E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'09 E350 - 7 or 5 speed trany?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL550; '09 GL550; '11 E550
'09 E350 - 7 or 5 speed trany?

I need to make a decision soon on which '09 E350 to move into for the next 36 months and would like some feedback. I've been driving an '07 E350 4M for the last 27 months and although I generally like the car I've grown frustrated with the lagging performance of the older 5-speed trany in the 4M. The 5-speed has some flat spots getting started and downshifting and I really have to hit the gas to get it going, then it moves but can kick back sometimes. Urgh! I was able to drive an '08 with the 7-speed trany recently and it felt like a completly different car. It shifted smoother and felt quicker as I expected it would. My daughter has an '08 C300 4M which comes with the 7-speed and 230 hp and I swear its feels quicker than my E350 4M! The 7-speed trany is just matched so well with these engines I guess.

I live on LI,NY where we don't get much too snow in the winter and when we do get snow the roads get cleared quickly anyway. Ice is ice and no car will do well in that. I'm not that worried about the rain either as I don't drive like an idiot and rely on the extra two wheels of traction.

I would appreciate comments from those that have had or driven both just so I know its not me! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2017 GLC 300 4Matic
Seven speed..........................

My 09 BlueTEC has the seven speed trans and it handles the torque very well. Much smoother shifting than ever before.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I live on L.I. & drive an E550 7 Speed. I wouldn't even consider a 4WD Sedan because the benefits don't outweigh the Cost/weight for our climate & work conditions. (1/2 inch of snow equals a trip to the Supermarket & a day off)

I guess with the 7 speeds & ultra low 1st gear makeing for faster getaways, the 7 Speed tranny is not flawless & silky smooth all the time. But if your current set up leaves you wanting, why not try the 7 speed on this next lease?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
On a similar topic - we looked at a friends 2008 E350 with SDS and viewed the ignition timing. The car was set from MB to use regular unleaded fuel. He had of course always used premium fuel so we adjusted it accordingly. It made a very noticeable difference in city driving and drivability overall. Might be worth checking. I don't know if the majority of MBs are set that way or not, but it did wake his car up.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Sounds like you need to reset the ECU / TCU. This will clear all the adaptations your transmission has made over time and return it to factory defaults.

Aside from that, a 2WD 7G for the 350 is the way to go.

Last edited by Yacht Master; 12-08-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I live on L.I. & drive an E550 7 Speed. I wouldn't even consider a 4WD Sedan because the benefits don't outweigh the Cost/weight for our climate & work conditions. (1/2 inch of snow equals a trip to the Supermarket & a day off)

I guess with the 7 speeds & ultra low 1st gear makeing for faster getaways, the 7 Speed tranny is not flawless & silky smooth all the time. But if your current set up leaves you wanting, why not try the 7 speed on this next lease?
Thanks Barry for the feedback, especially coming from someone on the Island! I agree that we dont get too much bad weather here to make the AWD worth having. Looking back I've always had rear wheel drive cars before the E350 and never had a problem. If its real bad weather, I'm working from home or taking my wife's GL450!

So I just came back from the dealer and drove them back to back. The difference in my opinion is signficant. The '09 E350/4M was brand new and I do prefer the steering as its tighter with the AWD but the throttle lag was still present with the 5-speed. Using the paddles helps but only for downshifting to pass. I then jumped into an '08 loaner with the 5-speed that had 2900 miles and the car was quick. The steering is lighter but still fine. In fact I made a hard left turn coming off a divided highway and the back end broke out a bit while I accelerated. Something the 4M never would or could do. The 350 not a 550 for sure but the 7G tranny definitely helps get more out of the 268 HP in the car.

One problem: my dealer here is having problems locating an '09 7G with P2. Seems the northeast does not get these cars as they go to warm weather climates down south. We get all the 4M's. I might have to settle for P1 but love the Xenon's in the '09 I drove tonight. Could not care less about keyless go. I have Xenon's on my other two cars and find them to be invaluable. Might have to make the sacrifice on this to get into the 7G car.

Thakns again for the comments and please keep them coming. Much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is a huge inventory of 2009 E350 7g models, and plenty with P2 (nice bonus is that P2 equipped cars usually also have leather). Do not let them tell you they cannot get you one with P2, there are MANY in inventory, there are tons in inventory. I would not let a dealer get off because they are stupid and order stripped down cars.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
There is a huge inventory of 2009 E350 7g models, and plenty with P2 (nice bonus is that P2 equipped cars usually also have leather). Do not let them tell you they cannot get you one with P2, there are MANY in inventory, there are tons in inventory. I would not let a dealer get off because they are stupid and order stripped down cars.
I'm not doubting you, but what area in the country are you from? I would think in SoCal there are hundreds sitting on the lots. My dealer has about 20+ AWD models sitting on his lot. It kind of makes sense that in the NE in the winter you find more 4Matics than rear wheel drive. Plus the AWD's are now the same price as the RWD models. They used to cost more. I don't think my dealer is trying to influence me to take a 4M off of his lot. I've bought multiple cars from them and have a good personal relationship with the sales rep and the GM. It might be a matter of locating one down south and then having to transport it up here to NY which is going to add cost. I'm getting a stupid good deal from them on the lease so I don't want to take advantage of a good situation. Lets see what they can find.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by beartrap
I need to make a decision soon on which '09 E350 to move into for the next 36 months and would like some feedback. I've been driving an '07 E350 4M for the last 27 months and although I generally like the car I've grown frustrated with the lagging performance of the older 5-speed trany in the 4M. The 5-speed has some flat spots getting started and downshifting and I really have to hit the gas to get it going, then it moves but can kick back sometimes. Urgh! I was able to drive an '08 with the 7-speed trany recently and it felt like a completly different car. It shifted smoother and felt quicker as I expected it would. My daughter has an '08 C300 4M which comes with the 7-speed and 230 hp and I swear its feels quicker than my E350 4M! The 7-speed trany is just matched so well with these engines I guess.

I live on LI,NY where we don't get much too snow in the winter and when we do get snow the roads get cleared quickly anyway. Ice is ice and no car will do well in that. I'm not that worried about the rain either as I don't drive like an idiot and rely on the extra two wheels of traction.

I would appreciate comments from those that have had or driven both just so I know its not me! Thanks for the feedback.
So far all of my MBs have been 5-speed 4matics. I would not have it any other way since I live in the North East. While I would prefer a 7-speed car I would rather have the 4wd stability. In the summer when I'm cruising down to the beach I wish I have a 7 speeder so that I would get better gas mileage and be able to cruise at 80mpg while the tach is a bit over 2,000rpm. And every summer I swear that my next car will have a 7 speed gearbox. Then winter rolls around and all the rear wheel drive cars are either stuck or slipping around in the snow I just laugh and keep on going with my 5 speed. I was coming back from Canada two weekends ago and I got caught in a blizzard near Syracuse. I didn't even have to turn cruise control off because the car felt like it was on rails. If you can wait for the new E class you can have your cake and eat it too because the next generation 4matic system will have a 7 speed gearbox.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
I'm not doubting you, but what area in the country are you from? I would think in SoCal there are hundreds sitting on the lots. My dealer has about 20+ AWD models sitting on his lot. It kind of makes sense that in the NE in the winter you find more 4Matics than rear wheel drive. Plus the AWD's are now the same price as the RWD models. They used to cost more. I don't think my dealer is trying to influence me to take a 4M off of his lot. I've bought multiple cars from them and have a good personal relationship with the sales rep and the GM. It might be a matter of locating one down south and then having to transport it up here to NY which is going to add cost. I'm getting a stupid good deal from them on the lease so I don't want to take advantage of a good situation. Lets see what they can find.

Thanks for the reply.
Don't settle. It's your hard earned money and you should get what you want. Of course they are going to try to sell you something on the lot because they will make money off of it, but don't settle for a stripped MB.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I absolutely agree. In this economic climate salesmen are being told to:

"Sell what you can see, DON"T see what you can sell!"

In other words that means "sell what's on our lot or what we have coming in... don't look for something we have to locate & flatbed in at extra cost. Dealers are desperate to sell product thats on the lot accruing additional "floor plan" finance charges daily further eroding the small profit available today.

If you have to, locate the car yourself. It costs nothing to email dealers specifying exactly what you want with a dollar amount offer. I bought my 1st car via e-mail from a dealer in PA. It was worth the drive down to pick it up.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just realized you are on LI. Are you going to Rallye? I have family there.

As far as shipping a car, the dealers often do a "Swap" and split the shipping cost, so you can always get what you want without extra cost. That destination charge is there for a reason.

Last edited by Untertürkheim; 12-08-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Never ever get a car that deep down in your gut you know you don't really quite want. You will only have regrets.

The dealer is not a friend for life, it's a business transaction. You're the customer and they need you a lot more than you need them. Don't get caught up in any feeling of obligation and instead get the product you actually want.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
A stupid good deal

on a lease is about the funniest oxymoron I've heard in a long time
You don't "want to take advantage of a good situation." Are you really that naive that you believe you would be taking advantage of a dealer?
Order the car you want.They will locate it and get it to you.While you are at it you may want to rethink your stance about whom is taking advantage of whom.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ohlord
on a lease is about the funniest oxymoron I've heard in a long time
You don't "want to take advantage of a good situation." Are you really that naive that you believe you would be taking advantage of a dealer?
Order the car you want.They will locate it and get it to you.While you are at it you may want to rethink your stance about whom is taking advantage of whom.
OK I can see your point and understand your comments. I actually do have a good relationship with these people and feel that I've gotten very good deals on the cars I've purchased or leased from them over the years. I know that becuase I've shopped around to validate it. The GM actually gave me the cargo storage bin at no charge for my GL a year after I got the car from them. They didn't have to do that. Anway, I'm going to insist on getting what I want with this next one. The deal I'm getting is signfnicantly better than anything I've been able to get from other dealers in the area, plus they are a few minutes from where I live to servicing it there is important to me and my wife. I'm in sales myself and always strive to make a win-win situation. I hate when buyers try to take advanatage of me, and I will never do it to them. Its important both parties feel good about the deal. I'm not overpaying and they are not making too much money. They continue to do the right things by me and they will have a customer for life while I will have a dealer I can trust. At least that's the intent!

Thanks for your comments...
Old 12-09-2008, 12:23 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S

Bear I've just spoke to my dealer. The 2009 E Class 4matic does have the 7 speed tranny along with the updated Command system and blue tooth (without the need to by the dongle like in the 08's).
Old 12-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
Bear I've just spoke to my dealer. The 2009 E Class 4matic does have the 7 speed tranny along with the updated Command system and blue tooth (without the need to by the dongle like in the 08's).
How can that be? He must be thinking the new model we are seeing pics of. (just saw your recent post on the new car pics) All the window stickers I've seen show the 5-speed trany in the W211 4M. The MB websites state this as well. I drove an '09 4M last night and it defintely was a 5-speed. Now all the other 4M cars do have the 7G trany, but the E still uses the older 5-speed. The new car is supposed to have the 7G with direct fuel injection bringing the HP close to 300. That will be anice set-up if I can get past the styling. The new Command is in the '09's and does provide bluetooth without the need for the puck. I paired my BB Curve with to make sure. Your dealer must be referring to the new W212 car due out late next year. Anyway you can double check? I've been researching this forever and probably know more about this car than most dealers do! The interent is wonderful isnt it!

Thanks for your help and your time. Much appreciated.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
MY09 4matic is in fact equipped with a 5-speed transmission.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM

How can that be? He must be thinking the new model we are seeing pics of. (just saw your recent post on the new car pics) All the window stickers I've seen show the 5-speed trany in the W211 4M. The MB websites state this as well. I drove an '09 4M last night and it defintely was a 5-speed. Now all the other 4M cars do have the 7G trany, but the E still uses the older 5-speed. The new car is supposed to have the 7G with direct fuel injection bringing the HP close to 300. That will be anice set-up if I can get past the styling. The new Command is in the '09's and does provide bluetooth without the need for the puck. I paired my BB Curve with to make sure. Your dealer must be referring to the new W212 car due out late next year. Anyway you can double check? I've been researching this forever and probably know more about this car than most dealers do! The interent is wonderful isnt it!

Thanks for your help and your time. Much appreciated.
I'm finding it hard to believe also. The mbusa.com has the car listed as 5-speed also. I think there is only one way to settle this; I'm going to stop by the dealership
Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
It specifically states so in the 09 brochure that all dealers have on hand. Then again, word on the street is some are burning the brochures to save on heating costs given dismal sales.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
It specifically states so in the 09 brochure that all dealers have on hand. Then again, word on the street is some are burning the brochures to save on heating costs given dismal sales.
I almost snarfed my soda all over the monitor as I was reading that. Good one !
Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 PM

OK let us know what you find out. If he has a 7-speed '09 4M tell him to hold the car and I will be right down there to pick it up!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:07 PM

OK let us know what you find out. If he has a 7-speed '09 4M tell him to hold the car and I will be right down there to pick it up!
If it is indeed a 7 speed 4matic and there's only one we'll rock-paper-scissor for it
Old 12-09-2008, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
No 7-speed on 4M. Prolly a one-of-a-kind hobbled together by the service dept at the dealer.

BTrap, you'll like the 7-speed. Very smooth shifting and mpg is improved. I'm impressed at the low rpms at high freeway speeds and great mpg.

The new HDD based Comand, while not perfect, is highly functional. No issues, and voice command works great. I just discovered that I can pause an iPod by turning off audio completely via voice command, rather than hitting mute (there was a thread in the past here about not being able to turn off an iPod because the only choice was mute or change the audio source; there's no real "off" button)

I prefer BMW's iDrive wheel (like the S Class) as the panel on the E's Comand is not angled towards the driver and therefore not easy to reach, but voice command and the steering wheel buttons come close to making up that deficiency.

I kinda only skimmed the manual (I like to learn by doing) and so learned all what voice command can do only when I went through the little exercise of establishing personal voice recognition on the system.

Only complaint I have is the steering is numb. It's no where near as tight and precise as BMW or Porsche. In fact, it sorta sucks. Too much boost. Sometimes I'm not sure where my wheels are pointed. I replaced the OEM Conti AS tires with Michelin PS2 and that's help quite a bit, however (and esp in cornering )

Remember, only get the car you really really really truly want! Good luck.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 PM

Thanks. It turns out my dealer got a delivery last night of the RWD car I want so I went down today and will get it for the weekend. They did not know it was coming to them! I had the option to get a pano roof car but opted against it as I did not like how it looks on a white car, plus why pay another $1k more! Its a personal taste thing.

I'm looking forward to the driving this car vs the 4M I've been in. I know the steering is lighter than with the 4M but the performance is what was lacking the most. This car does have the ContiPro Contact tires on in which I dont like. I notice some had the Pirelli P6 tires. I could ask to have the switched but not sure if one is better than the other. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I hate to have to buy new tires for abrand new car! How much were the Michelin PS2 tires? Anyting suggesitons for the Contis as take offs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '09 E350 - 7 or 5 speed trany?