E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Something Weird happened on the Freeway!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e320
Something Weird happened on the Freeway!

I'd like opinions on what exactly might have happened.

So, I was driving on the freeway 65 to 70 mph. I have a 2004 E320 with the C/S mode which I never change. Its always "S". I was trying to pass a car and noticed that i had to step on the gas a little more than usual. I didnt think anything of it. When I exited, stopped and went on the green light I noticed that the car didnt seem to start in first gear. So, i tried to press the C/S button and the letter didnt switch, it stayed on S. I then tried to move the +/- manual gears and it did not cycle through the numbers. When I pulled in the driveway the car would not move in "D" anymore.

It kind of freaked me out so I turned the car off waited like 2 minutes and turned the car back on. In turning the car back on Everything worked like normal, I was able to cycle through the gears, the C/S button changed when pressed, I was able to +\- through the gears and, first gear engaged and everything was fine.

Can anyone explain this. Thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Blue Screen of Death followed by Control+Alt+Delete?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by mmartinez

So, I was driving on the freeway 65 to 70 mph. I have a 2004 E320 with the C/S mode which I never change. Its always "S". I was trying to pass a car and noticed that i had to step on the gas a little more than usual. I didnt think anything of it. When I exited, stopped and went on the green light I noticed that the car didnt seem to start in first gear. So, i tried to press the C/S button and the letter didnt switch, it stayed on S. I then tried to move the +/- manual gears and it did not cycle through the numbers. When I pulled in the driveway the car would not move in "D" anymore.

It kind of freaked me out so I turned the car off waited like 2 minutes and turned the car back on. In turning the car back on Everything worked like normal, I was able to cycle through the gears, the C/S button changed when pressed, I was able to +\- through the gears and, first gear engaged and everything was fine.

Hopefully just a minor fluke. Keep an eye out for it and see if it happens again.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:14 PM

2004 e320
I will keep an eye on it. Woke up turned the car on and didnt have any issues. Hopefully it was a fluke.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:58 PM

"OO" s430
Maybe over heated the tranny n caused a glitch - good luck
Old 01-30-2009, 05:21 PM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Not a big deal.

I could tell you stories about electronic brain farts that my Range Rover has that would bring tears to your eyes.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black

Would your car not change gears when pressing on the gas (rpms just kept going and the car wouldn't shift on it's own)? This same thing happened to me about 8 months ago. 8 months later I had them put a new tranny because the thing just crashed on me, they said it was due to glycol contamination (lucky my CPO covered it). Also had to change torque converter, cooling lines, radiator, etc. Have it checked out, that's my recommendation.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:04 AM

2004 e320
*Update*

so, on my way home today the check engine light came on and it proceeded to lock itself in the same gear again. However, when I turned the car off and then on it did not go through the gears anymore. It would actually jerk when i put it into drive. I had to call a tow truck to have the car towed to the dealership. My SA was thinking it was the transmission vacuum or module. By the way it all seemed to be leaking some sort of fluid. My SA says I have the best warranty so everything should be covered, I'll keep everyone posted when I get the call tomorrow....I am going to have a stiff drink now....lol

By the way thats exactly what it would do...the rpms would rev up and the cr would not go anywhere.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:12 AM

none
i smell trouble
Old 01-31-2009, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
*Update*

so, on my way home today the check engine light came on and it proceeded to lock itself in the same gear again. However, when I turned the car off and then on it did not go through the gears anymore. It would actually jerk when i put it into drive. I had to call a tow truck to have the car towed to the dealership. My SA was thinking it was the transmission vacuum or module. By the way it all seemed to be leaking some sort of fluid. My SA says I have the best warranty so everything should be covered, I'll keep everyone posted when I get the call tomorrow....I am going to have a stiff drink now....lol

By the way thats exactly what it would do...the rpms would rev up and the cr would not go anywhere.

Coolant in tranny? from radiator failure?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds like "lip home mode" maybe.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:32 PM

2004 e320
Ok family, so here the verdict. My SA call me today and let me know that the "Automatic Transmission Valve" was the problem. The car is under warranty and it will be covered. My SA was like the car looks really nice, now that I lowered it. I was laughing because I told him that I thought he was going to blame the transmission on the lowering. He resonded "na I wouldn't do that to you." hahahha. He gave me the new GLK to drive until tuesday. By the way the car is sweet.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:02 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Ok family, so here the verdict. My SA call me today and let me know that the "Automatic Transmission Valve" was the problem. The car is under warranty and it will be covered. My SA was like the car looks really nice, now that I lowered it. I was laughing because I told him that I thought he was going to blame the transmission on the lowering. He resonded "na I wouldn't do that to you." hahahha. He gave me the new GLK to drive until tuesday. By the way the car is sweet.
How do you like driving the GLK compared to the E? More luxurious/refined? Less luxurious/refined?

I'm not too big on the looks based off the pictures, but haven't seen one in person (or just haven't payed attention) or sat in/drove one, but it seems M-B is selling them pretty cheap.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:05 PM

2004 e320
Hey K-A...I love driving the GLK. I dont usually like suv's from any luxury dealer. However, the GLK is so luxurious. It is full loaded. I has so much wood trim, its just like driving in an S class. I might even think picking one up. Great ride..
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Hey K-A...I love driving the GLK. I dont usually like suv's from any luxury dealer. However, the GLK is so luxurious. It is full loaded. I has so much wood trim, its just like driving in an S class. I might even think picking one up. Great ride..
Nice. I want to check one out. I'm not big on SUV's or compact SUVS at all, but since M-B has been losing me more and more with their new designs, I wanted to see if this is one I'd like. It's insane it's going for as much as a C-Class, and seems to be at an incredibly higher level than one.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 PM

2004 e320
Update:

So the SA called me back today again and said that when they removed the transmission pan the "FOUND PIECES OF BROKEN METAL". The SA said that they ordered a new transmission and will be installed tomorrow. We'll see how it drives tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update:

So the SA called me back today again and said that when they removed the transmission pan the "FOUND PIECES OF BROKEN METAL". The SA said that they ordered a new transmission and will be installed tomorrow. We'll see how it drives tomorrow.
OMG!!! I they said they found two cracked washers in my transmission fluid. The dealer tried blaming it on me saying "I had placed them there" but the S/A backed me up and had the thing pushed through. They said the washers aren't related to any part of the transmission.

Update: the car is also beginning to jerk at speeds between 10 - 15 mph when I don't have my foot the gas when the car is decelerating. Oh boy.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:32 PM

2004 e320
Hey Gaazmon, did they also replace the transmission in your E320 too? if so, are you saying that you are still having problems with it?

I definitely know that I will be trading the car in once I reach the 100,000 miles because my MB warranty will be done. If I didnt have the MB extended warranty I would be in trouble.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Gaazmon, did they also replace the transmission in your E320 too? if so, are you saying that you are still having problems with it?

I definitely know that I will be trading the car in once I reach the 100,000 miles because my MB warranty will be done. If I didnt have the MB extended warranty I would be in trouble.
Ya, they replaced the tranny, cooling lines, radiator, and torque converter. However, it still sometimes jerks back and forth at speeds between 15 - 10 mph when decelerating. Usually happens in parking lots and parking structures.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM

2004 e320
Hey Gaazmon, thats crazy because its my first day driving it and I totally feel that jerk around 5 to 10mph especially around parking lots. I am going to give it a week and let the tranny break in. If the it still jerks after that I am taking it back.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

My car still sometimes jerks at those speeds too, I thought it was just a 7G thing. Everytime I took it to the Dealer they'd say it was normal or the car has to learn my driving style. Turns out they were mostly right, I'd say give it a month or so, realistically, see if it still jerks after that. It seems these trannies really have to get your style down before they work smoothly at all.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM

'06 E500 Flint Grey - Charcoal
I get that occasionally as well. Always thought it was more the 4matic but if you're getting it on the 7G them it's probably the tranny adapting ...
Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think it's the tranny, in regards to the jerking at those speeds, but the throttle control (tcu). Most problems are related to the computers. The transmission itself is good quality, I believe, it's the computer systems that suck.