E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How do you check battery condition?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
How do you check battery condition?

The MB service sheet for a Service A states that you must test the battery condition using a Midtronics MCR 717 tester.

Couldn't I just test the voltage across the terminals using a digital voltmeter?

Does the Midtronics tester tell you anything other than voltage?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Where's Konigstiger when you need him?

Last edited by Long Islander; 03-31-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
A volt meter will only test the voltage and not the amps. Only a equipment designed to put the battery at load will do this. However people have been load testing betteries for years. When I had a problem last year Autozone tested my battery with a load tester at no charge and found it was at full capacity. If you really want to test the bettery Autozone has a tester and I am sure there are many others who also have the ability to test. This test was done with the ENGINE OFF. This is not an alternator test just battery. I have a tester I built 20 years ago to test alternators that actually checks each phase from the diodes and compares total output. Testers are available that will test alternators also. But just check the battery and you should be ok. If there is an alternator issue you will get a warning.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 AM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by vettdvr
A volt meter will only test the voltage and not the amps. Only a equipment designed to put the battery at load will do this. However people have been load testing betteries for years. When I had a problem last year Autozone tested my battery with a load tester at no charge and found it was at full capacity. If you really want to test the bettery Autozone has a tester and I am sure there are many others who also have the ability to test. This test was done with the ENGINE OFF. This is not an alternator test just battery. I have a tester I built 20 years ago to test alternators that actually checks each phase from the diodes and compares total output. Testers are available that will test alternators also. But just check the battery and you should be ok. If there is an alternator issue you will get a warning.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Oggie, your car is still under warranty....let them do it and if there's a problem they'll replace it.