A million lowering questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 E320 Bluetec
i know its not related to your rims but your car looks good

Originally Posted by pinebaron
My question is not related to my rims but I have MRR GT1 19". Before I change the suspension and or springs on my vehicle, I need to know its OEM Front and Rear spring rate specifications .

Spring Rate is the amount of weight needed to compress a spring. Suspension springs are rated in LB/in (in metric system kg/mm), or specifically, how many pounds of weight are required to depress the spring by one inch or kg per mm.

Say my current OEM front springs are 560lb/in or 10kg/mm (these are equivalent) and replacing these with springs of 672lb/in or 12kg/mm will give it a somewhat firmer ride which may be what I am looking for since it may mean (depending on other factors and vehicle geometry) reduced roll.

I have a feeling the current spring rates are in the Comfort Zone for the Bluetec high 500's/low 600's lb front (rears are usually lower). If I know this precise information I can somewhat calculate or gauge a change in comfort, stability, roll etc. if the suspension is altered with higher spring rates.

I usually like to do tremendous research before jumping into something.
makes sense.even with H&r springs my car still feels floaty. it is better then stock but could be better
Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
anyone know the settings/parameters to lower by STARS without the ecu/computer resetting back to factory after car is lowered? several places i went to said they can do it, but after a few cycles of the key starting, it resets back to factory settings!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by sunny_j
i know its not related to your rims but your car looks good

makes sense.even with H&r springs my car still feels floaty. it is better then stock but could be better
Thanks. I love the new look. The ride is actually better than my OEM 16's. I found it hard to believe but then I drove around for several miles and also on a long bumpy road, the suspension performed flawlessly and not the harsh ride I imagined with 19's. It was just the right combination of wheels with OEM offsets front and back. Now I am working on replacing the suspension and lowering the car; I will publish details, pics etc. when I have it done.