E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

vibration on the brake pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vibration on the brake pedal

Hi,

Ever since I took delivery of my E320, I have noticed that sometimes when pressing the brake pedal to slow down the vehicle, I can hear some sound coming under the hood and causes some slight vibration on the brake pedal. I think it's the same type of noise I hear when I turn off the engine after parking the car. Is this normal? It sounds like the noise when air pump depressurize. The car still drives OK, but because of this, it doesn't drive as smooth when it's on the local streets.

I appreciate if you have any insight on this.

Derek
Old 02-02-2003, 10:44 PM
ICY
Almost a Member!

My E320 Avantgarde makes the same noises, but vibration is negligble. My dealer pointed these sounds and vibrations out when I took delivery and said it was the Sensotronic charging up and distributing/equalling the pressure between the brakes.

Hence, I've taken them to be normal Sensotronic noises. They also occur when the key is first inserted into the slot and when the car is unlocked....

Only very rarely do I hear those same noises when I'm driving though.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:59 PM

2003 E320
Same here. I can hear this sound, and barely perceptable vibration, when I apply breaks moving slowly. Never hear it when apply breaks on considerable speed (>20 mph).
Old 02-05-2003, 08:07 PM

03 E500
Don't let the dealer convince you this is a "normal" noise if you think it's abnormally loud or unusual. I've been enjoying this problem for 3 months. They admit that the "groan" (system charging noise) is coming from the brake system, and it's likely to be coming from a crossed or two parallel almost touching brake lines somewhere in the front end. MBUSA is a ware of this in early build models and has prescribed a specific brake line insulating material as the fix. I'm still waiting.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I commented on this sound several times to the dealer when I test drove an E320. But, fortunately, I haven't heard the sound on my car.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:00 PM

rickyfanmdr,

Really, you don't hear that noise and feel the vibration on the brake pedal on your E320? Since the motor mounts problem people complained about is supposed to happen on E500 only, I almost want to conclude that it is normal for the sensotronic braking system to work for E320.

For those who has 2003 E320, can you let me know if you have the similar problem and tell me when you purchased the car? I would like to know if this only happens on the early batch of the E320 03' production.

Anyway, if other's E320 don't have this problem and I do, I am going to get my dealer to figure this one out.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:31 PM
ICY
Almost a Member!

Unhappy

It's really not normal? I don't have vibration in the pedal, but to be precise, I DO get that whirring noise coming from somewhere inside the engine compartment. Happens with unlocking the car and also at times when idling. My car was a November 02 build, January 2003 vehicle.

Maybe I should get this checked out....
Old 02-06-2003, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
After a lot of brake usage, such as stop and go driving, the fluid near the brake calipers tends to get hot. When it gets hot, it has to expand. This excess brake fluid gets sent back to the main fluid reservoir, and it may cause a slight pulsation of the brake pedal. This is the only time you should feel something in the brake pedal. ABS activation will not cause a pulsating pedal as it does in most other cars.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:17 AM

2003 E320
I've only had my car a few days, but, no I haven't noticed this on my car. But I was just reading the E-Class Operator's Manual, and this may (or may not) be pertinent:

Page 79
If the SBC brake system is activated when the brake pedal is first depressed, you may feel a reduced pedal resistance and longer pedal travel than normal. When releasing the pedal, you may also feel the brake pedal pulsate and you may hear a sound which is caused by the activation of the SBC pump. This is normal and not an indication of a malfunction. Pedal travel returns to normal when you release the brake pedal and the sound soon ceases.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:50 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
E320, produced in September, Oct 2 delivery: The quote above from rickyfanmdr is my experience, but I have not felt any pedal pulsation. The pump activates sometimes when opening the door prior to startup, occasionally at other times, nothing I'm concerned about.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:22 PM

2003 E500
I was wondering what happened with the noise and vibration problem. I have the same problem with my 2003 E500.