Parking Brake - Cable Adjustment ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320 CDI
Parking Brake - Cable Adjustment ??

Hi,

Just had the weekend from hell. Did rear pads/ rotors in my W211 E320 Estate, like several others on here struggled big time to get the rotors off, eventually Heat, and a litte brute force and ignorance did the job, but managed to bust the rataining springs on both sides, there wasn't a huge amount of meat on the rear shoes, so I thought a I may aswell replace them as the kit comes with new springs. (god I wish I hadn't bothered !!!)

However on re-fit one side of the brakes wont go back together, as the cable wont come out far enough for the brake actuator to sit flush.

It looks like my pushing about of the cables, has actuated some kind of adjuster on the cable ??

Q: Is the hand brake cable adjustable ?
Q: If so where, I have traced the cables back to where they meet under the center arm rest, I read somewhere that previous models had a hatch under the rear seats to allow you to adjust the cable - I have looked there nothing doing, and a I pulled out the center console, which didn't revel anything new.

In order to get to work tomorrow, I have had to put the car back together minus one pair of shoes (never use the P break anyway). But I would relay like piece of mind that this is sorted, before next MOT is due in August.

One thing being ripped of by a dealer for a job, even worse to hand them half a job and red faced !!!

Please someone help me !!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Mercedes E320 CDI
Hi all, please does anyone know how to best get at the adjustment point ???

DO I really need to start striping off cross members ????

Thanks

BSH999
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
This may help (adjuster #200)
Attached Thumbnails Parking Brake - Cable Adjustment ??-scan.jpg  
Old 06-02-2009, 03:59 AM

Mercedes E320 CDI
Thanks, it does a least suggest that the only place the adjuster can be is within the component labeled (200), which is where I have been trying to get too , however the cut out in the top would still suggest from the diagarm that the adjuster should some how be accessible from above ??
Old 09-23-2020, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
How does one gain access to this adjuster? There's no obvious panel under my rear seat.
The following users liked this post:
jonthondrkness (01-08-2023)
Old 09-24-2020, 12:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachments.
The following 4 users liked this post by konigstiger:
bobgodd (01-17-2024), EddyC (10-07-2020), jonthondrkness (01-08-2023), Overheated (08-06-2023)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:17 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Thank you so much!!! This is very clear now.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2020, 09:34 AM

2004 E55 AMG
I got the gizmo released last night, but not without some difficulty.
First, there must not be any tension on the brake cable to release it. In my case, I had gotten the rotors back on with tension in the cable. If that happens, you can remove the rotor, but what I did was to go to the pedal and remove the cable from there.
Once the tension is relieved, rotate the adjuster CCW while pushing the same screw in its slot to the aft. Rotate it until the biggest tooth stops rotation against the housing. You are rotating against a spring, so it's only 2-3 ft-lbs of torque. Reconnect cables, and button up.

Those strange "nut plates" I saw are actually strange nuts. So, removing the heat shields is no problem at all.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211
relieve load on automatic slack adjuster

Originally Posted by michalk
Thank you so much!!! This is very clear now.
seems like some lucky person hits the jackpot while innocently doing the rear parking brake shoes and touches the cable the wrong way and bam.. no more cable in the disc.. sigh

what shields did you have to take off? wasnt the propeller shaft still in the way?
why didnt they leave it like it was on the w204.. sigh...
Old 01-08-2023, 11:46 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jonthondrkness
seems like some lucky person hits the jackpot while innocently doing the rear parking brake shoes and touches the cable the wrong way and bam.. no more cable in the disc.. sigh

what shields did you have to take off? wasnt the propeller shaft still in the way?
why didnt they leave it like it was on the w204.. sigh...
I removed the heat shields. They look difficult, but are pretty simple.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211
Originally Posted by michalk
I removed the heat shields. They look difficult, but are pretty simple.
first of all thanks for the quick reply after all these years.. lol

secondly of course you removed the heat shields... i was hoping to know which ones.. as there are several.. but i didnt think you were still around so i removed the rear one.. no dice.. then noticed there was the middle one but closer to the front that was split in two pieces.. looked like a seperate compartment.. and it was.. but i still took off the rear ones unnessecarily. .. there was literally no directions on the internet or the mb wis showing where on the damn car this unicorn adjuster was located... of course mercedes hid it away..

thanks much man hope you are still enjoying your mercedes..