E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Passener mirror auto tilt when backing up ..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200K
I have the same problem here. The RH mirror would tilt down and not go back to normal position after gear shift change to D. I had to set the RH mirror position when gear box in R at normal position to prevent it from tilt down. Any one has better solution?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E500 Flint Grey - Charcoal
Did you give it some time after driving off? I notice mine takes about 15 seconds before it comes back to 'normal' position. Not sure if it's looking for a certain speed (to make sure your done backing up or parallel parking) or time after engaging drive ...
Old 03-03-2009, 03:24 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I just click the door switch back to the driver side control which puts it back up immediately.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
My "Driver 3" is exactly the same as "Driver 1" except that the right mirror is memorized dipped to the curb. When I'm done I push "Driver 1". Thats my work around solution. Works every time, unlike my '04. LOL

This workaround is a GREAT IDEA! Now why didn't I ever think of it?!? Thanks Barry!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350
i was told this as well as i inquired after being used to the mirror tilting in my bimmers
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
Mine doesn't do the back up thing??!! Why?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
it wouldn't hurt to remove the mirror shroud and see if there are cooties
back there. i've removed dead spiders and insects...wasp nest, leaves.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by ap10046
Mine doesn't do the back up thing??!! Why?
1. It has to be present as a settings feature in your cars DIC.
2. You have to activate it in the DIC
3. You have to memorize a look down position for the curb side mirror.
4. You must leave the right side mirror button pressed in on the driver's door all the time.

This feature was inactivated/deleted in MY 2007> cars.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
Hi,
I don't seem to have it in my display menu..?
Is this something that can be programmed "in"?
I drive a MY 2003
Old 05-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by ap10046
Hi,
I don't seem to have it in my display menu..?
Is this something that can be programmed "in"?
I drive a MY 2003
This should help! See attachment!
Attached Thumbnails Passener mirror auto tilt when backing up ..-mirror-adjustment-parking-aid.jpg  
Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Just letting everyone know that I got the feature enabled in my 2009 E350 today by a Drive Technician at the dealership where I bought my car.

Initially a tech I spoke with said it couldn't be done on 2007+ cars, but after I told the salesman helping me buy my E350 that I wouldn't be taking the car without the feature, he "conveniently" found another technician that said it COULD be enabled on 2009 cars. I just drove my new car into service, the Drive Tech wheeled out a computer on a cart, hooked it up to my car, then after a few minutes it was done!
Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by chokaay
Just letting everyone know that I got the feature enabled in my 2009 E350 today by a Drive Technician at the dealership where I bought my car.

Initially a tech I spoke with said it couldn't be done on 2007+ cars, but after I told the salesman helping me buy my E350 that I wouldn't be taking the car without the feature, he "conveniently" found another technician that said it COULD be enabled on 2009 cars. I just drove my new car into service, the Drive Tech wheeled out a computer on a cart, hooked it up to my car, then after a few minutes it was done!
That is good to know. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Well, as luck would have it. . .

So my car is going in for service this Tuesday and among the regular service items I am bringing up the following issue:

My side mirror is NOT always returning to its pre-set position after it tilts down. It does come up, but only part way. If I hit the M 1 button it usually comes back up, but sometimes I have to push the button a few times and it moves up a little at a time each time I push it until it reaches the correct original position. When I mentioned this to the service writer, he immediately thought that the memory module could be defective. I know this worked for years correctly and now it is acting up about 90% of the time. I plan to have it fixed and report what the solution was.

I use this feature every day that I go to work, so I don't intend to loose it or bypass it. My 1995 Audi S6 has this feature, I always use it and it has always worked correctly.

Would you believe it, I even posted on this thread stating that it was working correctly. I guess I jinxed myself.

Steve
Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by SAguirre
So my car is going in for service this Tuesday and among the regular service items I am bringing up the following issue:

My side mirror is NOT always returning to its pre-set position after it tilts down. It does come up, but only part way. If I hit the M 1 button it usually comes back up, but sometimes I have to push the button a few times and it moves up a little at a time each time I push it until it reaches the correct original position. When I mentioned this to the service writer, he immediately thought that the memory module could be defective. I know this worked for years correctly and now it is acting up about 90% of the time. I plan to have it fixed and report what the solution was.

I use this feature every day that I go to work, so I don't intend to loose it or bypass it. My 1995 Audi S6 has this feature, I always use it and it has always worked correctly.
Would you believe it, I even posted on this thread stating that it was working correctly. I guess I jinxed myself.

Steve
Sorry for bringing this old thread back.

Steve did the problem get solved after replacing the memory module?
I love this feature but I'm have the same issue as everybody here, after putting the car on D or P it dies not goes to the previous setting, is always off a little.

I have this on my BMW X5 and love it, I wish I could get it working correctly on my W211
Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Banned

I found out a (temporary) fix for this issue:
Move the mirror completely down, then move it all the way up. Do this 3 times then go back to the position you would like to have it.

What I believe you do with this method is to actuate the potentiometers which are responsible for the electronic to know the actual position of the mirror.

I talked to a project manager and an engineer who both work for MB about this. Both came to the reasonable conclusion and confirmed what I thought could be the problem, namely that 4 things could be the problem:
- Door Control Unit defective
- Cracked cable within the cable harnesses between the DCU and the mirror housing
- Faulty potentiometer
- Short to ground

I have personally changed out the DCU for testing and changed out the part that has the motors to move the mirror glass and I still have the problem from time to time. I haven't changed the complete cable harness that goes from the DCU through the door to the mirror itself due to lack of time.

One more thing about it. Whenever I have the problem and I read out the error codes from the DCU there are actually no fault codes which means the car doesn't even know that something is wrong.

Maybe some will benefit from what I experienced and what I did to locate the possible cause (or not)
Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 AM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Mackhack
I found out a (temporary) fix for this issue:
Move the mirror completely down, then move it all the way up. Do this 3 times then go back to the position you would like to have it.

What I believe you do with this method is to actuate the potentiometers which are responsible for the electronic to know the actual position of the mirror.

I talked to a project manager and an engineer who both work for MB about this. Both came to the reasonable conclusion and confirmed what I thought could be the problem, namely that 4 things could be the problem:
- Door Control Unit defective
- Cracked cable within the cable harnesses between the DCU and the mirror housing
- Faulty potentiometer
- Short to ground

I have personally changed out the DCU for testing and changed out the part that has the motors to move the mirror glass and I still have the problem from time to time. I haven't changed the complete cable harness that goes from the DCU through the door to the mirror itself due to lack of time.

One more thing about it. Whenever I have the problem and I read out the error codes from the DCU there are actually no fault codes which means the car doesn't even know that something is wrong.

Maybe some will benefit from what I experienced and what I did to locate the possible cause (or not)
Thankyou I just tried this and is not fixed but is improved now it goes back to the normal position 80% of the time instead of 20% like before :-)

Was thinking of getting a spare mirror to take it a part and study it so I can clean the sensors inside.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Not to beat a dead horse, but that is why MBUSA omitted this feature from the '07 cars. They were trying to claw their way back up the JD Powers ratings chain after falling to last place because of the 211's quality problems, so they eliminated anything that people were complaining about.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 PM

2008 E550
I've had this change done on my 2008, no issues to report so far, been over 8months at least.. I back up and use it everyday. If anything sometimes I get the ID-10-T error because I fail to have the right mirror button pressed to make the feature active.. or someone else adjusted the mirrors and didn't set it back.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Not to beat a dead horse, but that is why MBUSA omitted this feature from the '07 cars. They were trying to claw their way back up the JD Powers ratings chain after falling to last place because of the 211's quality problems, so they eliminated anything that people were complaining about.
This, SBC, and what else?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985mb
This, SBC, and what else?
I'm quite happy not to have SBC, but other things include:
- no more REST mode in the climate control for the USA - in fact no more center air diffuser ducts either
- One grocery bag holder in the trunk, instead of two
- My car, an early '07 Bluetec does NOT have tire pressure monitoring
- Also my car does not have a continuous oil level sensor

The following features can be added quickly by anyone with Star DEVELOPER mode (there are other ways to add these features, but dev mode is the easiest):
- Passenger mirror tilt on reverse (along with the menu option to enable or disable it)
- Fuel Tank quantity on the Range screen
- Adjustable semi-permanent speed LIMiter, which is used when Winter tires are fitted. Some markets, have cruise control (tempomat) that has a LIM function that is temporary.
- Date and time display (redundant with the analog click being there)
- Option to limit the opening angle when the automatic trunk opener is used
- Key dependent settings screen where personalized features are tied to the key used
Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by apl175
I'm quite happy not to have SBC, but other things include:
- no more REST mode in the climate control for the USA - in fact no more center air diffuser ducts either
- One grocery bag holder in the trunk, instead of two
- My car, an early '07 Bluetec does NOT have tire pressure monitoring
- Also my car does not have a continuous oil level sensor

The following features can be added quickly by anyone with Star DEVELOPER mode (there are other ways to add these features, but dev mode is the easiest):
- Passenger mirror tilt on reverse (along with the menu option to enable or disable it)
- Fuel Tank quantity on the Range screen
- Adjustable semi-permanent speed LIMiter, which is used when Winter tires are fitted. Some markets, have cruise control (tempomat) that has a LIM function that is temporary.
- Date and time display (redundant with the analog click being there)
- Option to limit the opening angle when the automatic trunk opener is used
- Key dependent settings screen where personalized features are tied to the key used
What does that have to do with the actual topic? Nothing

Btw. your adjustable semi-permantent speed limiter feature is only available if you have that option. Just by enabling it with DAS doesn't give you the actual speed limiter option. I did retrofit the SpeedTronic cruise control on my car and use it often.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Apparently we're talking about two different things:
I believe you're speaking about the Speedtronic "LIM" function where you can select the top speed with the cruise control stalk. My car definitely does not have that feature.
However, you can very well activate the "Winter Tyres" menu in the instrument cluster, which allows you to limit the top speed of the vehicle starting at a minimum of 100 mph in 10 mph increments. With this setting, the cruise control bars around the speedometer only go to the top speed set, and the letters LIM are displayed - and of course you will not be able to exceed this speed on the highway even with the cruise control off. I have verified both during some spirited driving during the summer.

Originally Posted by Mackhack
What does that have to do with the actual topic? Nothing

Btw. your adjustable semi-permantent speed limiter feature is only available if you have that option. Just by enabling it with DAS doesn't give you the actual speed limiter option. I did retrofit the SpeedTronic cruise control on my car and use it often.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by apl175
Apparently we're talking about two different things:
I believe you're speaking about the Speedtronic "LIM" function where you can select the top speed with the cruise control stalk. My car definitely does not have that feature.
However, you can very well activate the "Winter Tyres" menu in the instrument cluster, which allows you to limit the top speed of the vehicle starting at a minimum of 100 mph in 10 mph increments. With this setting, the cruise control bars around the speedometer only go to the top speed set, and the letters LIM are displayed - and of course you will not be able to exceed this speed on the highway even with the cruise control off. I have verified both during some spirited driving during the summer.
Correct, but still has nothing to do with the mirror problem at all
Old 12-25-2011, 01:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E320
Hey is there a way to enable it without going to Dealer ?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by haris12
Hey is there a way to enable it without going to Dealer ?
Hey is there a way to enable WHAT???. I'm sure we can help you if you come up with a clear question, the crystal ball is currently in the shop for a tune up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passener mirror auto tilt when backing up ..