E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

ACK! Someone hit my car!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine: 2008 E350 4Matic --- His: 2014 E 550 4Matic
ACK! Someone hit my car!!

What happened: my significant other was driving my 2008 E350 4Matic this morning to work in downtown DC. He says another car came into his lane and hit my car. It was completely the other drivers fault and the other driver admitted fault, gave him his insurance info, etc. Apparently the mirrors of both cars "touched". After some more questions, I found out that the impact was so great the passenger's side mirror of my car "folded in". Apparently there is no damage to my mirror or to my car, says my significant other. I have not seen the car yet and the car was inspected by him at 6:30 am when this happened (dark outside) and in a dimly lit parking garage. He just called the other guys insurance and filed a claim after I told him to ASAP. My questions to you guys:

1) I thought the 2008 E350 did not have folding mirrors. Am I wrong about this?

2) Could there have been additional damage done by the impact to the mirror even if there are folding mirrors?

3) Could there have been other damage to the car I cannot see by this type of impact?

4) Should I be upset with my significant other for not telling me about this accident until 5:00 pm (almost 12 hours after it happened) and should I not let him drive my car anymore?

Thanks for any comments/advise you guys have.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:03 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
I can not speak to the folding mirrors questions but the other two I'd like to comment:

There could always be unseen damage. It is best to have an adjuster look at the vehicle as soon as possible.

It is natural to be upset when something like this occurs. It is also understandable that your significant other would be nervous to tell you about it. Keep in mind that an accident is just that: an accident. It wasn't his fault and, in his defense, didn't think there was any damage. He DID tell you, albeit rather late, so it's not like you find out from a lawyer. Now all that being said, I'd tell my significant other to stick to driving their BMW for a while :-) They can scratch that all they want!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 PM

GL350-Bluetec P1
Yes get an adjustor out htere right away. I would be okay with your S.O. My wife backed her car into mine last year. We chalked it up to lack of caffeine at 4am, and it was jus that an accident. Will getting mad really make the situation better -- probably not.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 95 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by BenzBee
What happened: my significant other was driving my 2008 E350 4Matic this morning to work in downtown DC. He says another car came into his lane and hit my car. It was completely the other drivers fault and the other driver admitted fault, gave him his insurance info, etc. Apparently the mirrors of both cars "touched". After some more questions, I found out that the impact was so great the passenger's side mirror of my car "folded in". Apparently there is no damage to my mirror or to my car, says my significant other. I have not seen the car yet and the car was inspected by him at 6:30 am when this happened (dark outside) and in a dimly lit parking garage. He just called the other guys insurance and filed a claim after I told him to ASAP. My questions to you guys:

2) Could there have been additional damage done by the impact to the mirror even if there are folding mirrors?

3) Could there have been other damage to the car I cannot see by this type of impact?

4) Should I be upset with my significant other for not telling me about this accident until 5:00 pm (almost 12 hours after it happened) and should I not let him drive my car anymore?

Yes, the mirrors are spring loaded like the star on the hood. They are designed to give if pressed in.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350

The "Folding Mirror" option discussed here are the electrically operated folding mirrors (a press of a button on the door folds them in). The mirrors on our cars fold and lick inward when pressed inward manually to park in tight spaces or to prevent pedestrian or mirror damage.

Check the glass in the mirror as it can be damaged. Also listen for additional wind noise coming from that door in case the impact slightly bent the door frame.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Since cars had equal speeds, no any significant damage could happen. I hit S class mirror by a shopping cart yesterday, and no any damage was noticeable. On my luck the car owner seen that, she was upset however forgave me since I looked very innocent.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Hey BenzBee,

Definitely, get an adjuster. My partner got hit in our E350 two days after I got the car. And, what appeared like a small scratch on the rear bumper ended up requiring a bumper replacement because the molded plastic bent slightly on the other end and it could not be repaired.

Have YOUR insurance company look at it and subrogate (go after the other insurance company) if necessary. You want someone looking after you to inspect the car.

As for the significant other, don't be upset. Stuff like that happens. He's fine and that is what really matters. Of course, make-up gifts are not out of the question. I would press for something big and expensive. Isn't Best Buy having a sale on 72" flat panels?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Mine: 2008 E350 4Matic --- His: 2014 E 550 4Matic
Thanks for the comments guys.

Here's the update: I heard from the other driver's insurance company yesterday. I told them I couldn't see any visible damage, and they started questioning me as to why a claim was filed. I told them that there could be structural damage as a result of the accident. They are NOT sending an adjuster to look at the car. Rather, the insurance company told me to take the car to a body shop, get an estimate, and contact them when I get the estimate. The plan is to take my car to my dealership (who has an excellent body shop that also fixes Bentleys and Rolls Royces) and ask them to do a complete structural evaluation to see if there is any damage. I did drive the car yesterday on the highway and did not hear any new wind or other noises coming from the passengers side of the car.

Do you guys have any other tips on what I should ask the body shop to look for, other than mirror and door damage?

Also, the significant other and I have made up. No expensive gifts are needed- he feels bad enough as it is. Though if he would like to buy me new earrings, I would not complain.

Last edited by BenzBee; 01-10-2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-10-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Do you guys have any other tips on what I should ask the body shop to look for, other than mirror and door damage?
Mercedes has "certified" body shops. They have a better marketing name for it but that's the just of it. At any rate, all these shops are very good and if you're concerned about something you can't see I'd take it to one of those shops. Your dealer will know who it is. Unfortunately, I have some recent experience.

6 weeks ago, my wife was sitting in a left turn lane in Denver waiting for the signal to change in her Sl550. The signal to go straight changes and the lady in a a minivan behind her, talking on the phone, mistakingly guns it right into the back of my wife. Lot's of stuff going on in the back of an SL with all the top mechanism. Took it to the certified shop and you can't tell it's been touched and I have a very good eye.

The lady on the phone has 3 kids and a husband on his 3rd tour in Iraq. Her life is unravelling. She was a shaking, nervous mess. All we could say was that we hope her husband is safe.