center arm rest delaminating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by SkiMiester
Don't use super glue it will no stick to leather. Also, if the bubble is not to stretched then there should be no resulting wrinkle.
Interesting,,, I used the medium glue from hobby shop and repaired the leather seats in my Diesel truck when the seam pulled apart. That was 3 yrs ago and it still holds. However if there is padding/foam type rubber it will not hold well.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Originally Posted by epress655
Where did you purchase the replacement armrest. Can you provide contact info? Thanks

He bought it here:

"The part number for the charcoal color is: 211 680 36 39 9C09
It cost me $232.30 + shipping from parts.com. "
Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 & ML500
For those having problems with the clam shell bubbling. Pacman from the AMG forums just posted a DIY (total cost of 12$ and 2 hrs of time)

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...r-armrest.html

Originally Posted by pacman...
After doing much research and trying to figure out more about the issue on these center armrest, i said to hell with it and took it all apart.

TOOLS

*T10-T12 Torx tools
*3m Adhesive
*Flat head screw driver
*Flat spatula (preferably plastic one so you don't rip the leather)
*A HELL OF A LOT OF PATIENCE!!!!

STEPS
1. REMOVE THE CONSOLE BY UNSCREWING THE TORX SCREWS ON THE INSIDE AND BOTTOM OF THE CONSOLE.

2. REMOVE INSIDE ON CONSOLE AND PUT TO THE SIDE (LEAVE ALL THE WIRING INSIDE THE CONSOLE IN THE BOTTOM COMPARTMENT)

***DO NOT FORGET WHICH WAY THE WIRES GO ONCE YOU REMOVE THE FLASE FLOOR OF THE FIRST LEVEL WHERE ALL OF THE TELE-AID CABLES ARE!!!!***

3. ONCE TOP OF ARMREST IS EMPTY LIFT CONSOLE TILL UPRIGHT AND REMOVE THE LAST 2 TORX SCREWS LOCATED ON THE REAR BOTTOM PART OF ARM REST (ITS WHAT ATTACHES THE LITTLE STEP BEHIND THE ARMREST)

4. PULL CONSOLE OUT AND GET READY FOR THE REAL FUN TO BEGIN...LOL

5. REMOVE THE LOCKING MECHANISM, AND ONCE THE 2 SIDES ARE OPEN YOU WILL SEE THERE IS A SPRING AND A REAR TOGGLE HOLDING IT IN PLACE BY PRESSURE AND A METAL CYLINDER WEDGE.

6. REMOVE REAR TO FRONT, ONCE YOU PULL OFF THE TOGGLE AND METAL WEDGE LET THE SIDE OPEN PULL UP AND PUSH FORWARD TILL ARM IS OFF...FOR THE OPPOSITE SIDE REPEAT SAME PROCEDURE.

7. ONCE BOTH ARMS ARE OFF, STICK THE FLAT HEAD SCREW DRIVER IN BETWEEN THE LEATHER AND BOTTOM PLASTIC, TO SEPARATE THE TOP AND BOTTOM...APPLY PROPER PRESSURE TO SEPARATE BE CAREFUL TO NOT BREAK THE CLIPS (YOU WILL HEAR IT START TO CRACK AND SUCH, AND THAT BECAUSE THE PLASTIC INSIDE OF IT WAS MELTED TO HOLD TOGETHER TOP AND BOTTOM WITH PLASTIC RIBITS) ALSO REMOVE THE WIPER LOOKING CLIPS THAT SEAL THE 2 ARMS TOGETHER ONCE CLOSED.

8. ONCE SEPARATED USE FLAT SPATULA TO PUSH CORNERS OF THE LEATHER OFF OF THE PLASTIC UPPER COVER...PULL OFF AS NEEDED AND APPLY 3M ADHESIVE, LET IT DRY AND THEN ASSEMBLE AND SNAP CLIPS INTO PLACE (YOU CAN ALSO IF WANTING TO BE UNIQUE CHOSE TO RE-WRAP IT IN SUEDE OR EVEN STITCH IT SO THIS WONT HAPPEN AGAIN)...AND REPEAT PROCESS IN REVERSE TO FINISH REASSEMBLY

AND FINALLY PUT BACK IN CAR...AND WAHLAHHHHH!!!! DONT!!!

LOOK AT PICS POSTED FOR EXAMPLES...THANKS

PLEASE DROP ME SOME THANKS OR PROPS... THANKS
Old 08-17-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 MB E500
Originally Posted by wampa
For those having problems with the clam shell bubbling. Pacman from the AMG forums just posted a DIY (total cost of 12$ and 2 hrs of time)

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...r-armrest.html
Very impressive and tenacious. You have way more patience and skill than I...I think I'm going to just slice the bubble and re-glue for now. Then Ill save my sheckles and go the $232 replacement route.