can be re-used from old bumper)

hood grill
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9072/img0153bb8.jpg

fog lights

bottom bumper mesh/fog light holders/fog light chrome trim/bumper chrome trim

left bumper reinforcement/right bumper reinforcement

center bumper reinforcement

bumper Styrofoam absorber center piece

bumper Styrofoam absorber left piece/bumper Styrofoam absorber right piece

bumper Styrofoam absorber far left piece/bumper Styrofoam absorber far right piece

part numbers
169-820-15-56 - fog lights
211-885-11-74 - left chrome fog light trim
211-885-12-74 - right chrome fog light trim
211-885-08-22 - right fog light holder
211-885-09-22 - left fog light holder
211-885-24-21 - right chrome bumper trim
211-885-23-21 - left chrome bumper trim
211-880-07-52 - front bumper reinforcement
211-880-03-52 - left bumper reinforcement
211-880-04-52 - right bumper reinforcement
211-885-01-37 - left Styrofoam absorber
211-885-02-37 - right Styrofoam absorber
211-885-00-37 - center Styrofoam absorber
211-885-07-37 - left Styrofoam absorber
211-885-08-37 - right Styrofoam absorber
211-885-23-21 - chrome bumper trim

Total estimation of the cost of this:

Parts: ~1100(Would have been about $125 cheaper if I had gotten body shop to buy all my parts, instead of doing some of it myself..also I purchased my hood grill from a forum member for a nice price..and I got my bumper off of ebay for a great price)

Labor: ~560(Including painting)

So About $1660 total cost...But That is actually misrepresentation of the real price..Once I sell my old e320 bumper/fog lights/bumper assembly..The total cost could substantially be extremely lower.

Future updates:
I have already purchased the face lift headlights..but am debating whether to sell those and just use the headlight chrome covers that another mbworld member has(they look just as good )...Also I might also be changing my back bumper to the amg 55/63 bumper..or might just do some cutouts on my current bumper for exhaust tips.

Last edited by erifly; 10-04-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:12 AM

2003 e320
same parts?

If i were doing the conversion but using the Amg package front end, would i still use all the same part numbers? Can i re-use the clips and mounts, etc.. from the original bumper? thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 AM

I'm pretty certain at minimum the bumper reinforcements would be different for an amg one. And the clips would not change regardless what type of w211 bumper you were using. But if I was you would just talk to a body shop/mercedes dealer to be %100 sure.
Originally Posted by nikkatine
If i were doing the conversion but using the Amg package front end, would i still use all the same part numbers? Can i re-use the clips and mounts, etc.. from the original bumper? thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC AMG43
I dig the upgrade... Your car looks great...Hopefully I can find the same prices for the work and parts here on the West Coast..
Old 10-07-2008, 03:12 PM

2004 E320
what if i want to do this front end conversion to my 04 e320 but my car doesnt have that water system feature ... how are those covers supposed to stay in place? 0r do i just shave that?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Hey I actually have the face lift bumper without the water holes. Ordered it by accident. I was trying to trade someone an amg 55/63 rear bumper for it. But if you want, I can sell it to you.
Originally Posted by black211
what if i want to do this front end conversion to my 04 e320 but my car doesnt have that water system feature ... how are those covers supposed to stay in place? 0r do i just shave that?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:35 AM

2003 e320
Was your total cost for parts including the front bumper and grill or just the parts that you listed with the part numbers? I already have the front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts, and i am just trying to see if all the mesh grills, reinforcements , and other parts are going to cost a lot becuase i kind of ran low on money in my budget hehe. Thanks for your post by the way, VERY helpful and informing.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 AM

You got the facelift rear bumper? I think its identical to the older w211 model tho. My total price included bumper and the grill. But Excluding the grill/bumper/fog lights...Almost every part was around 35 dollars each for the left and right component. e.g. left bumper attachment ~35, right bumper attachment ~35.
Was your total cost for parts including the front bumper and grill or just the parts that you listed with the part numbers? I already have the front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts, and i am just trying to see if all the mesh grills, reinforcements , and other parts are going to cost a lot becuase i kind of ran low on money in my budget hehe. Thanks for your post by the way, VERY helpful and informing.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 PM

2003 e320
Yea i got a facelift rear bumper, only because i have a 03 320 sport rear and it does not have exhaust cut outs. It's too hard to find a used e55 rear or 63 rear with quad cutouts, so i just went with a stock rear ... didn't want to buy a replica or bodykit. Atleast the one i got came with a rear diffuser.. its got a small 1" crack on the corner of the diffuser but not really noticeable. I was wondering if i could get E63 foglights in the regular Amg package bumper? Bumper look the same besides side vents. Or i was considering the projector ones on ebay. Those are pretty decently priced and may make the fogs stand out more.. who knows.. I just lowered my car using adjustable air links, and now i think i may have lowered it too much .. becuase i think the amg bumper is a little lower.. guess i'll see when i put the bumper on for a test fit.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM

Yeah I am actually looking to trade my other facelifted bumper with an amg rear bumper. Yeah I'm not even sure about the fogs.
Yea i got a facelift rear bumper, only because i have a 03 320 sport rear and it does not have exhaust cut outs. It's too hard to find a used e55 rear or 63 rear with quad cutouts, so i just went with a stock rear ... didn't want to buy a replica or bodykit. Atleast the one i got came with a rear diffuser.. its got a small 1" crack on the corner of the diffuser but not really noticeable. I was wondering if i could get E63 foglights in the regular Amg package bumper? Bumper look the same besides side vents. Or i was considering the projector ones on ebay. Those are pretty decently priced and may make the fogs stand out more.. who knows.. I just lowered my car using adjustable air links, and now i think i may have lowered it too much .. becuase i think the amg bumper is a little lower.. guess i'll see when i put the bumper on for a test fit.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM

2003 e320
Hey did you have any problems with the hood latch at all? i didn't know if i needed to extend it or even replace with a newer one? I am also trying to get the grill thats almost like stock but has the star in the middle.. i've seen it before here on the forums and liked it, but cant find any more pictures of it on a car. Formymercedes has it though. Just something to make it look a little different i guess. I am waiting for a front lip to come out for the amg package bumper.. i want it painted to match though and not carbon fiber. I'm trying to get all of this done before i put all my stereo stuff in.. looks like its going to be the opposite now
Old 10-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Yes I did. I should have added that to this thread. Good catch. The latch needs to be extended. It's not a must, I mean with the right maneuvering you can reach it and open the hood but its a pain and such a simple fix. They have tons of those with the star in the middle on ebay and probaly for a cheaper price.
Hey did you have any problems with the hood latch at all? i didn't know if i needed to extend it or even replace with a newer one? I am also trying to get the grill thats almost like stock but has the star in the middle.. i've seen it before here on the forums and liked it, but cant find any more pictures of it on a car. Formymercedes has it though. Just something to make it look a little different i guess. I am waiting for a front lip to come out for the amg package bumper.. i want it painted to match though and not carbon fiber. I'm trying to get all of this done before i put all my stereo stuff in.. looks like its going to be the opposite now
Old 10-11-2008, 01:11 AM

2003 e320
how do i extend the latch? i ordered my new grill from formymercedes.com because the grill i'm talking about isn't the ones on ebay, but almost like the stock grill, except with a star in the middle. It's got the chrome surround and black fins also, just like stock. The closest looking one on ebay doesn't have the mercedes emblem inlaid on the top of the grill, and the fins are silver or something and not black. The grill i got actually cost more than the stock one Geez.. moddin is expensive... anyhow... Yea any help on extending the latch would be great, since i don't know if there is a newer longer style latch i can buy from the dealer.. or if i have to retrofit a longer plastic piece to the stock latch...?
Old 10-11-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
You can buy the 07+ hood catch from the dealer... just ask them to look it up. For anyone wanting to buy the amg front bumper (i.e. E63, E55) complete (incl bumper cover, chrome strips, reinforcement, misc screws etc.) there is a part number for this in the accessories catalog. It makes it a lot easier then ordering the parts individually.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM

2004 Mercedes E320
Thank you! I have been looking for something like this thread. I have an 04 E320 and want to do the same as well plus the rear fender.

Not looking to buy a new car yet but I do like the style.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:56 AM

No prob. Did it for the same reasons. I'm selling an extra face lift front bumper I have, its primed and ready to be painted if you are interested. https://mbworld.org/forums/exterior-parts/264441-want-trade-facelift-w211-front-bumper-amg-e55-e63-rear-bumper.html

Originally Posted by dressage_benz
Thank you! I have been looking for something like this thread. I have an 04 E320 and want to do the same as well plus the rear fender.

Not looking to buy a new car yet but I do like the style.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 AM

Yeah, I saw some of the grills without the star, I don't understand why they would sell them like that because you will need it eventually. The latch 155 answered for you. I have not actually converted to the longer latch since I haven't had time yet but that is the exact thing my bodyshop told me to do.
how do i extend the latch? i ordered my new grill from formymercedes.com because the grill i'm talking about isn't the ones on ebay, but almost like the stock grill, except with a star in the middle. It's got the chrome surround and black fins also, just like stock. The closest looking one on ebay doesn't have the mercedes emblem inlaid on the top of the grill, and the fins are silver or something and not black. The grill i got actually cost more than the stock one Geez.. moddin is expensive... anyhow... Yea any help on extending the latch would be great, since i don't know if there is a newer longer style latch i can buy from the dealer.. or if i have to retrofit a longer plastic piece to the stock latch...?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
Originally Posted by erifly
I'm pretty certain at minimum the bumper reinforcements would be different for an amg one. And the clips would not change regardless what type of w211 bumper you were using. But if I was you would just talk to a body shop/mercedes dealer to be %100 sure.
FYI I put e55 bumpers on my 2004 e320, i reused all of the foam, etc. Would have been diff if i went with the e63 front though..
Old 10-14-2008, 11:41 PM

The 03-06 e55 bumper is essentially the same in interior style with the e320/e500(I think only the lower proportion is different). The newer amg bumpers(e63) wouldn't fit on your 04 without the styrofoam etc. Did you put the rear amg bumper on too? I'm still thinking about doing that, but if you did..what type of exhaust tips did you use..or did you just use an e55 exhaust system.
Originally Posted by W Cole
FYI I put e55 bumpers on my 2004 e320, i reused all of the foam, etc. Would have been diff if i went with the e63 front though..
Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
FRONT BUMPER 211

Originally Posted by erifly
The 03-06 e55 bumper is essentially the same in interior style with the e320/e500(I think only the lower proportion is different). The newer amg bumpers(e63) wouldn't fit on your 04 without the styrofoam etc. Did you put the rear amg bumper on too? I'm still thinking about doing that, but if you did..what type of exhaust tips did you use..or did you just use an e55 exhaust system.
I have a 2009 E550 on the right side the upper and lower bumper is separated about three inches. It looks like the clips are broken.

I parked at worked the front of the vehicle was a couple of inches in on the curb. When I back out I heard a scraping sound or a couple of seconds as the bumper cleared the curb. I stopped and checked the bumper and there were no marks or damage.

I parked at a restaurant today and I notice the right lower bumper was loose.
I checked with a local body shop and they said the clips on the lower and upper bumper were broken. There is no damage to the bumper over than the separation on the right side to just below the right headlight. The body shop said the whole bumper had to be replaced because the clips could not be replaced.

Do you think there is any way to replace or modify the clips and holders without replacing the lower bumper?

The bumper seems to be very low because I notice a scraping sound when exiting some drive ways.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:18 AM

2003 e320
While finishing up my facelift conversion, i must have taken my bumper off a thousand times. If you are talking about the section of the bumper on the side under the fender... then that is held together by a METAL not plastic clip. Actually it's a bracket, clipped on both the inside of the fender, and the inside of the bumper, and it is very sturdy once attached properly. There is also a torx screw holding the bracket, bumper, and fender together. It is a very tight fit. If the bumper is "sagging" there, i would think the bracket fell off somehow, or the bumper came loose from the fender.. which would still mean the bracket is missing, loose, or fell off. Either way, you can fix it without a new bumper.. i know i could and i am not a pro body shop worker. I would assume any decent shop could get the correct parts to make it work for you, or retrofit a new bracket for you. Check out this link, maybe it
will help you out. And maybe some pics of the damage would help show what is going on with your bumper. Hope this helps. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...nt-bumper.html
Old 12-13-2008, 02:17 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
FRONT BUMPER 211

While finishing up my facelift conversion, i must have taken my bumper off a thousand times. If you are talking about the section of the bumper on the side under the fender... then that is held together by a METAL not plastic clip. Actually it's a bracket, clipped on both the inside of the fender, and the inside of the bumper, and it is very sturdy once attached properly. There is also a torx screw holding the bracket, bumper, and fender together. It is a very tight fit. If the bumper is "sagging" there, i would think the bracket fell off somehow, or the bumper came loose from the fender.. which would still mean the bracket is missing, loose, or fell off. Either way, you can fix it without a new bumper.. i know i could and i am not a pro body shop worker. I would assume any decent shop could get the correct parts to make it work for you, or retrofit a new bracket for you. Check out this link, maybe it
will help you out. And maybe some pics of the damage would help show what is going on with your bumper. Hope this helps. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...nt-bumper.html
Thank you for your assistance. I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.

The pictures on the site you recommended looks like the area on my MB. It is between the right headlight and the start of the right wheel area. Just the right portion of the bumper is separated starting on the right side of the headlight. The body shop said the lower bumper was damage.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:59 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
REPAIR FRONT BUMPER 211

I took my car to the dealer this morning. They resecured front bumper and center mesh grill.

The description Deformation of right front bumper skin tabs at right fender, securing brackets again and then replacment of bumper.

Reattached and secured bumper as flush as possible. Removed center mesh and reformed best as possible. Replace a couple clips to center mesh grill due to stress cracking when grill removed.

4 fastner $17.28 Labor 340.00.

Thank you for your assistance and providing we with the information on the fastners
Old 08-16-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 E500 2003
hey guys, could anybody tell me the part numbers for w211 07-09 sport package (code 772) front left and right inner reinforcement.

Thanks in advance