E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

XM radio on Comand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
XM radio on Comand

So I'm looking at purchasing a comand unit and wondering if it's compatible with XM radio.. as far as showing channels and whats playing? I see the sat button but not sure if that means sirius.. or either... also would I just buy a xm receiver and antenna?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:16 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by trioxin
So I'm looking at purchasing a comand unit and wondering if it's compatible with XM radio.. as far as showing channels and whats playing? I see the sat button but not sure if that means sirius.. or either... also would I just buy a xm receiver and antenna?
sat button is for sirius radio... you need to get an oem reciever and antenna and everything will show up on the command. also keep in mind that XM and sirius are the same company now and share most channels and content.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
As far as I can tell, SXM does not yet have integrated billing despite having nearly the same line-up. So, if you have XM already, you will need a new Sirius account. They may integrate in the future, but there is no official word on it. I'm holding off activating my MB's sat service until they integrate billing and offer family plans with either radio type.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 AM

When you say OEM receiver and antenna are you talking the kind you can get down at best buy.. little receiver box and antenna kit for sat ready cars? or is this an OEM receiver and antenna specifically designed for our mercedes?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by trioxin
When you say OEM receiver and antenna are you talking the kind you can get down at best buy.. little receiver box and antenna kit for sat ready cars? or is this an OEM receiver and antenna specifically designed for our mercedes?
OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer, in this case MB. The Satellite radio receiver used in our cars is one designed specifically for this car. The aftermarket receivers in stores are designed for SAT ready radios meant for many cars dashboards. They use a different means of integration and SAT info display. Our in-dash "radio" is really just a dumb display unit for instruments installed elsewhere in the car.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-21-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the input.. makes it a little easier to decide... I really miss Xm in my car.. and super annoying there is no aux port. So it looks like it could cost hundreds if not a thousand to get an aux port or sat radio in the car.. ... Also no option for a2dp sucks... I guess I'll try the cassette adapter again... snake the wire around and try to get it in the ash tray area... sound quality is actually really good.. just annoying not having things all integrated...
Old 08-21-2009, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I have seen on lins some aftermarket electronics outfit that makes an XM unit that integrates perfectly like the "factory" Sirius unit. Try to contact these guys...

http://www.cartronics.com/iTronic.html

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-21-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 PM

Hey thanks for that link... looks like it could be just what I'm looking for if it will work for a non comand head unit.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 PM

04 CL55
I installed one of these and works fine through the comand. Only issue is getting good reception from the aftermarket antenna, its magnetic and thr trunk deck is plastic. I hear there is an oem sat antenna that is installed inside the trunk deck lid (inside the liner) that work great. anyone know part number?

but yes, you can get satellite through the comand...
Old 02-12-2010, 05:18 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by wigging
I installed one of these and works fine through the comand. Only issue is getting good reception from the aftermarket antenna, its magnetic and thr trunk deck is plastic. I hear there is an oem sat antenna that is installed inside the trunk deck lid (inside the liner) that work great. anyone know part number?

but yes, you can get satellite through the comand...
Wigging,
Did you install the cartronics unit behind the command? Also, did you yourself run the antenna wire to the trunk? How hard was it to run the antenna lead to the trunk? I am thinking on getting the Cartronics unit for my 2006 e320.
Thank you,
Mike T.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Mike T,

I tried to buy one of these for my 06 w211 and got the run around from that company about compatibility. Might be worth asking a lot of questions before you buy to make sure they've corrected the issues.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by AreL11
Mike T,

I tried to buy one of these for my 06 w211 and got the run around from that company about compatibility. Might be worth asking a lot of questions before you buy to make sure they've corrected the issues.
Thanks AreL11! Did you ever get one installed? If so, what did you go with.
Mike T.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:39 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Thanks AreL11! Did you ever get one installed? If so, what did you go with.
Mike T.
I didn't. I realized the only way to do it was the factory way and I don't really want to drop $1k on it. My car isn't pre-wired for it so there are a bunch of extra hoops to jump through. I have the factory ipod connector in my glove box so I just use that. I do miss not having SAT though.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
I didn't. I realized the only way to do it was the factory way and I don't really want to drop $1k on it. My car isn't pre-wired for it so there are a bunch of extra hoops to jump through. I have the factory ipod connector in my glove box so I just use that. I do miss not having SAT though.
If you have the ipod integration kit, do you lose the aux input for anything else?

I ask because I am taking delivery of a 2006 e500 that has Ipod integrated, but I would like to add Sirius also. I prefer not to use the factory sirius because of the cost.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:42 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Bag302
If you have the ipod integration kit, do you lose the aux input for anything else?

I ask because I am taking delivery of a 2006 e500 that has Ipod integrated, but I would like to add Sirius also. I prefer not to use the factory sirius because of the cost.

Thanks!
You cannot use the ipod and the aux input. It's one or the other.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
You cannot use the ipod and the aux input. It's one or the other.
Thanks. One more thing. I have a Harman Kardan Drive + Play 2 that I can use to control the ipod with Audio going to the aux input. This unit also adds another selectable aux input so I can switch between the ipod and an aftermarket sirius unit.

I'm considering removing the CD changer and putting the sirius radio in the cubby behind the retractable control plate and putting the ipod controller in the ashtray.

Seems like it should work.

How hard is it to remove the ipod integration kit and the CD changer??