E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

BMW purchase...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009 | 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Dema
Hmm, I would replace my daughter’s E430 by 09 M3 without hesitation if could find a reliable dealer in SFBA willing to sell it at invoice price. MB is very good car, however reliability is questionable. BMW looks like solid rock car. I owned two for last four years and didn’t have any single problem. I heard that BMW becomes junk after expiration warranty, but who will keep a car for so long time?
Yes, I think BMWs are good in the short term like up to 60k miles or so, with MBs having more initial problems. However, in the long run, I believe the MBs are more reliable than the BMWs.
Old 03-15-2009 | 08:25 AM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Can anyone recommend a reputable BMW dealer (preferably sales manager) that will offer no haggle invoice pricing to purchase an in stock 2009 M3 or 335i coupe/sedan inclusive of paying the last three lease payments – I am replacing my daughter’s 06 330.
Have you looked into doing a combined European Delivery and Performance Center Delivery (S Carolina). With this option you get the discounted ED pricing and with PCD you won't be limiting yourself to your local dealership.

Just an idea.

Also for E9X reliability woes, most of the reliability problem stories seem to cluster around the HPFP issue on N54 engined cars. Like Konigstiger, my N52 engined 325i have been solid and reliable.

In this age and time, I'm not sold that MB cars remain more reliable than BMWs (across the board). They all have their weaknesses.
Old 03-15-2009 | 02:12 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by KL2DC
In this age and time, I'm not sold that MB cars remain more reliable than BMWs (across the board). They all have their weaknesses.
Two people in my family have BMWs (both are 2007 models) and it has been nothing but trouble for them. I am currently on my 4th MB and the worst thing that has happened to me was I got a flat tire. I was a little apprehensive when I got my first MB but because everyone was telling me that they are nothing but a headache but thankfully they were wrong. I was looking at getting a BMW but I always shied away because the dealers are not so good in my area and I'm always a little apprehensive about their reliability. That being said I'm looking forward to seeing the new 5 series because that is still a contender as my next car in my mind.
Old 03-16-2009 | 08:48 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: BMW Reliability

Probably a bit off topic, but I've been driving and older 5 Series for my business for the past year, a 2001 525i which is right at 90K right now. I have put almost 25K on it in all kinds of weather and roads, it has been among the most reliable cars I have driven. Not fast, but gets excellent fuel economy, corners and rides very well and everything still works perfectly. I will likely replace it with another BMW a couple of years newer soon.

For what it's worth, some BMWs are in fact very good cars, and young people really like them.
Old 03-16-2009 | 10:55 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by NCE500
Probably a bit off topic, but I've been driving and older 5 Series for my business for the past year, a 2001 525i which is right at 90K right now. I have put almost 25K on it in all kinds of weather and roads, it has been among the most reliable cars I have driven. Not fast, but gets excellent fuel economy, corners and rides very well and everything still works perfectly. I will likely replace it with another BMW a couple of years newer soon.

For what it's worth, some BMWs are in fact very good cars, and young people really like them.
Its kinda refreshing to see more and more people talk about their BMWs reliability in a positive light. I'd definitely like to check out the new 5 series whenever it comes out.
Old 03-17-2009 | 12:27 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Can anyone recommend a reputable BMW dealer (preferably sales manager) that will offer no haggle invoice pricing to purchase an in stock 2009 M3 or 335i coupe/sedan inclusive of paying the last three lease payments – I am replacing my daughter’s 06 330.
Have you looked into buying it off lease?
Old 03-17-2009 | 12:37 PM

'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
One can go into any car forum, and read horror stories about the owner's cars. If one browsed the 211 section, they may never buy one just from reading the stories here.

My cousin had an X5, and now has a 535Xi. No probs. Great car.
Old 03-19-2009 | 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by alejotrujillo
The stupid run-flats are the #1 reason that I got rid of my 1 year old 335xi Coupe AND to move into the Mercedes family.

I will NEVER look at a BMW seriously again until they get rid of those ridiculous tires.
I'll second that ! I got rid of my 335i Coupe because of the atrocious run-flats, choppy ride, severe tramlining and the incredibly poor fuel economy driving around town.

On the highway, my Bluetec actually feels faster than the 335i when passing. There is nothing quite like 400 lbs.ft. of torque to press your behind into the driver's seat.

Unfortunately, it looks like the 2010 W212 E350 Bluetec will have not only the adBlue tank to replace the spare tire, but it will also have the dreaded RFTs just like the 2009 ML320 Bluetec and many BMWs.
Old 03-20-2009 | 05:25 PM

W204 C63
Originally Posted by DerekACS
I'll second that ! I got rid of my 335i Coupe because of the atrocious run-flats, choppy ride, severe tramlining and the incredibly poor fuel economy driving around town.

On the highway, my Bluetec actually feels faster than the 335i when passing. There is nothing quite like 400 lbs.ft. of torque to press your behind into the driver's seat.

Unfortunately, it looks like the 2010 W212 E350 Bluetec will have not only the adBlue tank to replace the spare tire, but it will also have the dreaded RFTs just like the 2009 ML320 Bluetec and many BMWs.
Not to mention that when you install non-RFT winter tires and one gets cut after hitting a pothole, you will spend over 5 hours just waiting for a tow truck and then spend $$$ buying - an almost imposible to find - tire in the middle of nowhere since the "wheel & tire insurance" never answered the damn phone or returned any messages...

So very long story short, I ended up losing a full day and spending over $300 just because I got JUST A FLAT TIRE!!! Additionally I would've still had to buy the other 3 tires since the car came with staggered setup and I needed to keep all 4 tires the same (size and wear of course).

I also had an oil leak (car had 3K miles), radio/bluetooth unit always gave me problems and the right rear suspension BROKE misteriously after 24 hours of hitting the pothole with the left front tire.

Not to mention the ridiculous mess that BMW created with the ECU software upgrade that castrated such an awesome engine, and most likely the fuel pump was going to fail as it does in the vast majority of any BMW that has the N54 engine.
Old 03-21-2009 | 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
High pressure fuel pump is a real problem. You should claim to replace it before taking delivery. Conclusion: never buy BMW
Old 03-21-2009 | 12:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Conclusion never ask for a BMW dealer referral on a MB forum

I am on board with the quality the interior simply does not cut it for me. Mechanically the car will not he held for more than three years therefore any repairs will be under warranty, and to date no problems with the 06 330 just oil changes and run flat replacements (you already know my opinion on these).

I have no doubts that she will have another satisfying experience with the 335i coupe that I was able to talk her down to by the way. Short bidding process with several dealers, we sit down with the dealer where we leased the 330 on the 28th wholesale a given Munich delivery match not at all out of the question for a new factory order.