E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

"Premium Only" or is regular okay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by 220S
Wow. that's a new one on me. At all the tracks I've been at (well, okay the three tracks: Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, and Fontana) the big deal is to run high octane (100+ or VP racing fuel, etc..) Why would anyone want to track a TT running low octane? And more than one? As in TT Porsches? Racing on regular? I just don't get that. Clue me in.

And are you saying that these P-cars were running on the track consistently and then you saw the heads off? Over what length of time, etc? Curious minds want to know. Thanks!
It's not uncommon for the track to be out of race gas or not be able to find the guy that can pump it. You head to a close gas station and all they have is regular and that's what you pump. I've done that at Pahrump several times. Unless you're running something that requires race gas like a Radical my experience has been that everything works out ok although the performance drops.

I did pick up a bad load of gas in a 355 Ferrari at Pahrump when I was tracking it. A crisp $5K to fix the cats.

Two motors I've seen apart that had run on regular a lot. The first is a 4.4l out of a 2005 Range Rover. Probably pretty similar level of tune compared to a 350 benz. I know the owner and she never ran premium. An oil pump failure killed it but the heads and tops of pistons were clean. The second was a tt that the guy had sometimes run regular at track events and no damage there either.

I had a white paper on fuel octane I'll try to find. The net is, race gas in a car that isn't tuned for it can generate some heat.

Last edited by Boulder GT3; 02-02-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
A little off topic:

Suppose someone has an E500 with a 93 octane ECU tune. Meaning, don't even think about running anything lower than 93. Let's also say that this person has, available to him, CAM2 racing fuel. Is it safe to run a much higher octane in a car that's not tuned for it? Or is it possible to grenade your motor?

I can't remember what octane this particular flavor of CAM2 is, but it's available at a Sunoco station near me. I wanted to try it but I'm skeert!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
A little off topic:

Suppose someone has an E500 with a 93 octane ECU tune. Meaning, don't even think about running anything lower than 93. Let's also say that this person has, available to him, CAM2 racing fuel. Is it safe to run a much higher octane in a car that's not tuned for it? Or is it possible to grenade your motor?

I can't remember what octane this particular flavor of CAM2 is, but it's available at a Sunoco station near me. I wanted to try it but I'm skeert!
Should be OK if it is unleaded, but I don't think you will really see much performance benefit, it any. It will just smell better out the exhaust!

If you had forced induction and the right tune, a huge difference could be realized.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Octane is burn resistance; so at higher compression and temp that means much less chance of pre-ignition and/or detonation. Higher octane then higher compression rates are allowable.

And if you're tracking a high compression motor, keeping it at max rpms, then it's imperative for cooler burning and no detonation (or pre-ignition) issues.

Depending on your compression ratios, you either benefit or you don't. That's why there are several levels of octane ratings (and there are different ways to rate octane, too: motor octane, research octane.) And higher compression motors will run COOLER on higher octane, NOT hotter. Even if it's your street car. High octane simply means it won't burn as readily when the motor's hot, and the fuel won't tend to burn improperly. And that's its resistance to burning. It won't burn as readily as low octane will. Not until it meets the proper source of ignition (ie sparkplug) along with air mixture.

High octane on a low compression car is not harmful, it's simply a waste.

All sanctioned track events will have adequate fuel available. It's such a rarity that you have to actually leave the track to go get gas. Doesn't help you much during the event that's for sure. Unless it's a small club event that has rented a track and nobody's prepared.

Tracking a car on regular means you're contradicting the purpose of being there in the first place. And your car is running hotter at those high rpms.

We all agree that running low octane on a few occasions will not destroy the car. We all agree that the motor's DME will help prevent fuel burning issues. The question put forth was is it okay to run regular as a fuel in a motor spec'd to run a higher octane. And the answer is why?

As for the Range Rover, well good for it. I'm sure the performance was pretty limited, and she drove it like a mouse. The DME rescued it and therefore you see no damage to the top of the pistons. And if it was as clean as a baby's bottom, then their oil is tight and there's no coking/carbon buildup from burning oil residue, either. And who really knows the history, the mileage, the driving conditions, the driver's habits, etc..
Old 02-02-2009, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
A little off topic:

Benzo, cam2 is 100% octane. No issues whatsoever. Except it's expensive and as PBear says, you won't really notice (unless you are really keeping up the rpms.)

I sometimes will do a mix of premium and 100% in my P-car. It makes me feel good
Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
He is asking a legitimate question and was looking for some reasons supporting Mercedes' claim that premium is needed. No need to recommend Japanese junk to him.

My friend just bought a 2009 C300 and the dealer told him (without him inquiring) that the car will run fine on "regular gas" and that it would not hurt the car. This came from an MB dealership. Perhaps this guy's dealer told him the same thing so he is researching it.
I had been told the same thing by the local Bobby Rahal dealer in Pittsburgh Pa that the 08' and09' models will run fine on regular. The compression is set low enough and the antinock sensors control to a wider range than in the AMG tuned performance motors. Polar Bear is right. The man is asking a legitimate question. At least give a decent and intelligent answer.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
If anyone can get a dealer to put this in writing to them, I would like to see a scan or faxed copy of it.

What some sales guy said to so and so, is all hearsay.

He is asking a legitimate question and was looking for some reasons supporting Mercedes' claim that premium is needed. No need to recommend Japanese junk to him.

My friend just bought a 2009 C300 and the dealer told him (without him inquiring) that the car will run fine on "regular gas" and that it would not hurt the car. This came from an MB dealership. Perhaps this guy's dealer told him the same thing so he is researching it.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Vik888
If anyone can get a dealer to put this in writing to them, I would like to see a scan or faxed copy of it.

What some sales guy said to so and so, is all hearsay.

I have checked two 2008 cars and the ECU is indeed set to 87 octane. Two things to note - 1. This settings would not exist if it were not meant to be used and 2. It is defaulted now to 87 so perhaps the salespeople are accurate about this. But I do know from experience that changing this setting to 93 octane makes the car get better mileage and have better drivability, so I think it's a no brainer to get better performance and economy by running the better grade fuel.

I don't have access to a 2007 or older to check to see what the timing is set to on them. Perhaps the salesperson is right - they have changed the factory default settings for ignition timing on the newer cars. I know that Cadillac started allowing regular fuel so perhaps MB decided to do the same thing.

I don't have an owners manual to review to see if the wording has changed from "required" to "recommended" on the 2008+ cars.

I looked at a Volvo S60 at one time, and the dealer told me the cars run just fine on regular fuel, without me asking. The filler door did say premium fuel recommended, and this was a turbocharged car even. If I had bought it I would have only have ran premium, but I do find interesting the conflict of information.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Are you saying my 08 E550 is set to 87 and I should have the dealer change it to 93 (although 91 is premium in socal) since I only use premium?

Thanks!

I have checked two 2008 cars and the ECU is indeed set to 87 octane. Two things to note - 1. This settings would not exist if it were not meant to be used and 2. It is defaulted now to 87 so perhaps the salespeople are accurate about this. But I do know from experience that changing this setting to 93 octane makes the car get better mileage and have better drivability, so I think it's a no brainer to get better performance and economy by running the better grade fuel.

I don't have access to a 2007 or older to check to see what the timing is set to on them. Perhaps the salesperson is right - they have changed the factory default settings for ignition timing on the newer cars. I know that Cadillac started allowing regular fuel so perhaps MB decided to do the same thing.

I don't have an owners manual to review to see if the wording has changed from "required" to "recommended" on the 2008+ cars.

I looked at a Volvo S60 at one time, and the dealer told me the cars run just fine on regular fuel, without me asking. The filler door did say premium fuel recommended, and this was a turbocharged car even. If I had bought it I would have only have ran premium, but I do find interesting the conflict of information.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Depends on the engine. Most German car makers say run 91 minimum to protect themselves. I run pigswill-grade 87 in my truck as it's only making 380bhp/402lbs. I'd perhaps adopt the same approach with the 500 or 350 engines from MB, unless I was planning on stringing it out long and often. I'd never run less than 91 in an engine that runs beyond 6,500rpm and had a high specific output.

This being said, 91/93 will never hurt matters.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:53 PM

'06 E500 Flint Grey - Charcoal
Yeah, Volvo has/had a few different engines. The one in My S80 is Volvo's own I6 and that they say needs premium but then on the S40 and perhaps even the S60 they sourced (Think it's mitsubishi) and allows for regular.

On the Cadi CTS they recommend premium if you want to get the 304HP otherwise regular is fine ...
Old 02-03-2009, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vik888
Are you saying my 08 E550 is set to 87 and I should have the dealer change it to 93 (although 91 is premium in socal) since I only use premium?

Thanks!
I am not sure if the E550 is set the same as the E350 and C350, but I would have them check. I think 91 octane is a setting as well.

But yes, I would have them check. It is in SDS under Control Units --> Drive -- > Motor Electronics -- > Control Unit Adaptations --> Ignition timing (off the top of my head).
Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E320, Limo Back Tint, XM in the Ash Tray, hardwired Passport Radar and 6000k HID
If we decided to buy a MB, we need to treat it as such, my e320 likes gas only from premium Gas stations, otherwise it starts acting up. So I think it is only fair to say that extra 20 cents per gallon is better that thousands at a MB dealer to repair the damage.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 PM

Polar Bear,

I'd have to somewhat disagree with your earlier post that "premium has better cleaning effects on the engine" ..

I definitely agree that premium should be used to get optimum performance but cleaning additives aren't necessarily the same in premium gas. There are differences in the additives used in premium stations like Shell vs some no name station and the price probably reflects such.

So you may get premium from a no frills station that has less cleaning additives then say regular gas at a Shell station .. IMHO ..
Old 02-11-2009, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dvmak
Polar Bear,

I'd have to somewhat disagree with your earlier post that "premium has better cleaning effects on the engine" ..

I definitely agree that premium should be used to get optimum performance but cleaning additives aren't necessarily the same in premium gas. There are differences in the additives used in premium stations like Shell vs some no name station and the price probably reflects such.

So you may get premium from a no frills station that has less cleaning additives then say regular gas at a Shell station .. IMHO ..
Yes - I agree.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 PM

2005 E320
just came in

Article from Mercedes-Benz Anaheim E World (http://www.imakenews.com/mercedesben...71kky,b9pRh4VT) January 9, 2009
What Grade Do You Give Your Engine?
By the way, this is no “knock-knock” joke!

You pull up to the pump and usually have three choices: Regular, Mid-grade and Premium. Are these grades the equivalent of “good, better and best?” Have you ever been tempted to give your car a “treat” and upgrade? Do you really have to feed your high performance car that outrageously priced Premium grade?

These questions are not “fuelish,” and the answers are based on something called the octane rating of gasoline. The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. This is meaningful when you recall how a four-stroke, gasoline-fueled engine works. One of the strokes is the compression stroke where the engine compresses a cylinder-full of air and gas into a much smaller volume before igniting it with a sparkplug. The amount of compression is called the compression ratio of the engine. A typical engine might have a compression ratio of 8-to-1. High performance engines generally have a higher compression ratio. Higher octane fuel can better tolerate the greater pressures in high compression engines.

When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the sparkplug, it causes a condition known variously as knocking, pinging or pre-ignition. Knocking generally occurs when climbing steep grades, rapidly accelerating or driving at unusually high altitudes.

Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like Regular-grade 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting. So, the compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car.

The gasoline grades have corresponding octane ratings, typically 87 for Regular, 89 for Mid-grade and 91 for Premium with slight variations around the country. Most filling stations sell three grades, but some offer a few more choices between Regular and Premium. Even so, the typical gas station has just two underground storage tanks. Midgrade and other octane ratings are created by blending these two at the pump.

The basic question we want to answer is, “Should you consider spending the extra money for Premium gas?” The answer is a qualified, “No.” The fact is, for most car and truck engines, Regular grade 87 is fine.

That’s good news, but what if your owner’s manual recommends Premium grade fuel? The key word is ‘recommends,’ which really means it’s okay to use Regular under most driving conditions. Virtually every expert – even those from oil companies and auto manufacturers – say that using Regular will not harm engines, but you’ll probably not get the ‘advertised’ performance. In other words, you may add a second to the zero-to-60 mph time a reviewer said you should expect from your car. Again, using Regular gas will not damage the modern engines of most of today’s cars.

Modern engines with advanced computerized engine management systems rapidly adjust their ignition timing at the first indication of knocking. For this reason, using Regular will not void your manufacturer’s warranty unless, in the rare case, your car’s owner’s manual states that Premium grade gasoline is REQUIRED. The owners of high performance engines that require the highest octane are well aware of this fact because high performance was an important factor in choosing their particular cars.

However, if you own a “classic” car or a vehicle that is 10 years old or older and lacks such stuff as electronic fuel injection, computerized engine management and knock sensors and the owner’s manual specifies Premium grade fuel, DON’T USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN PREMIUM! If your vehicle has a supercharger and you drive aggressively, you might also want to use Premium. In this latter scenario, knock sensors cannot sense the condition fast enough because the supercharger boosts pressure too quickly. Of course, if your engine does experience knocking, no matter what vintage or sophistication, feed it the next higher grade of fuel or bring it in for a diagnosis and possibly a tune-up.

Using Premium grade fuel in a vehicle designed to operate on Regular is a complete waste of money. It won’t add to performance since the engine is not designed to make use of the higher octane. Don’t believe that bunk about Premium gas doing a better job of keeping an engine clean. All grades of gasoline contain detergents and additives intended to promote clean combustion.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Did anyone anwser

the op's question?
"Other than that, are there any long-term negative effects?"
if not. Yes there are long term effects.The dealer can pull up the engine knock data and void the warranty if you end up with one of the other long term negative effects.A big hole in the crown of a piston.Use premium.Or are you a gambler for 20cents a gallon savings?
Which I figure comes out to be less than 200 bucks a year at 1 fill per week.
If you need to worry about 200 bucks spread over the next year
Maybe as some have suggested a different Make car is in your future
Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 E450W, 2020 GLC300
Thanks, ohlord. I really don't have to worry about 200 bucks spread over a year, being something of a plutocrat, but I didn't get this way by ignoring details and being reluctant to ask questions. Comments such as yours notwithstanding, so far no one has weighed in with any hard data on engine damage or voided warranties.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Thanks, ohlord. I really don't have to worry about 200 bucks spread over a year, being something of a plutocrat, but I didn't get this way by ignoring details and being reluctant to ask questions. Comments such as yours notwithstanding, so far no one has weighed in with any hard data on engine damage or voided warranties.
Call MB-USA yourself.

I just called them. Here is MB-USA's position: "If it is determined that using a lower octane fuel than what is recommended by MB-USA is promoting or has caused any damage to the vehicle, then MB-USA has the right to deny a warranty claim and or repair."

This doesn't mean that they will automatically deny an engine repair warranty claim, but if the ECU records a change due to octane, or if they feel that you have voided your warranty, then you are taking a gamble. Have fun in court.

So it's up to you, folks. I'm under warranty and I plan to use the recommended octane. If you want to take the chance while under warranty and save a few bucks on fuel, then by all means do whatever floats your boat.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by 220S
Call MB-USA yourself. ...........

then by all means do whatever floats your boat.
I use Prem 93 in my E500 and even though my boat will run 87 I use 100 gallons of 91 in it due to the loads and full throttle operation above 5000 rpm consistantly.

So this is what floats my boat.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM

E320 Sport
For what it's worth, there is an ignition timing setting in the ECU that can be adjusted by the dealer. Every 2008 and 2009 vehicle I have looked at had this set to 87 octane. On one car we changed this to 93 octane and noticed a difference in performance in stop and go traffic (the car felt more responsive) and a noticeable increase in fuel economy.

The owner was of course running 93 octane fuel.

Is there an easy way to learn what my car is set to? Self-diagnostics? Or must I go to a dealer to find out?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 PM

BobbyT,

You can't seriously expect a black and white type answer on this topic. This is a discussion rehashed in just about every car forum around and many so called experts have their own opinions on both sides of the fence.

The bottom line is that there is a knock sensor that will COMPENSATE for running regular. I highlight compensate as this should set off an alarm. Just becasue the engine can comensate doesn't imply that it's not having some adverse effect in the long term .. IMHO.

What are the long term affects? Could be slight damage to the catalytic or other emission systems. Maybe the pistons are worn sooner ... maybe if you only put average miles on each year or trade every few years .. you would never realize the 'damage'. The next guy who buys it will have to deal with that!

it's your car .. do what suits you .. personally I bought a premium car and want to realize the slight performance advantages that it supposedly holds over other cars .. so I run premium and replace with OEM parts ..
Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
whenever we have had C-class loaners (C230 V6's, C280s), I've noticed they ping like CRAZY because people just put 87 in them. Yes, these cars have knock sensors, but they can't stop all the pinging. SO, USE PREMIUM!!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Almost a Member!

E350 Saks Edition
Originally Posted by drpasteur
don't you know that 80% of the salesman people and even sales manager don't know **** about the cars they are selling? i had experiences where salesman just read off what is listed on that paper listing the features and MSRP price
That is very much the truth. When I was shopping for my 2nd Benz, I couldn't begin to tell you how many told me it had Xenon lights only to get to the dealership to find it hadn't. That's when I learned--on my own--Xenon only came in PII or Saks packages.

To the question. The cost to run premium over the other is very minor. Stay with the premium and take care of your engine/performance.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Scott E350 Saks
That is very much the truth. When I was shopping for my 2nd Benz, I couldn't begin to tell you how many told me it had Xenon lights only to get to the dealership to find it hadn't. That's when I learned--on my own--Xenon only came in PII or Saks packages.

To the question. The cost to run premium over the other is very minor. Stay with the premium and take care of your engine/performance.
It often costs less to run premium once you factor in the decreased fuel economy of substandard fuel. Once the voided warranty is factored it, it IS cheaper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Premium Only" or is regular okay?