E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rusty Bolts on Brake Units

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Rusty Bolts on Brake Units

The bolts on all four of my brake housing units are rusted and there's even some rust on the housing units which makes them look very unslightly. When I asked my MB Dealer in 2006 whether the replacement of these rusted parts could be covered under my warranty and was told "no" and that rust is normal and common on all these MB brake units. I'd appreciate any experience others have regarding rusty brake units and whether they were able to get the warranty replacement coverage for this.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 AM

03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by mcleantmw
The bolts on all four of my brake housing units are rusted and there's even some rust on the housing units which makes them look very unslightly. When I asked my MB Dealer in 2006 whether the replacement of these rusted parts could be covered under my warranty and was told "no" and that rust is normal and common on all these MB brake units. I'd appreciate any experience others have regarding rusty brake units and whether they were able to get the warranty replacement coverage for this.
Are these the bolt pins that the caliper slides on? If so, they do get rusty and the factory service procedures call for those pins to be replaced when performing pad replacement. Mine so so bad, I ended up stripping the Torx head on them and used visegrips to eventually removed them -- couldn't get penetrating oil to work. BTW, those pins are $18/each from the dealer and he had to order them since he said they usually don't stock them?????

Regards,
paul...
Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 PM

The rusty bolts are actually just on the front wheel calipers. Last Friday while getting my vehicle's A Service, my MB Service Advisor indicated that the rusty bolts cannot be replaced separately as they come with a new set of calipers only and that they are not covered by the warranty. So, I'll just wait until my next brake service is due probably in the next few months or so, and I'll buy new calipers with the new bolts then. At least when I complained about having rusty lugnuts, my MB Dealer replaced them under the warranty about a year ago.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300. FJ Cruiser, 370Z
Just get it clean and paint it.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by rdscklasse
Just get it clean and paint it.
I also thought about cleaning the front wheel calipers and painting them with a brake-type paint (for the high heat)........www.performanceproducts.com has a paint kit in their catalog for this purpose with various paint colors you can order. But the bolts are so rusty looking, how would I clean them so that the paint will hold properly?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:02 AM

The rusty bolts are actually just on the front wheel calipers. Last Friday while getting my vehicle's A Service, my MB Service Advisor indicated that the rusty bolts cannot be replaced separately as they come with a new set of calipers only and that they are not covered by the warranty. So, I'll just wait until my next brake service is due probably in the next few months or so, and I'll buy new calipers with the new bolts then. At least when I complained about having rusty lugnuts, my MB Dealer replaced them under the warranty about a year ago.
I just fired off an email on the MBUSA Website asking them to verify: 1. Rusty brake caliper bolts are not covered by the warranty; 2. The bolts parts can not be ordered separately from the entire caliper parts. I checked my MBUSA CPO Warranty and the brake calipers are covered but rusty bolts may not be. I find it hard to believe that MB would use metal parts on these expensive vehicles that rust!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I find it hard to believe that MB would use metal parts on these expensive vehicles that rust!
Does that opinion cover the brake discs too? If you wash the car and leave it standing with wet discs, those are completely covered by rust overnight. This is completely normal.

The other parts are subject to extreme heat if the car is driven hard. It is difficult to protect the surface of different brake parts getting rusty. Stainless steel type of material may not be good by other properties.

Most of the parts are fine even after the surface gets rusty, only if rust prevents pads to move/work, the parts should be cleaned. Usually normal brake service is sufficient (worn out pads and discs replaced).
Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 PM

Rusty Bolts

Some rust on the calipers is understandable but these bolts on the calipers have to go!
Attached Thumbnails Rusty Bolts on Brake Units-pict0001.jpg  

Last edited by mcleantmw; 10-19-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Insert photo
Old 10-20-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Some rust on the calipers is understandable but these bolts on the calipers have to go!
Are you serious? Your car is 6 years old, some rust on the brakes (and any uncoated, unpainted metal surface) is inevitable whether the car has been driven or not. I hope this thread was a put up as a joke.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
What I want to know is, normal or not, are rust on the bolts or calipers, etc. anything we should worry about were our Cars to have them? Or will they be perfectly fine and safe.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by K-A
What I want to know is, normal or not, are rust on the bolts or calipers, etc. anything we should worry about were our Cars to have them? Or will they be perfectly fine and safe.
I don't think there's any safety issue with rust on the brake calipers or the bolts. In my case, if you looked at the photo in my posting earlier, you'll note how totally rusted they are and there could be a problem removing them when my brakes get serviced next time. It's normal to have some rust on the brake calipers......that's not my issue. It's the rusty bolts that bother me since they can be easily seen through my alloy wheels and I don't like the appearance. In fact, some luxury car owners even install after-market painted calipers, or MB has AMG calipers, but I'm not into that approach. I'd just like to get the very rusty bolts replaced next time I'm due for a brake job. Guess some may feel it's fun to attack someone who wants to replace very rusty bolts on brake calipers but vehicle "appearance" issues are important to me after paying $50,000 for a CPO vehicle in 2005........I don't think I'm alone in that regard.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
1995 S280 5-speed
I just picked up an '04 E500 with 5 spoke AMG wheels so the calipers are VERY visable and those bolts look just as bad as yours. They hold the two halfs of the caliper together and since the calipers aren't rebuildable, there are no service parts available. How hard would it be to replace the bolts with stainless steel ones? They shouldn't cost more then $2 each.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 PM

2005 E500 4Matic
alittle sand paper, alittle nail polish color of your choice, and some clear coat and your done. problem solved.

aldo
Old 07-07-2009, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Germans are very environmentally conscious, and the stuff they used to coat bolts with is now banned. Even BMW motorycles--where the bolts are VERY visible--are experiencing similar corrosion on the new models.

Good intentions are not free.

You are having a difficult time describing what you are talking about in writing.

Bolts that mount calipers to the wheel hub are indeed available separately.

Bolts that hold the halves of the caliper together indeed are not. Before anyone gets any ideas, I sure wouldn't try to replace these with something from Home Depot, as it's a given the specifications wouldn't match and these are important safety items. In fact it could be rebuilding of complete caliper could be required anytime the bolts are removed. Don't do it.

Last edited by lkchris; 07-08-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
FWIW

DTB S-B-42.10/109

MB position:
Corrosion protection coatings for brake components may be damaged and or stripped away if highly concentrated acid-based cleaners typically found in wheel cleaners are used ultimately causing hardware to corrode. Components damaged by cleaning solutions are not covered under warranty.

MB recommendation:
MB wheel cleaner for light alloy wheels part #001986347112 (for price comparison parts.com $11.50) environmentally safe to remove brake dust, oil deposits, road grime, spotting and prevent long-term tire discoloration.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Or, that's a possibility, too!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by atikovi
I just picked up an '04 E500 with 5 spoke AMG wheels so the calipers are VERY visable and those bolts look just as bad as yours. They hold the two halfs of the caliper together and since the calipers aren't rebuildable, there are no service parts available. How hard would it be to replace the bolts with stainless steel ones? They shouldn't cost more then $2 each.
In April 2009 I did a complete job of rust removal solution and painting the four brake calipers including the very rusty bolts......took about three applications of the rust remover to get the heavy rust off the bolts. I also posted the DIY process on this forum along with the photo of the finished product. You can't get replacement bolts from Mercedes but removing the rust from the front of the calipers and then spray painting them was a much more thorough and better outcome anyway. I've attached the photo of one of the cleaned and painted calipers below.

Note: I couldn't get the thumbnail to post again here so here's the link to my 4-26-2009 posting "Brake Calper Painting Project": https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...g-project.html

Last edited by mcleantmw; 07-09-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Photo
Old 08-02-2009, 11:02 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
wow

Hey, those came out really nice. I just purchased a CPO c230sport and the bolts on my front caliper look disgusting. Maybe i'll try something like this. I too had wondered if i could just replace the bolts. thanks for the post.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:06 AM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
There are kits to do the job - such as this one:

http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...iper+Paint+Kit
Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
1995 S280 5-speed
I just removed the calipers from the car and bead blasted them clean. These rear ones are all aluminum so I didn't coat them at all.

I did blast and spray paint the steel carrier bracket.

The front ones are aluminum sandwitched around a steel (cast iron?) center so I blasted them along with those bolts and sprayed with a clear coat. Not sure how long it will hold up though.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:22 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Originally Posted by Jen_Kenne
There are kits to do the job - such as this one:

http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...iper+Paint+Kit

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll prob go down this route. Not sure that will hold up but its got to be better than the rusty look i'm currently sporting.