Radio control on multifunction wheel...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 11:27 PM
ICY
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio control on multifunction wheel...

When I'm listening to the radio and want to change the radio station with the steering wheel buttons, the radio only responds by scanning for the next station up or down, depedning on which button I push.

I find this rather annoying. Surely it would be more logical for the steering wheel buttons to scroll through the presets rather than scanning? I can't find anywhere in the manual about how to change the steering wheel so that it scrolls through the presets (1-10).

Can anyone help me out here? TIA
Old 01-31-2003, 11:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
ICY, that was the norm with the W210 - Mercedes-Benz seem to have changed that to scrolling stations instead of pre-sets .. I agree its annoying .. I did take my car to be re-programmed to get rid of the limitation of not being able to do jack **** when above the speed limit (the computer wouldn't allow you to do anything and produce an awful warning with sound) and asked if they could reprogram the radio station, they said they don't have that ability yet for the W211 and they do not know whether it'll be there any time soon. I dont know what MB was thinking!
Old 02-01-2003, 01:49 AM
ICY
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the reply muhri2 Let's hope MB figures something out soon.

Just curious as to what you mean by reprogramming the car not being able to do anything above the speed limit- sound warnings?

You mean at the vehicle's top speed or when you exceed the limit set by the Speedtronic?
Old 02-01-2003, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dont know the exact sequence of steps but go into your MFD settings and you will be able to change the "next station" preferences from Scan to Preset.

Otherwise you may consult that encyclopedia they call a manual.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:43 AM
ICY
Almost a Member!

I must be going blind....I can't find it anywhere in the owner's manual, nor in the Audio 50 instrucntions book.

Perhaps if anyone knew a page number? Thanks! In the meantiime, I'll keep looking.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:40 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
You won't find it in the manual--it won't seek presets from the steering wheel.

The W203 C Class would, and I expect that's what Silver_Lana is using as a reference.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:51 AM

'14 SL550
My dealer tells me that he is hoping that when the NAV system is installed, they might be able to re-program the Pre-Set station button. As of now there is no way to fix this which is very annoying on such a great car.

Has anyone contacted MBUSA about this?
Old 02-01-2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by ICY
Thanks for the reply muhri2 Let's hope MB figures something out soon.

Just curious as to what you mean by reprogramming the car not being able to do anything above the speed limit- sound warnings?

You mean at the vehicle's top speed or when you exceed the limit set by the Speedtronic?
ICY, my car came with a limitation in which when you exceed 120 KM/H a warning sound starts emitting and a display on your screen says Maximum Speed Limit Exceeded - Then you can't flip pages with the multi-function steering wheel - the only thing you can do is raise and lower the volume. I had my car reprogrammed so it doesn't display this screen or play this awful sound .. So now if I exceed 120 KM/H the car just does what its supposed to do
Old 02-01-2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by jim256
You won't find it in the manual--it won't seek presets from the steering wheel.

The W203 C Class would, and I expect that's what Silver_Lana is using as a reference.
That's right - C Class is different ... I sure hope they do come up with something though. Soon!! and I hope it does not depend on DVD nav (i.e software dependandt of it) because I won't be getting NAV nor do I need it here nor will it work!!!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 11:56 PM
ICY
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by muhri2
ICY, my car came with a limitation in which when you exceed 120 KM/H a warning sound starts emitting and a display on your screen says Maximum Speed Limit Exceeded - Then you can't flip pages with the multi-function steering wheel - the only thing you can do is raise and lower the volume. I had my car reprogrammed so it doesn't display this screen or play this awful sound .. So now if I exceed 120 KM/H the car just does what its supposed to do
Wow, I sure hope mine doesn't do that either. That's weird. Is it country dependent? Has anyone else had this reprogrammed?? Sounds like permanent speedtronic for the Winter tyres thing in the owner's manual.

I haven't taken mine over 100 km/h yet (still only got 212 km's on the clock). I'm taking it on a trip over Easter though, so that alarm had better not sound!

(no need for Winter tyres in Australia thank goodness!)
Old 02-02-2003, 03:13 AM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
Not being able to cycle through presets from the steering wheel is going to be a big disappointment if MB doesn't add a fix. I have the ability in my '01 CLK to choose between full scan or presets when using the steering wheel buttons. This is a step backwards, on a better and more expensive car, not to mention that it is common sense....why in the world would anyone want to have the convenience of a steering wheel button, then have to scan through every active frequency on the FM band? Ridiculous. Let me know if you find anything in your manual...this will annoy me to no end if my '04 E500 4Matic is delivered without this capability.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by ICY
Wow, I sure hope mine doesn't do that either. That's weird. Is it country dependent? Has anyone else had this reprogrammed?? Sounds like permanent speedtronic for the Winter tyres thing in the owner's manual.

I haven't taken mine over 100 km/h yet (still only got 212 km's on the clock). I'm taking it on a trip over Easter though, so that alarm had better not sound!

(no need for Winter tyres in Australia thank goodness!)
Don't worry, its a country dependent thing which I threw away
Old 02-02-2003, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by dtm
Not being able to cycle through presets from the steering wheel is going to be a big disappointment if MB doesn't add a fix. I have the ability in my '01 CLK to choose between full scan or presets when using the steering wheel buttons. This is a step backwards, on a better and more expensive car, not to mention that it is common sense....why in the world would anyone want to have the convenience of a steering wheel button, then have to scan through every active frequency on the FM band? Ridiculous. Let me know if you find anything in your manual...this will annoy me to no end if my '04 E500 4Matic is delivered without this capability.
I totally agree with you and hope MB comes up with a software update to rectify this issue.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:35 PM

2003 E320
Presets

I Drove a March 03 bulit E320 and it did NOT have the ability to scan the PRESETS from the sterlng wheel, only the Freq,s.

It also has the same speaker glitch in the Logig 7 mode that I reported in another thred