Rear air bags and Booster seat.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE 450 Coupe
Rear air bags and Booster seat.

Hi all,
Its time fro my kid to switch to the Booster seat. Unfortunately, there is no way to install it in the middle (boosters do not have anchors), but these air bags are pretty dangerous for kids.
Is there a way to disable them somehow?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
The middle seat is also a lap belt no different than the outer belts.

When the kid is not in the booster put it in the trunk so it doesn't become a missile in event of a serious accident and take you out.

The biggest danger from door/window bags is if the kids lean or fall asleep against the door. Big enough for booster means big enough to listen not to.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:34 PM

2016 GLE 450 Coupe
Originally Posted by TMAllison
The middle seat is also a lap belt no different than the outer belts.
Thanks, TMAllison,
Good point on airbags! But I still want to disable it.

The belt is the same, unless i misunderstand the "lap belt" term.. The difference between mid and side belts is that, first, the mid part of the seat is higher then sides and booster is not stable there at all. I was watching my son today leaning from side to side with booster together at pretty slow turns that I had to make on the way to daycare.
Secondly, the booster is wider then opening for that mid belt, and it is pain in a neck to lock it.

Last edited by rostov; 03-18-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by rostov
Thanks, TMAllison,
Good point on airbags! But I still want to disable it.

The belt is the same, unless i misunderstand the "lap belt" term.. The difference between mid and side belts is that, first, the mid part of the seat is higher then sides and booster is not stable there at all. I was watching my son today leaning from side to side with booster together at pretty slow turns that I had to make on the way to daycare.
Secondly, the booster is wider then opening for that mid belt, and it is pain in a neck to lock it.
You need to make an investment in a more expensive booster seat with Side Impact Protection for head and sides; this would offer optimal protection in the event the airbags do go off (sides of kids not exposed in in the boosters which actually have backs).
DO NOT PURCHASE THOSE CHEAP seat-only, no-back boosters; you'd be asking for trouble. Look at Britax, or Clek brand seats, NOT GRACO, or any of the others you can find at Target. After all, you bought a Mercedes, so make sure you buy the equivalently safe seat. (Besides, if you're like a lot of people, you'll have two in Boosters at some point, rendering a middle position out the question even if it could be anchored.

Just my $.02.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:50 PM

09' E320
My child rode on the passenger side in a car seat and in the booster. Been 4-5 years ago (she's 11) and I forgot about the different boosters available.

Carperson has it right. You don't want a bench; you want a seat with an attached back. Allows the shoulder belt to be attached to the seat and adjusted so it hits the child at the right height rather than across the neck and when they vacate it you can buckle it again so it won't do damage to you too.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 AM

2016 GLE 450 Coupe
Originally Posted by carpersn
You need to make an investment in a more expensive booster seat with Side Impact Protection for head and sides; this would offer optimal protection in the event the airbags do go off (sides of kids not exposed in in the boosters which actually have backs).
DO NOT PURCHASE THOSE CHEAP seat-only, no-back boosters; you'd be asking for trouble. Look at Britax, or Clek brand seats, NOT GRACO, or any of the others you can find at Target. After all, you bought a Mercedes, so make sure you buy the equivalently safe seat. (Besides, if you're like a lot of people, you'll have two in Boosters at some point, rendering a middle position out the question even if it could be anchored.

Just my $.02.
Trust me, I am not trying to save money here – what booster could be more expensive then the one from Mercedes? And sure, it has the full back and sides. But this is not my point. I am coming from idea that the center of the rear seat is the safest spot for the child, which is where I had the infant and, whatever it’s called, next size up chilled seat. It was great there since those had anchors. Since it won’t work with the booster, I am trying to figure out what is the safest spot/combination for the booster, and those bags bother me, that is all. But I guess, you guys got the point – if booster has protection on sides, it should be fine.
Thanks!

P.S. I still want to know if I can disable it.

Last edited by rostov; 03-19-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 PM

09' E320
A dealer using SDS may be able to disable to rear bags. The question then becomes WILL they due to liability issues. I doubt it.

I'm not up on W211 bag configurations but on my w210, the window curtain airbag covers both front and rear seats so disabling it is going to effect front seat passengers as well. Mine doesn't have rear door bags like the front does.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 AM

2016 GLE 450 Coupe
Well, I guess, as much as I don’t want to, I will have to visit a dealer.

Liability – I think it would be an issue if I requested to enable it. Don’t quote me on it, but as far as I know (heard it from a dealer), for BMW, even if you have ordered a car with rear bags, it would come with those disabled, and would be enabled up on the written request.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM

09' E320
Originally Posted by rostov
Well, I guess, as much as I don’t want to, I will have to visit a dealer.

Liability – I think it would be an issue if I requested to enable it. Don’t quote me on it, but as far as I know (heard it from a dealer), for BMW, even if you have ordered a car with rear bags, it would come with those disabled, and would be enabled up on the written request.
I rolled a 99 528i 3 times side to side followed by 3 more times nose to tail. Very steep mountian! The battery and computer in the trunk probably died before the nose to tail rolls started when the roof crushed to the rear bumper. All door (x4) and both head bags (tube shaped) went off. Only the fronts didn't pop. It had NOT had the rear doors "enabled".....
Old 03-20-2009, 06:20 PM

2016 GLE 450 Coupe
Originally Posted by TMAllison
I rolled a 99 528i 3 times side to side followed by 3 more times nose to tail. Very steep mountian! The battery and computer in the trunk probably died before the nose to tail rolls started when the roof crushed to the rear bumper. All door (x4) and both head bags (tube shaped) went off. Only the fronts didn't pop. It had NOT had the rear doors "enabled".....
As I said, that is what i heard from the dealer...
But yes, Bimmer is a very save car. I realized that after my mother totaled my 740.