E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Windshield sunshade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43
In the trunk. It fits nicely under my jacket I keep back there(girlfriend likes to not bring a jacket and then gets cold, lol)

I took that picture to roughly show the size when its rolled up.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by Mr. Special
...I have always used an accordion style shade on other cars and I can’t say I have a favorite style in comparison. The fit is near perfect and lets minimal light in on the sides. Overall I’m satisfied and I definitely feel a difference in temperature when climbing into the car after work.

Nice! I have all windows (excluding windshield) and sunroofs tinted with Huper Optik AND an accordion sunshade for the windshield right now. After parking my car outside in the sun for nearly 9 hours during workdays, it seems to make minimal difference whether or not the accordian sunshade was put up or not (maybe the car is a couple degrees cooler, but not by much). I'm thinking it's because the accordian style sunshade still lets in heat/UV around the edges since it's not a perfectly flush fit to the windshield. What do you think? Is the difference VERY noticeable? How many degrees cooler does the Covercraft make your car (compared to the accordian-style)? Or will the car still reach the same temperature (regardless of Covercraft, accordian-style, or no sunshade) after sitting outside for 9 hours in the sun?

Sorry for all the questions... thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
In the trunk. It fits nicely under my jacket I keep back there(girlfriend likes to not bring a jacket and then gets cold, (lol) I took that picture to roughly show the size when its rolled up.
LOL. I have the opposite. She takes a jacket or sweater with her as we walk out the door in 90+ weather.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43
Originally Posted by chokaay
Nice! I have all windows (excluding windshield) and sunroofs tinted with Huper Optik AND an accordion sunshade for the windshield right now. After parking my car outside in the sun for nearly 9 hours during workdays, it seems to make minimal difference whether or not the accordian sunshade was put up or not (maybe the car is a couple degrees cooler, but not by much). I'm thinking it's because the accordian style sunshade still lets in heat/UV around the edges since it's not a perfectly flush fit to the windshield. What do you think? Is the difference VERY noticeable? How many degrees cooler does the Covercraft make your car (compared to the accordian-style)? Or will the car still reach the same temperature (regardless of Covercraft, accordian-style, or no sunshade) after sitting outside for 9 hours in the sun?

Sorry for all the questions... thanks in advance!
If you have a well built accordion style shade, I don’t think there will be much of a difference by going to the HeatShield. The only difference would be if your shade doesn’t completely fill the window, the HeatShield is cut to match each individual car.

If spending $47.81(shipping/tax included) is worth trying something different then I’d say give it a shot.

Personally the big advantage to having a shade is not the lower interior temperature, the A/C takes care of that nicely; but the fact that the steering wheel, shift knob, seats, etc are all not scorching hot when I sit down
Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic
Thanks for the feedback Mr. Spec... I'm sold... I'll be putting my order in...
Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 AM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Personally the big advantage to having a shade is not the lower interior temperature, the A/C takes care of that nicely; but the fact that the steering wheel, shift knob, seats, etc are all not scorching hot when I sit down
+ 1

When possible, I park with the rear of the car facing the sun, but that's not always possible. When I return, the A/C pulls the interior temperature down quickly and the heat shield keeps the wheel, etc. from being almost too hot to touch. Since it's reflective, it probably keeps the interior temperature down a bit too - but as you pointed out - the greatest advantage is being able to touch the steering wheel.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic
Got it...fits perfectly, covers the entire windshield, easy to use...great product...
Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Well, I'm going to update this very OLD thread since it's probably still helpful to some people (and since it's one of the top Google results when you search for "Mercedes Benz Windshield Sunshade").

Yesterday i finally made an "impulse buy" and bought an OEM Windshield Sunshade from a socal MB dealer. My previous cheap generic windshield sunscreen finally fell apart on me after many years of service, and because of all the positive comments about Covercraft and MB's OEM sunshade, I thought might as well see what all the excitement is about. MSRP was $90 + tax, but after a gift certificate I had and my VIP discount I got it for $59.90 total (including tax).

Based on the talk in this thread, it possibly could be made by Covercraft (it LOOKS like the photos on their website... but with a black MB ribbon across the upper-left corner with a grey MB logo and the words "Mercedes-Benz" across it).

Quality looks pretty good. I never had a high-end Covercraft or other windshield sunscreen before. It's very lightweight, but the materials are very solid (no "give" at all). The felt on the side stitching looks a little "fuzzy" on some areas, and guess I expected the stitching on it to look "stronger", but I guess it's fine for a sunshade and looks doesn't necessarily equal performance. One thing to note is that the sunshade does NOT say where it's made from (China or U.S.A.). It comes with a nice grey cloth storage bag with velcro to keep it shut.

As for fit, it does fit the front of my 2009 E350 very well. I also have a hardwired V1 up by my rearview mirror & lighting roof panel, and I'm glad to report that my V1 fit through the the cut-out fit around my unit perfectly (in fact any smaller and this sunshade probably wouldn't have worked for me). My only concern is the rearview mirror opening looks to be pretty large, which is good for my V1, but may not be so good because it can possibly let in sunlight and/or heat into the cabin through this opening. (I haven't tried this sunshade in the sun yet, but hopefully it will make a big difference... especially compared to the cheap generic sunshade I was using before.)

Last edited by chokaay; 06-20-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:36 AM

C300
i know its a necro thread but i dont see a need in making a new one. there is good info in this one.

im looking for sunshades for all 4 side windows. anybody have any recommendations? 2012 C300 Sedan

Last edited by carlsjr; 02-23-2016 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
W218
Hell yeah all year long!

I wanna keep the interior nice.

Got mine off amazon