E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Passener mirror auto tilt when backing up ..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E500 Flint Grey - Charcoal
Passener mirror auto tilt when backing up ..

I had noticed that the passenger side mirror wasn't always tilting down when backing up even though it was set to auto tilt in the menu ...

Figured it out today .. it only tilts if the selector button for the passenger side mirror (for selecting which mirror you want to adjust) is active.

Is this they way it's supposed to work???? I would check the manual but have no idea where it's run off to ..
Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by dvmak
I had noticed that the passenger side mirror wasn't always tilting down when backing up even though it was set to auto tilt in the menu ...

Figured it out today .. it only tilts if the selector button for the passenger side mirror (for selecting which mirror you want to adjust) is active.

Is this they way it's supposed to work???? I would check the manual but have no idea where it's run off to ..
Thats whats been posted on here as well.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500, 3000GT and 3000GT VR-4, 335i
Mine will tilt down, but then sometimes it won't go back up. I have to press my memory button to make it come back up. Don't know what's going on there.

I never used the feature anyhow, so I just turned it off. It actually distracts me more when I'm reversing.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by dvmak

Yes - that is the proper operation.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by thegamemodo9
Mine will tilt down, but then sometimes it won't go back up. I have to press my memory button to make it come back up. Don't know what's going on there.

I never used the feature anyhow, so I just turned it off. It actually distracts me more when I'm reversing.
same here... it does NOT go back to its original spot and i also have to use memory button to adjust correctly...

thus, i do not use this feature...
Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MJ50
same here... it does NOT go back to its original spot and i also have to use memory button to adjust correctly...

I think this is why the feature was later removed - it created customer complaints from not working properly. I haven't noticed mine not working properly, but I actually don't use it that much and don't pay attention.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
This (what people are stating) is the correct operation of the mirror. If you find that it does not return up again, it might be that you did not have the car in D long enough after having it in reverse. If you put it in P, it will return. The reason there is a lag and the mirror stays down is that sometimes you need to go back and forth from R to D when you are wedging into a parking spot.

I use the tilt mirror every day on both my Audi and my Benz. The Audi's is straight forward in its operation, but the Benz tilts the mirror back up if you are backing up fast. I guess it notices that you would be better off with the mirror up when you are driving in reverse kind of fast. The problem is that when I slow down and then really need to see the curb, it takes quite a while to get the mirror to tilt down again. So I select the other mirror in the power mirror switch and then I press the button back again and the mirror tilts again.

I heard that you can have this feature reactivated on the later model Es that don't have the feature. I find it very useful and use it.

Steve
Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by SAguirre
This (what people are stating) is the correct operation of the mirror. If you find that it does not return up again, it might be that you did not have the car in D long enough after having it in reverse. If you put it in P, it will return. The reason there is a lag and the mirror stays down is that sometimes you need to go back and forth from R to D when you are wedging into a parking spot..

Steve
Its not the lag people are talking about... its the fact that the mirror doesn't return every time to the same position it was in before it "looked down". Its close, but not exactly where it should be and therefore doesn't let you see what you had originally set the mirror to see. Pressing the Memory button moves the mirror the final few millemeters back into position.

I had the feature & the problem in my '04, and while I like the feature when it worked perfectly, I don't miss the fact it was deleted in my '07. The less aggravation the better.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Its not the lag people are talking about... its the fact that the mirror doesn't return every time to the same position it was in before it "looked down". Its close, but not exactly where it should be and therefore doesn't let you see what you had originally set the mirror to see. Pressing the Memory button moves the mirror the final few millemeters back into position.

I had the feature & the problem in my '04, and while I like the feature when it worked perfectly, I don't miss the fact it was deleted in my '07. The less aggravation the better.
I see, I never noticed my mirror not returning to the exact position I has set it to. It has always been spot on. I too, would be aggravated if it did not return to the previous position. I know that these aggravations are irritating, but I don't really like it when you buy something new and it has fewer options than what your older model had. I don't like going backwards with features, but this is just me. Now if the features don’t work correctly. . . who knows? I think that MB should just make sure they get all the kinks out of things instead of simply removing them. I sure hope the W212 will have the rest button, a heated and cooled armrest, illumination under the side mirrors, the down tilting side mirror, and the option to have cold air out of the center vents when the heat is on. I must be on the only one who uses all of these features!

Steve
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I'm sure MB is developing better ways to implement options & doo dads. Back in '07, they had to make these cars great again to regain their quality image as fast as possible. Whatever couldn't be made to work perfectly, was turned off or left out of US cars... As they perfect them I see that they are being re introduced.

I can tell you that in MY 2004 car, nothing (fancy) worked 100% as it should have, while in my 2007, every thing thats in it works perfectly. That equals a teriffic ownership experience. So they did the right thing.

The next generation E Class will be a great car. I believe MB learned its lesson with this generation (211) and all its quality/reliability issues.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM

05 CLK500; 07 Volvo XC90
Personally this feature is great when I am parallel parking against the curb. Save me from curb rash. I turn it off when I am just backing out of a space.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
My "Driver 3" is exactly the same as "Driver 1" except that the right mirror is memorized dipped to the curb. When I'm done I push "Driver 1". Thats my work around solution. Works every time, unlike my '04. LOL
Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
I think this is why the feature was later removed - it created customer complaints from not working properly. I haven't noticed mine not working properly, but I actually don't use it that much and don't pay attention.
that feature is a nightmare,, mercedes took it off in 07/08
there was a software glitch that not only did not work the miror it interefered with other computer and software funtions,,
dealer mechanics told me about it today,
jesus you would think mercedes could fix that and figure out how to work a mirror if they have the more complicated ECU working fine lol
Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I use mine ALL the time, it's a must. It's another thing that baffles me about the options cutting/interior regressions/cost cutting in the face-lifted models. Mine works 100% so far (knock on wood). I understand M-B would want the '07's to be more problem free, but minimizing the technology/luxury aspects aren't the way to go for a car like this, I mean it's not like it should be difficult for them to offer a problem free mirror-dipper? BMW has had that feature for years.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by K-A
I use mine ALL the time, it's a must. It's another thing that baffles me about the options cutting/interior regressions/cost cutting in the face-lifted models. Mine works 100% so far (knock on wood). I understand M-B would want the '07's to be more problem free, but minimizing the technology/luxury aspects aren't the way to go for a car like this, I mean it's not like it should be difficult for them to offer a problem free mirror-dipper? BMW has had that feature for years.
It was the quickest "fix" and the quickest way back to the "no problems"/top of the JD Powers quality/satisfaction list. MB has a grip on electronics now, the product will be fully contented and fully operational going forward.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I guess I can understand that considering how big a fiasco the 211's were out of the box. I'm just thrilled mine has it though as I personally need it with my *****ty parking skills. I'd do the Memory thing as well if it didn't have it.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:01 PM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
It was the quickest "fix" and the quickest way back to the "no problems"/top of the JD Powers quality/satisfaction list. MB has a grip on electronics now, the product will be fully contented and fully operational going forward.

not what I heard from 2 master merc mechanics and a service manager,,
and sales manager,, merc has dropped the auto tilt side mirrors,, and no plans to make it come back in 2010 or 11,

in fact I quote the sames manager at one of my dealers,,

"they will bring back the autotild side mirrors when they bring back the
electronic bosch wired computer brakes, in other words a cold day in hell"

lol that pretty much sumed it up for me , I think they would know
Old 02-27-2009, 04:21 PM

2004 E320
That it how the mirror is designed to work. Mine works that way and the manual says so aswell. It is perfectly normal
Old 02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Personally I think it was simply a cost cutting measure at the end of the day, which is something M-B is doing a lot of. Not only did they remove more and more as the 211 grew, but I've heard the 212 will sell for less than the 211, which assumes it may cost less to build, I have no factual data on that of course though....
Old 02-27-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by K-A
Personally I think it was simply a cost cutting measure at the end of the day, which is something M-B is doing a lot of. Not only did they remove more and more as the 211 grew, but I've heard the 212 will sell for less than the 211, which assumes it may cost less to build, I have no factual data on that of course though....
I don't know if cost cutting is the reason. If they already had the technology, being a simple computer command, then it wouldn't cost anything to put it back in. Just my two cents though.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:48 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by K-A

well agreed, if you have seen the new E class in person as I have it looks like ****,, cheap as hell interior, looks like leftover chrysler parts for the 300 as in the C class.. plastic galore,,
all the car magazines are saying this too.. its sad...
way to much angular plastic looks so american interior..

the front if the car is beautiful, and the back is ugly as sin, looks like a new civic or hundai.. and the creased square sheetmetal looks and feels think, tinny and cheap..

trust me, the 09 and prior models are way more attractive..

after losing some 16 billion of buying and selling chrysler, mercedes is looking to save money,, so watch out.. on the new models, or replacement parts
Old 03-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Mercedes Wagon C320 '02
but what if...mirror dysfunction

Originally Posted by MJ50

I have the autotilt mirror function turned OFF (triple checked and have to check frequently) but continue to have the problem of the mirror tilting down anyway for backup and not returning after it is in drive for a while.
Very annoying and dangerous if i do not remember to manually adjust once underway. This problem will surface for a few weeks and then amazingly, it goes away for a few weeks, then returns. I check my selection to make sure it is still "off" but find that it still malfunctions. It is bizarre. I have had many electrical problems over the years and find that my dealer is not much better at solving some things than I am. I'd like to arm myself with some info before going in to see them. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E550 (RIP), 2014 CLS 550C4
Unless you can reproduce the symptom while at the dealer, Mom, then it's going to be difficult to convince them that it's not working as it should. They might be able to flash the module that controls the mirrors to see if that resolves the issue.

I have mine disabled, and it has never disobeyed the off setting. I rarely used it so if I need to dip it I do so manually (well, manually using the adjustment switch) then just use the seat memory switch to return it to it's normal position.

Dan
Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Mercedes Mom
I have the autotilt mirror function turned OFF (triple checked and have to check frequently) but continue to have the problem of the mirror tilting down anyway for backup and not returning after it is in drive for a while.
Very annoying and dangerous if i do not remember to manually adjust once underway. . . Any help appreciated.
A quick & dirty fix would be to leave the left (driver's) mirror button pushed in after mirror adjustment instead of the Right one. The tilt down feature doesn't work unless the passenger side's butten is left pressed in all the time after adjusting the mirror.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by storm
well agreed, if you have seen the new E class in person as I have it looks like ****,, cheap as hell interior, looks like leftover chrysler parts for the 300 as in the C class.. plastic galore,,
all the car magazines are saying this too.. its sad...
way to much angular plastic looks so american interior..

the front if the car is beautiful, and the back is ugly as sin, looks like a new civic or hundai.. and the creased square sheetmetal looks and feels think, tinny and cheap..

trust me, the 09 and prior models are way more attractive..

after losing some 16 billion of buying and selling chrysler, mercedes is looking to save money,, so watch out.. on the new models, or replacement parts
Interesting, nice to see an opinion from someone who's seen it. I had a big feeling the interior could come out feeling cheap, as it clearly has the C-Class material plastic which is some of M-B's worst ever IMO, and some of the pictures show areas that I was thinking may have come out feeling bit cheap.

I agree about the majorly overly-angular interior, and that exterior crease is just so unnecessary and not attractive as well IMO. Didn't Cadillac start that? Everyone's doing it and M-B seems to be on a copy-cat tip.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passener mirror auto tilt when backing up ..