E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A Cool Comand Alternative!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Cool Comand Alternative!

Like many others on this forum, I have been caught up in the COMAND problems. I'm taking delivery of my car in one month, it can't be prewired for COMAND, and I refuse to wait another six months for my car.

Here's a great alternative. Check out this link:

http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/

This company called GARMIN is coming out with a PALM compatible GPS with a decent-sized color screen and voice guidance commands that you can attach to your dashboard for only $589. Not available for a few months, but if it works as billed, it's almost 2G cheaper than MB's offering.

It was written up as one of the coolest gadgets at the recent Las Vegas electronics expo. Seems like the way to go (assuming you don't need the DVD).

Last edited by cappy; 02-09-2003 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Command Alternative

Agreed. I am in the process of buying an E500. my dealer (Ray Catena in NJ) stated that they may not even get the DVD command to work and would not sell it to me! I have been looking and agree that the Garmin is the way to go. I have a Palm V and need an up grade. For what it is worth.....I am told that the tele aid will give you directions if you get lost.......my boss has used onstar and loves it. I am a gaget guy and have a 540iA with nav and know I will miss it.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:52 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Giving this serious thought- Our E500 is due soon. I felt MB was over priced on this and I also did not want to be locked into a device that was going to be "outdated" quickly with new advancements. This unit will be portable, and will be easier and cheaper to update. When this one is outdated, I can throw it in my camera bag for recording shot locations. IMHO
Old 02-09-2003, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
If you're in Europe, and own IPAQ, then this one looks good.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:35 PM

2003 E-500
It looks good; however, some of the dash mounted units get spotty GPS coverage without an external antenna. Do you know if this can be easily tied into the existing GPS antenna system in our 2003 E-class vehicles?
Old 02-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Almost a Member!

'03-E320 and "02 Porsche C4S
I don't know- a 4" diagonal display is kinda small at a distance. And trying to use a stylus to pin point something while driving, etc. would seem be the cause of mucho accidentos.

I am not knocking the unit, it may be very good, and a great interim device while waiting for MB to get it together.

If you want to go with something other than the MB unit , why not go with Alpine (or one of those) with decent size screen, DVD based data, etc.?

If you will bolt (velcro, etc.) a Garmin to the dash, you can bolt an Alpine screen also.

Doug
'03-E320
Old 02-19-2003, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Here is an IPaq on a club member's Mini

Take a look.

IPaq on Kangster's Mini
Old 02-19-2003, 02:04 AM

'03 E320
Angry My Current Nav

I have been using this style of Nav for the past 6-8 years, and am ready to move on.
I am tired of warnings that objects may be dislodged and can cause damage. Hell, I am more worried about the cables strangling me, between cell phone, headset cable, cord to Garmin, and cord to V1.
And before you flame me on the cell phone - I'll accept risk before I shell out over $1500 on MBZ solution. BTW, I did have the V1 hardwired, so that should not be an issue.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:54 AM
Almost a Member!

'01 E55 '99 ML430 '96 C4 Cab
I have an Alpine multimedia system w/navigation in my '99 ML430(pre comand) and a Handspring Visor w/GPS module and mapping software (Nexian.com) that I use in my 2 cars w/o navigation. There is no comparison. The GPS reception in my portable unit is spotty at best, even with an external antenna. With an installed unit (aftermarket or OEM) there is a gyro and vehicle speed sensor that allow the unit to continue navigating when the GPS signal is spotty. With my Alpine system, the only times that I don't have good GPS reception is in tunnels. I turned down an E55 with an April build date until Comand is available. I looked into adding a system to the E55 (alpine, panasonic, kenwood) and decided not to. For good reception an external antenna would have to be installed in the roof. There does not seem to be a good place to add a monitor that will be visable and not interfere with the front passenger airbag.
Rich
'01 E55AMG
'99 ML430
'96 C4 Cab
'03/4 E55 AMG pending
Old 02-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Almost a Member!

'03-E320 and "02 Porsche C4S
Rich;

I had my Alpine in my '00 F150 for 2 years and it worked perfectly. The antenna was just below the dash. It is now in my Bronco (and will be removed today) and the antenna is on top of the dash just at the windshield - it works perfect.

I think the antenna could go on dash top / center of the E (it is about 1 inch square and about 1/2 inch tall, black plastic) and not be too noticable.

I sure will agree about the monitor location challenge! I think it could be mounted low blocking the ashtray, but thats not easy to look at. Perhaps a heads up display on the windshield? Or perhaps a motorized screen that drops down from the roof with a projector in the rear seat?

So, although in about 4 hours my Alpine will be in a box, I will wait a few months for Ma-Benz to get it together.

Doug
'03-E320:p
Old 02-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Almost a Member!

'01 E55 '99 ML430 '96 C4 Cab
One place in the new E that I was exploring is to remove that little drawer for glasses and use that space for a bracket and a detachable monitor.