E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What is the best price for LoJack (on an E350)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Question What is the best price for LoJack (on an E350)?

Ok, so I've read through the threads in this forum about LoJack, and I understand it is NOT a popular item here. However, I still do want to install it on my car (for when I have to drive and park in less-than-ideal neighborhoods, and possibly for the insurance discount since my insurance company does NOT recognize Teleaid as a discountable item).

What is the BEST price for LoJack that 2009 E350/E550 owners got from their Mercedes-Benz Dealers? So far I've been quoted $1,295 for the "early warning" system from my dealer, but he'll knock it down to $895 IF I purchase his EXTREMELY overpriced MB Extended Warranty at $5,995 (which is even above MSRP!).
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
I don't think it's a necessary item.. It's highly doubtful that someone in a bad neighborhood will jack your Mercedes. They lack the refinement, finesse, and technology to do so. Be proud of the fact that it's very hard to steal a Mercedes without the key. Unless you're forced to hand over the car, you should only be careful of upscale neighborhoods where professional thieves might be preying on six-figure cars, which even then, they'll steal a Bentley rather than an E350..
Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 AM

05' E320
Did you know the 2005-2008 E-classes are the least stolen cars in America for the year of 2008. It is extremely hard to steal these cars. The worst they could do is part it out in front of your face, but they'll never be able to get its wheels going.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 PM

E350
Originally Posted by malcolm233391
Did you know the 2005-2008 E-classes are the least stolen cars in America for the year of 2008. It is extremely hard to steal these cars. The worst they could do is part it out in front of your face, but they'll never be able to get its wheels going.

While that may be so (I don't know, I didn't look it up), that doesn't mean that NO E-Classes are stolen in the U.S. In my opinion, if thieves can steal ANY current Mercedes-Benz (like the 2008 ones mentioned in this recent article), then it is still possible for them to steal MY car (assuming the anti-theft technology between 2008 and 2009 didn't change that much). I would like to make it as hard as possible for thieves to "get away" IF they steal my vehicle... for peace of mind sake at least... and to explore the possibility of insurance discounts.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:03 PM

E63
IMO, once a theif takes my car, I don't want it back, I hope I never see it again. The last thing you want is someone to joy ride the living hell out of your car and then get it back and deal with whatever damage has been done down the road and try to prove it was done by them and not yourself....
Old 05-18-2009, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by kylek13
IMO, once a theif takes my car, I don't want it back, I hope I never see it again. The last thing you want is someone to joy ride the living hell out of your car and then get it back and deal with whatever damage has been done down the road and try to prove it was done by them and not yourself....
Ya, same here. If they take it, they take it, I don't want it back.

You don't need lojack. Lol, my dad used to sell to lojack before they started manufacturing their own product, we used to private label it for them.

My friend just bought lojack for her Audi A5. Paid a $1000 for it. IMO, she is stupid. The car is leased and she even got ripped off on that: she pays a $1000 per month . Lol, the salesman even took her and her friend out to dinner afterward. And she thought oh he was such a nice guy and they told her it was one of the only ones in so cal available. I'll never let my wife or girlfriend go car shopping alone
Old 05-18-2009, 05:51 PM

E350
Originally Posted by gaazmon
My friend just bought lojack for her Audi A5. Paid a $1000 for it. IMO, she is stupid. The car is leased and she even got ripped off on that: she pays a $1000 per month . Lol, the salesman even took her and her friend out to dinner afterward. And she thought oh he was such a nice guy and they told her it was one of the only ones in so cal available. I'll never let my wife or girlfriend go car shopping alone

Oh geez.... well, the dinner alone should tell your friend how much she overpaid! What a "nice" salesman... making so much off your friend, then taking her for a date afterwards!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
From the '07 sales brochure:

TELE AID SECURITY & CARE SERVICE
You’re already driving a very safe car. Now the Tele Aid Security & Care service enhances your sense of security by providing emergency notification services, connection to Roadside Assistance, Remote Door Unlock, Stolen Vehicle Recovery, i-Operator’s Manual, Anti-Theft Client Alarm Notification and more. Keep your annual subscription
up-to-date and enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing you and your family have an added measure of security and care. With an active Tele Aid subscription, you may be eligible for a discount from your insurance provider.
I had TELE AID SECURITY & CARE SERVICE for the first year of ownership, and received a nice break on insurance.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chokaay
Oh geez.... well, the dinner alone should tell your friend how much she overpaid! What a "nice" salesman... making so much off your friend, then taking her for a date afterwards!
Lol, ya. I felt so bad for her. When she told me the price, I just went silent, I didn't want to open my mouth. It's a nice car, but man for that price, you could probably lease a CLS. I remember at one point reading in the paper an ad that you could lease a 750i base for like 900 something a month for 27 months. My friends parents pay 1300 a month for a 750iL for 27 months. $47,000 msrp vs. $80,000+ msrp

Back to the teleaid, I don't even use that (I have old analog system, no longer works). If anything, the best system is a immobilization system. The car already has a starter kill through the passive immobilizer through the key. And honestly, most car alarms only sense impact, door openings, and offer a starter kill (if installer hooked up). Most post 2005 cars, especially high end, offer door and boot/hood triggers, passive starter disable via encrypted key. Only reason a shock or interior sensor isn't offered (especially in US) is because of false alarms and the complaints they would get from customers to turn them down or off. My friend's 07 530i came with a interior motion sensor (and MB has one, just not in US). If anything get an additional immobilization system: one that will cut-off the starter, ignition, or fuel pump (Our company manufactures one that does all three and the sensor is a small mobil speedpass looking, RFID tag that when near the ring that installed around the ignition column, will enable the starter, ignition, and fuel pump. It also has all black wiring so after installed, the installer removes the tags so the perp won't know which wire is power, ground, ignition, etc.). But honestly, it's a pain in the a** to put security stuff on these cars so I wouldn't even bother.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
If you feel that you must have this protection--go for Tele-aid. I got a great insurance credit too.

An unpublished fact, once the police make contact and Tele-aid is in recovery, they have the ability to listen in on cabin conversation.

Last edited by TPAbnz; 05-19-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TPAbnz
If you feel that you must have this protection--go for Tele-aid. I got a great insurance credit too.

An unpublished fact, once the police make contact and Tele-aid is in recovery, they have the ability to listen in on cabin conversation.
Nice.

Ya, lojack has pretty much used the same old technology for quite a while.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
Interesting, Bro. For that matter, they/someone should be able to talk to the occupants too.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SPNJHockey
Interesting, Bro. For that matter, they/someone should be able to talk to the occupants too.
Lol, "Hello car jackers. I am Mr. So and so. I am the official car jacking negotiator for Mercedes Benz Tele-Aid customers. Now we just want to get her back safe and sound. Let's have a little chat now shall we."
Old 05-20-2009, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Perhaps OP lives overseas. Stealing a car in Europe is very easy. There is a business there. Nobody even tries to start car using keys. A car is just towed in secure place where get taken apart. First what stealers too, just search for LoJack.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 PM

E350
Just in case anyone else is interested, the cheapest dealership quote I got was $895 for the Advanced Early Warning LoJack, and $695 for the Basic LoJack (but apparently not all dealerships offer Basic LoJack, so YMMV). Only 1 dealership quoted me prices, whereas other dealerships gave me the "why don't you buy a car from us first, and then we'll talk LoJack" bit. These prices were attained due to lots of negotiations (and threats to buy it elsewhere).

IMO, these prices aren't that great... but they are comparable as to what other sources are charging. Lexus dealerships install the Advanced Early Warning LoJack for $900, and buying directly from LoJack costs $995... but only after haggling over the price for a few minutes. As for Basic LoJack, I remember it costing around $700 when I had it done in my last Mercedes in 2001, so the cost basically remained unchanged... I think...
Old 05-23-2009, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chokaay
Just in case anyone else is interested, the cheapest dealership quote I got was $895 for the Advanced Early Warning LoJack, and $695 for the Basic LoJack (but apparently not all dealerships offer Basic LoJack, so YMMV). Only 1 dealership quoted me prices, whereas other dealerships gave me the "why don't you buy a car from us first, and then we'll talk LoJack" bit. These prices were attained due to lots of negotiations (and threats to buy it elsewhere).

IMO, these prices aren't that great... but they are comparable as to what other sources are charging. Lexus dealerships install the Advanced Early Warning LoJack for $900, and buying directly from LoJack costs $995... but only after haggling over the price for a few minutes. As for Basic LoJack, I remember it costing around $700 when I had it done in my last Mercedes in 2001, so the cost basically remained unchanged... I think...
F**ckin lojack. Just cause they have a name people buy it. What a rip-off. I remember my father and I laughing when we saw a lojack product for laptops at the mac store when getting a laptop for my sister. The sales lady quoted us (I forget how much) we just laughed and she looked at us like wtf. This is coming from someone who has been in the auto security manufacturing business for 25 years.