E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Anyone figured out the clock built into the radio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone figured out the clock built into the radio?

I took delivery of my E500 (Silver/Charcoal E2, V60, CD changer, folding seatback) this week.

There's a digital clock built into the radio, completely independent from the clock that's next to the speedometer. Has anyone figured out what good it does. It doesn't display unless you wind your way through the program steps to set the clock. Sometimes you can't even get to it.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Two steps:

1. Push the "Serv" button;
2. Push the soft key for "Clock" - time will be displayed on the screen.

To adjust the time, press the Up or Down arrow near the OK button.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:50 PM

'03 E320
The "Other" Clock

I have an US version of the 211. As best as I can determine, the clock that is part of the intergrated computer is tied to the GPS system. The reason I say this is that it displays GMT, to the second, when I compare to my handheld Garmin GPS.
It is beyond me why this clock is not tied to the dask clock - I undestand your concern, since it took me many time to try and synchronize these two.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
The clock in the instrument panel can be synced with the nav unit clock. Look in the manual - it can be set from the settings in the car to sync the clock with the nav head unit clock.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:31 PM

'03 E320
The clock in the instrument panel can be synced with the nav unit clock

Keep in mind that if one doesn't have a "Nav" unit, it is not possible to sync the clocks. So that applies to most all the 2003 E-Class cars in the US
Just hope that MBUSA doesn't delay the introduction of the Nav.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: The clock in the instrument panel can be synced with the nav unit clock

Originally posted by briar
Keep in mind that if one doesn't have a "Nav" unit, it is not possible to sync the clocks. So that applies to most all the 2003 E-Class cars in the US
Just hope that MBUSA doesn't delay the introduction of the Nav.
the NAV is already delayed, hopefully it will come by march
Old 01-06-2003, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I am a little confused as to what everyone is saying.

If I set the digital clock within the "settings" menu on the multi-function steering wheel, it automatically sets the analog in the dash. The hands run back and forth until it gets to the right time.

Or maybe that is what you are all saying and I am misunderstanding.

Ed
Old 01-06-2003, 06:54 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Re: Navi delivery, I received this email last week......

Currently we estimate Feb/Mar production for the COMAND/Navigation system on
the E-Class.

Regards,

Joseph Burka
Customer Relations
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
Old 01-06-2003, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
I wonder if we all get a notice????

Now if they will just give us a description of what we bought:p
Old 01-06-2003, 09:37 PM

2013 S550
Originally posted by etenn

If I set the digital clock within the "settings" menu on the multi-function steering wheel, it automatically sets the analog in the dash. The hands run back and forth until it gets to the right time.

Or maybe that is what you are all saying and I am misunderstanding.

Ed
You're correct. But check your sync. My digital changes about 3-4 seconds before the analog hand moves.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Probably not too critical Chris...the hand doesn't seem to point anywhere near an actual number anyway. Just seems to be in the general direction of the correct time:p
Old 01-06-2003, 11:24 PM

'03 E320
Clarification Hopefully

Originally posted by etenn

Ed
Let me try to clarify and not confuse. There are essentially 2 clocks.
An analog clock is in the instrument panel, and method of setting this clock is thru the multi-function steering wheel.
The second is contained within the Command Audio System located in the center console. It is accessed by depressing the "SERV" button then "Clock". The user has the ability to set the hour. Note that this clock is referenced to GMT. It appears to be tied to the GPS system. Also, this "clock" function will be dimmed, and non-functional, until it can receive a signal. Then it becomes bright and accessible.
These 2 clocks can be synchronized, only if the vehicle is equipped with a Nav system. Therefore, in the US, these two clocks cannot be synchronized.
Hope this helps to clear up any confusion.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:33 PM

2003 E500
I was setting up my car the other day and there are 2 clocks

1 is the analog, which is in the instrument bin and is set using the steering wheel buttons and the multifunction display - when you commit the changes and exit, the hands run *BACK*wards about an hour and then forward to the newly set time

the 2nd clock is in the radio - select 'options" "clock" and then you'll see a timezone in the bottom of the radio display, and where the fm/am frequency is usually displayed you will see hours and minutes and the up/down/left/right arrows. Use the joystick-like arrow controls at the lower right corner of the radio to set the clock on the radio display.

When done, press the OK or something, and you'll notice that the timezone in the bottom of the radio display now will say whatever zone you are in (NYC would be GMT-5 for example, as opposed to straight GMT which comes from the factory).

to display the clock you need to poke around, to the same 'options -> clock' item, but when that clock is displayed, it appears to ALWAYS be susceptible to being changed by the arrow/OK buttons....

there appears to be no intuitive way to get the radio to default to "clock unless a control is touched - and then display the current settings (frequency, cd track, etc), and after some 5-10 sec go back to 'digital clock' display...."
Old 01-07-2003, 01:11 AM

Useless Appendix

Summarizing what people have said, the clock in the NAV picks up signalling from the GPS system and synchornizes with the analog clock next to the speedometer.

If you are in the US and without any Nav system, you have two separate clocks, completely independent of each other. The clock in the comand is really a useless appendix.