E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Glove box lock cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 Elegance Saloon
Glove box lock cover

I am looking to replace the glove box lock in my car. Well, really just the lock cover. I have looked all over the internet, including aftermarket sites, MB OEM online catalog and here with the search function...
Does anyone know where besides my parts advisor i can pick up this part. Further, does anyone have the MB part #?
I saw a burlwood piece on one site but i don't really feel like paying $229. I just want a new piece without the key scratches...they're bothering me
Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
Me too...Me too!!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Nowhere besides your dealer.

Or you could try buymbparts.com, which can source genuine parts.

Nobody but nobody but nobody makes aftermarket glove box door locks for Mercedes (or BMW, or Audi, or ...).
Old 06-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by fortlaudsummer
Does anyone know where besides my parts advisor i can pick up this part. Further, does anyone have the MB part #? I just want a new piece without the key scratches...
See #430 in diagram, part # is 2116890130 + color code extension specific to your VIN (i.e.: Charcoal interior = Anthracite = 7241) - parts.com $6.90
Attached Thumbnails Glove box lock cover-scan.jpg  
Old 06-17-2009, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
parts.com $6.90
Which means it may be all of $10 at your dealer--making all the searching and posting a big waste of time.

Fear of dealers is 99% irrational.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:47 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Originally Posted by konigstiger
See #430 in diagram, part # is 2116890130 + color code extension specific to your VIN (i.e.: Charcoal interior = Anthracite = 7241) - parts.com $6.90
Thank you konigstiger for your very helpful post.

Kent, thanks also for you highly opinionated responses. While I do not agree, you point is duly noted.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by fortlaudsummer
Thank you konigstiger for your very helpful post.

Kent, thanks also for you highly opinionated responses. While I do not agree, you point is duly noted.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM

2007 Mercedes Benz E350 AMG Sport Edition
Originally Posted by lkchris
Which means it may be all of $10 at your dealer--making all the searching and posting a big waste of time.

Fear of dealers is 99% irrational.
I agree 100%, why is there such a big deal (fear) about calling the dealer for prices, part numbers and suggestions? I call my dealer for a lot of things that I need. The only downfall of using the Mercedes dealer is the high prices. We, the car owners should not fret communicating with our dealers. They cater to us, not vice versa. No harm, no foul done, I just want to understand why there is a lack of communication, thats all.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:16 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Not sure if these are directed at me or not, but where in my original post did I state that I was afraid to contact the dealership? I can not speak for anyone else, but I can tell you that I am on very good terms with the parts managers at two different dealerships. I speak with them regularly, talk shop and parts and, from time to time, argue my point and teach them new things. I speak with one more than the other as the prices are generally lower. BUT, why drive all the way to the dealership and bother a busy parts manager with a frivolous part when I can just find it quickly online for (hopefully) cheaper and have it shipped directly to me for next to nothing. I understand they are running a business and, while I make sure to get what I want, am mindful and respectful of that.

Again, I'm not sure if the comments were directed towards me in whole or in part, but I can assure you that I am in no way fearful of my dealerships or any of their motley crue of employees.

btw: Isn't one of the functions or forums such as this to chat about part numbers, trade parts and info in a casual manner and share experiences and tips with one another? Are we discouraged from asking questions whose answers are not easily attainable via search function? Not sure why you guys are reacting so negatively to such a simple question...

Last edited by fortlaudsummer; 06-17-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 PM

2003 E240
+1 to that, it was just a post, it is not like it is the end of the world, besides if you don't want to read it can't you just close it.

The whole point of a forum is discussion, if we are going to knock everyone that talks, that is truly the waste of time.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 AM

I see your point. And although I wasn't directing my post towards anyone (just a rant) I see where your coming from. Looks like we just used this forum for a discussion!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Dealer Ethics

IMHOP
Car dealers are forced to "gouge" customers for repairs because it is the only area of their business that allows them to make a real profit. The internet has trimmed new car sales profits to the point that the dealers are scraping a living from people (we are all guilty) that will throw them under the bus for a few dollars. Used car sales probably mute this loss somewhat. Nevertheless, when I cross into a dealer repair facility, I feel as though I am fair game for anything they can get. Even "regular" customers are subject to abuse, after all, they are willing and able to pay the price. These cars have some areas that I cannot deal with. The electronics are a case in point. I am from the mechanical age and I could not even begin to unravel a "most ring" problem.
So it is a vicious circle, we try and limit our exposure, forcing them to increase the price of their services when they get you in a corner.
I'll give you an example (not an M-B dealer). I take an 8 year old car into the dealer because the key buzzer goes off intermittently while driving. I have no clue, but the SA knows (Probably) it is a defective door switch. Part cost$3. He annouces a $100 diagnostic charge for all electrical problems. I pay $106 for a 5 minute job. In addition he works up $4500 in deferred maintenance for a car with a bluebook value of $2500. I must really look gullible. That was 3 years and 35,000 miles ago and it is still providing reliable service.
As these vehicles age and the more affluent board members move on to 212 or other vehicles, DIY questions and maintenance will be more common and advice from people like me that treat dealers as a last resort will be more forthcoming.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Pretty much true. For the amount invested in his business facilility and staff the profit he gets to make on a new car (when you consider what he pays for it plus the finance charges accrued on a cancelled car or a car not "properly" equipped for his market that sits on his lot a couple of months or more, you can see why they foam at the mouth when they see you step up to the parts counter or pull into the service tunnel.

Actually, they could soften their image if they would charge you anything less than list price for a part... "Here ya go... I've given you a 10% discount... thanks for coming in... have a nice day." The image of an SA or parts counter guy "being on your side" goes so far in keeping you a customer that people find it hard to harbor resentment at "Dealer Prices". There's nothing like the feeling that you are in the "inner circle" within the Dealership.

The smart Dealerships do this. There are those customers to whom nothing about the Dealership Experience matters, and there are those to whom a discount or the occaisional key chain/mug/pen set AND DISCOUNT, can keep a customer loyal for at least a couple of cars. Then the cycle begins again.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:53 PM

Is this what people call hijacking a thread?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 PM

2001 c class 220
£10.69 at mercedes newcastle upon tyne today