E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Hitch for W211 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Hitch for W211 sedan

Like to add a hitch to my 2006 E320 CDI sedan to carry a bike rack. Very few options. One is a Curt 11701 hitch that is sold everywhere for $177. Anyone tried this and care to offer an assessment. This is just for a bike rack.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:58 PM

2006 E320 CDI
OK, I answered my own uestion. Curt sells two hiches for the 2006 E320 (PN 11701 and PN 11820). The former is for non-sprt, non-CDI sedans and the latter is for wagons. The sedan hitch would fit the CDI, except that MB put exhaust tips on the mufflers that point inwards and partially extend below the bumper support rods/cylinders. The 11701 hitch attaches to those support rods/cylinders, so there is a clearance problem. The wagon hitch is completely different and it attaches to the bumper mounts on the frame and to the underside of the bumper. The sedan hitc would probably fit if the exgaist tips were cut off. Looks to be a stainless exhaust, so that should not pose any problem. In CDI, tips are unseen, anway.

Sigh.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E350
Just put the Curt on my 06 350 and fit and finish are excellent, very pleased.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 AM

2006 E320 CDI
More information please...

Originally Posted by starcarnut
Just put the Curt on my 06 350 and fit and finish are excellent, very pleased.
On your car, are there two mufflers located outboard and ahead of the bumper supports? Do you have exhaust tips coming out of the mufflers and partially extending under the bumper supports? Did you have to drop the exhaust system?

After looking at my setup long and hard last night, I think that the 11701 system may well fit because the hitch would mount well above the side-canted exhaust tips. So even with out cutting...

Gonna' give it a try.

Thanks for answer.

- Geo
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Almost a Member!

06 E350
I'm not with the car right now but I do have two outboard mufflers with tips that exit from the muffler and angle inboard at about a 40 degree angle. Don't have to cut or drop the anything. The tricky part is putting the hitch up between the bumper supports and exhaust tips. At first it appears impossible but with a little perseverance it will fit right in. There are two holes to drill but they can be done from inside the trunk. Instructions say something like 30 minutes to install and I'm thinking "Yeah, right". Going slowly I think maybe it took 45-50 minutes by myself.

I have not tackled the wiring hook-up for the lights yet, is there a plug and play kit from MB or do we just use an over the counter adapter?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:09 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Sounds a lot like what I have on my E320 CDI

I'm not with the car right now but I do have two outboard mufflers with tips that exit from the muffler and angle inboard at about a 40 degree angle. Don't have to cut or drop the anything. The tricky part is putting the hitch up between the bumper supports and exhaust tips. At first it appears impossible but with a little perseverance it will fit right in. There are two holes to drill but they can be done from inside the trunk. Instructions say something like 30 minutes to install and I'm thinking "Yeah, right". Going slowly I think maybe it took 45-50 minutes by myself.

I have not tackled the wiring hook-up for the lights yet, is there a plug and play kit from MB or do we just use an over the counter adapter?
I ordered the hitch from Amazon this morning and will see what there is to see.

I just want to put a bike rack on, so have not looked into wiring. Most likely a light kit is available in EU, but not in US from MB. I think a universal kit is way to go.

Thanks for your help!

- GRL
Old 06-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Almost a Member!

06 E350
Originally Posted by nopcbs

Thanks for your help!

- GRL
You're welcome, good luck.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Yeah, the Curt 11701 hitch does fit the 2006 E320 CDI

The hitch came a few days ago ($177, delivered, from Amazon). And I fitted it yesterday. It fits well in the 2006 E320 CDI and, as you say, there is no need to drop the exhaust system. With a little playing around, you can wiggle it in above the exhaust and then there is ample clearance between the hitch and the exhaust.

They have you drill two holed in the trunk to bolt on two locating tabs that are welded to the hitch and that is tricky because of clearance issues. That reall would be easier if you drop the rear mufflers, so you can get a drill in.

The hitch seems sturdy enough and the welds look solid. It does not appear to be powder-coated, but just black painted (a bit disappointing as powder coating is a tougher finish).

Curt does not give you stainless mounting hardware. It all looks like just un-coated steel that is sure to rust. I went to a local fasteners dealer and bought all stainless bolts and nuts (10 nuts and two bolts) for $4. I almost bought the four U-bolts in stainless for another $24, but they were just a little shorter than the ones that came with the hitch, so I cheaped-out on that and decided to just paint the U-bolts with Rustoleum before installing. The U-bolts are pretty high up, so maybe corrosion will not be an issue.

I must say I am impressed with how nicely everything is arranged and designed under the car. I am still suspicious of the reliability of Mercs (this is my first one and I cam coming out of Lexi), but everything I have seen speaks of logical design for ease of maintenance.

- GRL
Old 06-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Almost a Member!

06 E350
Glad to hear it fit for you. I drilled the holes from the trunk side and it was very straightforward. To find out where to drill I first used a punch and drove through from the outside, then used that small hole as my guide from inside the trunk. I doubt you will find any trailer hitch manufacturer providing stainless hardware with their hitches, at least in my experience, and if the finish is not powder coated, it's a least a very good enamel, far better than I've had from Uhaul, Valley and others.

From a purely statistical standpoint, it is likely that the Merc will not be as reliable as the Lexus, they are pretty hard to beat. However, speaking just for myself, the ownership of a car is far more than owning a reliable device, it is a personal, tactile relationship and in that sense a Lexus fails for me. We all have different expectations from our vehicles. I expect my car to be reliable certainly, which my last Lexus was, it was just not any fun to drive, the 350 is, so I am willing, within reason to put up with some foibles.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:51 AM

2006 E320 CDI
I know what you mean...

Glad to hear it fit for you. I drilled the holes from the trunk side and it was very straightforward. To find out where to drill I first used a punch and drove through from the outside, then used that small hole as my guide from inside the trunk. I doubt you will find any trailer hitch manufacturer providing stainless hardware with their hitches, at least in my experience, and if the finish is not powder coated, it's a least a very good enamel, far better than I've had from Uhaul, Valley and others.

From a purely statistical standpoint, it is likely that the Merc will not be as reliable as the Lexus, they are pretty hard to beat. However, speaking just for myself, the ownership of a car is far more than owning a reliable device, it is a personal, tactile relationship and in that sense a Lexus fails for me. We all have different expectations from our vehicles. I expect my car to be reliable certainly, which my last Lexus was, it was just not any fun to drive, the 350 is, so I am willing, within reason to put up with some foibles.

We currently have two Lexi, a '92 LS400 that we have had since 1994 and a 2004 RX330. While not bullet proof, they are darned close. Especially that old LS. I think that gen 1 LS400 is likley the best sedan anyone has ever built in terms of sheer reliability. They are certainly not entertaining cars to drive, though. I had a 2003 BMW 330i zhp before the 2006 E320 CDI I just bought and it was fun to drive, all right, but knowing that it was just a question of time before something silly broke (like the power windows or the sun roof or the rear shock supports or on and on) made me baby the thing...I rarely used the power windows, for example and never used the sun roof. That gets old pretty fast.

Considering how cheap satinless fasteners are, I think that Curt is foolish not supplying them...heck, I would be happy to pay another $20 to know I will not have to deal with rust in a year or two. It would really make a favorable impression with the customer, too.

How did you find enough room to swing a hammer to use that punch? I thought about that and saw no room for a hammer.

At the moment, I have not put in those two bolts that you have to drill the holes for. All I will use the thing for is a bike rack and I think that tabs where the bolts go on each side are just to keep the hitch from shifting back when you are towing a trailer. They are certainly not load bearing given how thin the trunk metal is that they mount to.

Were you able to put a torque wrench to all eight of the U-bolt nuts? I could only get at 6 of them. With two, the muffler blocked access.

I note that we seem to have twin cars, except yours is gas and mine is diesel.

- GRL
Old 06-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Almost a Member!

06 E350
I used a long punch, about 10" and was able to tap it thru but yes, it is tight in there. I did not use a torque wrench, just educated muscle but did get all of them. Even for a bike rack I think it would be prudent to drill the holes. And you're right the metal is thin in the trunk, I backed up the bolt with fender washers to help with that.

I like the new diesel technology, what's your fuel mileage if I might ask?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:13 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Mileage

I used a long punch, about 10" and was able to tap it thru but yes, it is tight in there. I did not use a torque wrench, just educated muscle but did get all of them. Even for a bike rack I think it would be prudent to drill the holes. And you're right the metal is thin in the trunk, I backed up the bolt with fender washers to help with that.

I like the new diesel technology, what's your fuel mileage if I might ask?
Mileage is a little disappointing. In town, I am getting 24-27 mpg (that's what the one day averages range within, I have not done a full tank yet). That's not bad. Highway (850 miles coming back from South Carolina) was 35 mpg @ 67 mph, 34 mpg @ 70 mph, and 32.5 mpg @ 75 mph. That's with the AC on and one person in the car, no luggage. I was really hoping for 37 mpg @ 70 mph...the original EPA highway estimate.

Some people claim far better mileage for these cars...one guy claimed 50 mpg @ 80 mph on this forum, but I think that adult beverages were involved in that claim.

What do you get in your E350?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Almost a Member!

06 E350
Originally Posted by nopcbs
one guy claimed 50 mpg @ 80 mph on this forum, but I think that adult beverages were involved in that claim.
LOL

Actually I'm very pleased with my mileage. Combined average is 25.1 on the computer, pure city is around 18-19, steady hwy, flat terrain at 65 is 28-29.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:25 PM

2006 E320 CDI
About what I would have guessed...

LOL

Actually I'm very pleased with my mileage. Combined average is 25.1 on the computer, pure city is around 18-19, steady hwy, flat terrain at 65 is 28-29.
A diesel is supposed to get 20-25% better mileage than a comparable gas engine, so what you and I get lines right up with that.

I was going to get a new Jetta TDI sportwagon which gets almost 50 mpg highway, but I just could not quite make myself do it. I drove one a couple of times and it's a very nice car, but something...maybe that WWF belt ornament sized chrome grill, maybe the really bad quality reputation VW's have, maybe the fact that my wife hates station wagons, stopped me. Now some guy at work has bought one (red exterior and tan interior...exactly what I would have bought) so the reminder will constantly be there. Funny thing is that Consumer Reports says the VW TDI and Merc diesel get just about the same city mileage...TDI highway mileage is some 15 mpg greater.

Sure hope diesel prices don't explode again.

- GRL
Old 06-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Almost a Member!

06 E350
Had a GTI before the 350 and it was fun but at 25k miles it had rattles like a car with 100k, rode just too rough and was I hearing reliability issues so decided to try the Benz. Red and tan are my favorite combination, wish the E class was available in those colors rather than just the C. May try a Blutec when they are available here.