E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'09 E350 trunk indentations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 CL500; 05 C230 sport
'09 E350 trunk indentations

I've just purchased a new '09 E350 and noticed that the fit and finish is not up to par. The door(s) on the driver's side do not align properly leaving the rub strip, and window trim off enough to notice the break in the line when looking down the side. The worst offense is that there's two indentations on the top of the trunk - same distance from each end. It's obvious because my car is black, and when sighting down the top of the trunk, it shows. The dealer did not fix either problem, because I did not want it to be worse than it already is. I didn't feel confident that the young mechanic could align my doors properly (as he himself expressed problems he's had with other cars), and the only way to fix the trunk is to pull, bondo, and repaint the trunk. They're unable to get the "spoon" for a paintless dent repair between the framework of the trunk and the skin.
Anyone else notice this on '09 E350's? I saw another one at the dealership like this. Any ideas for a proper fix?
This forum is very useful and all you contributors are awesome.
Thanks,
Old 08-14-2009, 08:11 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
No M-B(or any car) is perfect and there will always be waves,dents, etc even when brand new. Have you ever looked at a black Maserati Quattroporte? The fenders look HORRIBLE for a $100k+ car.............but people still buy them. Hell, even the M-B SL65 BS looks like crap in person(to the trained eye). I guess that's why soooooo many people buy silver cars since they hide all those little imperfections.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I've seen my friends 2009 E350's (two of them) and they are perfect.

How did you purchase a car without first inspecting it? I put 20 miles on my car even though it was custom built for me before I signed anything. I made sure it drove straight, the DVD disc was the latest version, etc.

Can you take pictures of whatever you're seeing? This is the first I've heard of something this bad and I would take it up w/ MBUSA about how bad things are.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 PM

02 CL500; 05 C230 sport
Yes, it is my fault for not inspecting before driving away. I was distracted by trying to load my cell phone for the Bluetooth link. Spent too much time on that, and nothing on looking the car over. Assumed it would be terrific. I did trade in a Silver '02 CL500, so I know about hiding defects and not stressing over washing and waxing. Guess I'll learn to quit being so **** about perfection and just enjoy the E. It is a great car; though not as high end as the CL of course. The Cl has suspension problems that I did not want to deal with any more. Don't know how to link pix yet, but when I find out, I'll send some. To Mercedes' credit, a representative did call me to discuss my disappointment with their manufacturing defect. I don't know what their next step will be, but the rep said she'd get back about it.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
To attach Pictures: When you post, scroll below the "Submit Reply" button to the box labeled "Additional Options". Click "Manage Attachments" a window will open up, browse your computer for the pics you want to post. Select them, upload & save. The click "Submit Reply" button as always.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-15-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Please do update us. I'm glad a rep got in touch with you. I'm interested to know how MBUSA plans to handle this.

Originally Posted by aekopilot
Yes, it is my fault for not inspecting before driving away. I was distracted by trying to load my cell phone for the Bluetooth link. Spent too much time on that, and nothing on looking the car over. Assumed it would be terrific. I did trade in a Silver '02 CL500, so I know about hiding defects and not stressing over washing and waxing. Guess I'll learn to quit being so **** about perfection and just enjoy the E. It is a great car; though not as high end as the CL of course. The Cl has suspension problems that I did not want to deal with any more. Don't know how to link pix yet, but when I find out, I'll send some. To Mercedes' credit, a representative did call me to discuss my disappointment with their manufacturing defect. I don't know what their next step will be, but the rep said she'd get back about it.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
It's interesting you say this. I've looked at some '09's at various lots, and I've noticed some "shotty" happenings with some of them. For one, some of the rubber strippings have appeared a little more worn than the ones on my car (namely around the door frames, I just thought it was weird as they're brand new cars), the outside door pulls seemed non-lubed and almost "cheap" feeling to the pull, much unlike my car or some other W211's I've tried.

As well, one '09 I sat it has pretty bad alignment problems with the dash area around the screen, one of the sides was sticking out a bit, again something I've never seen on any other W211.

I dunno, maybe I'm just over-**** too, but I thought it was kinda weird.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 PM

02 CL500; 05 C230 sport
Thank you for sharing information about fit and finish. I'm speculating that the '09's didn't warrant much attention to quality since they were ramping up for the '10's. Any way it is disappointing, since I did expect much better from MB. So far no further word from the MB rep. I'll give it a week more, then call for an update.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:11 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Not sure, that could just be a weird coincidence though. I saw some '09's today when I went to my Dealer, and they were all top notch.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:37 AM

02 CL500; 05 C230 sport
I tried to take pictures of the indentations, but it just won't show up. You have to move your head and see it in the right light for it to show up. It's something to live with, but I'm going to pursue the service department at least to have it noted for the record. The paint may peel sometime in the next couple years, then it would be time to have it repaired. I don't think it's too much to ask of a company like Mercedes-Benz to produce a product with the upmost quality in fit and finish, as well as performance and safety engineering. That's the reason I didn't buy another brand. I wanted and thought I was getting the best.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

That really does suck, and I agree. It's a pain in the butt, but I'd really make a fuss about this, and try and get a new car, although it's much easier said than done.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 PM

2009 E350 Blk w/ AMG Pkg& 2002 ML500 Slvr w/ Sport Package
I've just purchased a new '09 E350 and noticed that the fit and finish is not up to par. The door(s) on the driver's side do not align properly leaving the rub strip, and window trim off enough to notice the break in the line when looking down the side. The worst offense is that there's two indentations on the top of the trunk - same distance from each end. It's obvious because my car is black, and when sighting down the top of the trunk, it shows. The dealer did not fix either problem, because I did not want it to be worse than it already is. I didn't feel confident that the young mechanic could align my doors properly (as he himself expressed problems he's had with other cars), and the only way to fix the trunk is to pull, bondo, and repaint the trunk. They're unable to get the "spoon" for a paintless dent repair between the framework of the trunk and the skin.
Anyone else notice this on '09 E350's? I saw another one at the dealership like this. Any ideas for a proper fix?
Thanks,
thats interesting... I just looked at my 09E50 - BLK and it does not have what you described. Very odd.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by K-A
That really does suck, and I agree. It's a pain in the butt, but I'd really make a fuss about this, and try and get a new car, although it's much easier said than done.
You MUST be kidding him, right?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 PM

02 E320 Blk, 09 E350 Blk
Thanks,

My new 09 E350(2 weeks old) Blk, they look perfect/straight...only thing is when I open my driver door, I can hear little squeeze, but no big issue....
Old 08-31-2009, 05:49 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
You MUST be kidding him, right?
I'd aim high, for sure, me being the way I am I would be livid if I realized that and had to live with it after paying that kind of money. I figure you'd get a better chance of getting them to fix the problems.

It probably would be best for the brain and blood pressure to just accept and come to terms with it and live with it though, of course.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 766 Likes on 745 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
and this was a "new" 09 car???
Old 09-02-2009, 04:22 PM

2009 E350 Blk w/ AMG Pkg& 2002 ML500 Slvr w/ Sport Package
Originally Posted by K-A
I'd aim high, for sure, me being the way I am I would be livid if I realized that and had to live with it after paying that kind of money. I figure you'd get a better chance of getting them to fix the problems.

It probably would be best for the brain and blood pressure to just accept and come to terms with it and live with it though, of course.
I am assuming this is a outlier issue, because, I double checked my car, and my sister-in-law and my step father in law E350 and nothing came up.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 PM

02 CL500; 05 C230 sport
Thanks for your comments and concerns. Yes, it was a brand new E350 (only 17 miles on the odometer). I took it sight unseen, because I was bumming about my '02 CL500's Active Body Control suspension going south on me. It started leaking in the check valves, and settling on it's tires - this after an accumulator change, and the hydraulic lines replaced according to a Service Bulletin. I asked the sales manager if there were any Mercedes made that didn't have computer controlled suspensions, or auto closing doors and trunk lids. The '09 E350 was the last model with normal shock absorbers, and manual door and trunk closing. The base C models also meet that criteria, but trading down from a CL was bad enough; so I settled for an E. 2010 models have Advanced Active Damping (computer controlled shocks). E550 and E63 AMGs have air bags with computer control. So in an emotionally irrational decision, I told him to hold one of the last two E350's and I'd trade in my '02 CL500. I was just frustrated enough to rid myself of the CL's problems and didn't think about checking the new car thoroughly. So sometimes we live with our mistakes and just move on. Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Thanks for your comments and concerns. Yes, it was a brand new E350 (only 17 miles on the odometer). I took it sight unseen, because I was bumming about my '02 CL500's Active Body Control suspension going south on me. It started leaking in the check valves, and settling on it's tires - this after an accumulator change, and the hydraulic lines replaced according to a Service Bulletin. I asked the sales manager if there were any Mercedes made that didn't have computer controlled suspensions, or auto closing doors and trunk lids. The '09 E350 was the last model with normal shock absorbers, and manual door and trunk closing. The base C models also meet that criteria, but trading down from a CL was bad enough; so I settled for an E. 2010 models have Advanced Active Damping (computer controlled shocks). E550 and E63 AMGs have air bags with computer control. So in an emotionally irrational decision, I told him to hold one of the last two E350's and I'd trade in my '02 CL500. I was just frustrated enough to rid myself of the CL's problems and didn't think about checking the new car thoroughly. So sometimes we live with our mistakes and just move on. Thanks for letting me vent!
Yes, you are correct. However, the 2010 350's still come with regular shocks, so no airmatic. Also, the 350 and 550 coupe are the same. The 63 only has airbags in the back, while the 550 sedan has all around. The W204 C's also come with agility control standard.

Ya, I always worry about the ABC suspension on our 02 CL500 and the airmatic on my E. The actuator for the auto-closing on the driver's door just went out and once the trunk lid one went out as well. I never had a problem with the auto-close vacuums on my 94 S420. Maybe cost cutting in the parts? Actually, the new CL550's don't have ABC anymore and have airmatic instead since they are 4matic (AMGs and 600 still do).

We keep thinking of selling the CL before the problems with the suspension start.

Last edited by gaazmon; 09-03-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

That really sucks, seems like a bad situation all around for you.

I know the S and CL aren't exactly the same cars, but if it helps any, I switched from an '02 S500 (w/ ABC, and every other Option possible) to my E350, and besides roominess and some of those "S" only Luxury's, I think the E is a better car all around, is a refined and more sharp interpretation of the design language started by the W220 S and CL (IMO), etc. Of course we all have different expectations and viewpoints, etc.