E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Automatic volume on Harmon Kardon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 ML320
Automatic volume on Harmon Kardon?

I don't have the manuals in front of me but definately remember something about the audio system automatically adjusting the volume either according to the ambient noise or the speed.

I don't seem to notice anything? Perhaps the automatic changes are too subtle? It seems like I'm always turning the volume up as I go faster and hence the car, while still quiet, gets noisier and once again turning the volume down when I come off the highway.

What have others experienced? Is something wrong with my system? Is there any way to test this?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:06 AM

2001 ML320
DOESN'T ANYONE HAVE ANY COMMENTS?

HAVE ANY OF YOU NOTICED THIS?
Old 01-11-2003, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S550
Sorry, but I haven't tested that.

I have noticed that when I press the "+" on the steering wheel, the volume is automatically louder. When I press the "-", the volume is automatically lower. :-)

This is meant to be funny. But I've had quite a few drinks (I tried to use coctails (sic) but it asterisked the possible genital reference), so it's easier.

I personally don't think it's possible (from a programming perspective) to give a system enough intelligence to adjust the volume for someone. Let's say you have it adjusted for a closed interior. Even if you could measure the closed DB sound level, it would be too difficult to adjust with windows/sunroof open. The db level of the ambient noise would not relate proportionally to the user's perceived need for volume in that situation.

But Hey! Dey got dem volume controls on da dad-gum steering wheel! Who'da thought!

Really...if a machine or computer can't do it for you, you might as well do it yourself...

Yours in strongly inebriated commiseration,
Old 01-11-2003, 03:02 AM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally posted by ctouhey
Sorry, but I haven't tested that.

I have noticed that when I press the "+" on the steering wheel, the volume is automatically louder. When I press the "-", the volume is automatically lower. :-)

This is meant to be funny. But I've had quite a few drinks (I tried to use coctails (sic) but it asterisked the possible genital reference), so it's easier.

I personally don't think it's possible (from a programming perspective) to give a system enough intelligence to adjust the volume for someone. Let's say you have it adjusted for a closed interior. Even if you could measure the closed DB sound level, it would be too difficult to adjust with windows/sunroof open. The db level of the ambient noise would not relate proportionally to the user's perceived need for volume in that situation.

But Hey! Dey got dem volume controls on da dad-gum steering wheel! Who'da thought!

Really...if a machine or computer can't do it for you, you might as well do it yourself...

Yours in strongly inebriated commiseration,
We got serious PWI infraction here. :p
Old 01-11-2003, 09:42 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
The brochure says the HK "listens to the sound in the cabin and compensates for unwanted noise automatically". Whatever that means. I don't need to adjust volume much, if that provides any information to you. I don't have much unwanted noise, either.

Rush Limbaugh sounds fine on the AM band no matter my speed.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:25 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
My Chev Suburban does what I think is the same thing. It simply increases volume with vehicle speed. More road noise is combined with more radio volume so eventually you have a truly LOUD environment.

Honestly, when I drove the E, it seemed to do the same thing but I really am no audio expert.

As for Rush the best volume level is OFF. George Will - I can handle but Rush..... Well he has good points like his choice in cigars.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:45 AM
mco

ML430, E500
I thought that it was not so much increasing volume as it emits some sort of canceling frequency to "cancel" the outside noise. This is common on many car systems including the Mark Levinson on Lexus.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:05 PM

2001 ML320
Maybe I'm just not noticing the system at work or I'm too picky and it doesn't do ENOUGH of what I want. The systems are not too complicated and I've been in several convertibles that do this well and do this automatically.

As for noise CANCELLING technology, I've never heard about that in the Lexus Mark Levenson system. This is what Bose uses in its noise cancelling headphones and it works well. First class seats on many international flights allow you to turn this function on or off and it is amazing. Helicopter pilots and passengers use the same system in which a sound wave of opposite polarity ad volume to the extraneous noise is sent out along with whatever music or other stuff you are trying to listen to. The extra signal or sound then cancels only what you don't want to hear. Haven't seen that used in any setting other than headphones.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:20 PM
mco

ML430, E500
ML apparantly used volume and equalization as quoted below.

"The quiet ride, a hallmark of the Lexus experience, is enhanced by using DSP to actively tailor sonic parameters. Our Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) seamlessly adjusts the volume and equalization of the system to compensate for the effects of road noise at different speeds. For the Sport Coupe, the ASL also compensates for the different acoustic environments and road noise with top up and top down."

This is probably similar to what the HK does as well.