Complete Audio Overhaul on W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E320
Smile Complete Audio Overhaul on W211

Complete Audio Overhaul
Hey guys, ok I registered a couple of days ago on this site and I think I have navigated all over the forums in search of information relating to a complete audio overhaul for the 2003 E320 but I couldn't find anything so this is why I'm starting a new thread.

The factory head unit's CD function just gave up and so I've been planning a new audio system for a couple of days now... so please excuse me if my questions are somewhat newbie'ish.

My goal with this project is to install something that's removable and sounds a lot better than factory. And I only want this sound quality inside the car, I don't want the kind of bass that will make me stand out in traffic, I just want it to make my listening experience very rich. Steering wheel controls for volume & track selection. Play musicvideos (not movies, I don't drive long distances) on my headrest monitors if I have passengers in the back of the car. As a source for music I would use my Ipod Touch. I would LOVVVVVE to have 5.1 Surround or I guess 4.1 Surround as I don't have a Center.

This is the list of stuff I've purchased or thinking of purchasing:
1. PURCHASED a new double DIN headunit from china that has BT & BT Stereo(A2DP), Built-In Microphone, Steering Wheel Control(???), RDS, DVD, DIVX/MP4/MP3, USB, SD CARD SLOTS, Picture in Picture, Analog TV-Tuner, Built In GPS(SIRF Star III) with 400MHZ and 64MB RAM on Windows CE 5.0, Voice Guidance, IPOD Ready with cables(exact functionality unknown yet), 7" 800x480 touchpanel, AUX, Rear Camera In, FM/AM. (MOS-FET 4 x 45W Stereo Amplifier)
2. PURCHASED two 11.2" headrest monitors (800x480) that matches the interior of the car & have RCA In's.
3. PURCHASED Boston Acoustics 5-Channel GT-50 Amplifier, Type A/B. (4 x 45W + 1 x 190W @ 4ohm | or | 4 x 65W + 1 x 250W @ 2ohm.)
4. PURCHASED a BEST KITS DOUBLE DIN Kit (Comes with a wire-harness and an FM antenna I think.)
5. LOOKING to buy a 10" subwoofer in a sealed box.
6. LOOKING to buy a 128GB USB Drive.
7. CONTEMPLATING whether I should buy ROCKFORD FOSGATE 3Sixty.2 Sound Processor or other processor from other brand.
8. CONTEMPLATING whether I should replace the stock speakers as well or not, depending on the sound. (Speaker sizes are 6 1/2 but the depth I have in the front is apparently only 1.5" and most speakers are between 1.5"-2" So I wouldn't have room in the front. I was looking at Infinity Reference 6030CS Speakers.
9. CONTEMPLATING getting a rear view license plate camera, but not too convinced it would look good on the car.

So I went to a couple of local car audio spots and I've picked up more tidbits about issues I'll have on this project: one tells me that my RADIO won't be able to work after all is said and done. Another shop tells me I should keep the speakers cuz it would require some major modification to the car to fit regular 6 1/2 speakers in front & just buy a 10" sub and hook it up to all my other gear. The Mercedes dealer says once I start replacing speakers & such I will start seeing error codes in my dash.

Now my questions to you guys is, what else will I need to make this project assembly ready?? I read something about PAC-Audio Steering wheel controls but I also read they were very problematic. Amplifier Wiring kits,, speaker wire,, do I need any kind of adaptors or switches or whatever else they may be called??

I have to replace the head unit, hook that up to the 3Sixty.2 Processor, run cables back to the new amp because the car has fibre cabling and then from the amp, steal the speaker wiring from the AGW(correct?) and hook them up to the Boston amp. Now, how can I achieve video on both headrest monitors since my HU only has 1 Video Out, RCA Video multiplier or switcher?? Will I be getting error messages once I start this project because of the steering wheel controls or whatever?? I'm thinking I shouldn't see any errors because I'm replacing Head unit and the AGW, unless the speakers are hooked up to some other detection system. There is an 8" Factory Sub installed in the back in a factory slot, I would love to be able to just replace this sub with something better and hook it up to the new amp but not sure about depth.

I would love to be able to replace the speakers since that would make a huge difference but how can I make it work with the 1.5" depth in the front?? I was looking at Infinity Reference speakers 6030CS, they sounded really nice at some local shop. How can I make it work & what do I need in terms of adaptors & kits & harnesses etc.. Does anyone have any experience with sound processors & the difference they make?? Recommendations??

I've looked high and low for any kind of electrical wiring diagrams for this car to no avail. Can't be found anywhere..?

Sorry for this HUGO post, but once I've planned my install I will post all my diagrams and install pics step by step as I'm sure there must be others interested in seeing how I did it.

Thanks a million!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Keep us posted and make sure you take a lot of pics...couple of things.

1. Overpower your speakers...you can always turn down the gains.
2. Bigger subs is not always better...the combination of enclosure, location of enclosure, power going to sub, and quality of sub construction are factors in getting solid bass. I've heard 1 ten in a car kill a car that had 2 12"s.
3. Front stage is important so spend a little extra to get the best separates you can afford for front speakers.
4. I was not able to get video of my Ipod Touch only my Ipod 160g and 120g
Classic.
5. I like the Kenwood Exelon series for the HU but I see you have already purchased one from China (?). If that doesn't work out...give the Kenwood a shot.
6. Make sure your installer is meticulous and does not cut corners...these are expensive machines and need patience. The wiring behind a panel should be as nice as what can be seen...not only will it function better but also will not be a hazard.

PS...Here are a couple of threads that might help.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...o-surgery.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-lot-pics.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...de-thread.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...-finished.html
Old 09-11-2009, 06:21 PM

'03 E320
WOW!!!!! AMGFAN!!! I could only wish to have that much available dinero's to be able to do anything resembling either of your systems on the E or the SL!! I'm super impressed with those threads you sent me, took me about 30mins to go through and read all posts by everyone and your replies with pics and everything and i must say your cars are both SEX ON WHEELS!!! Pardon my french.

Anyways, thanks for the reply and the links, but I'm on a bit of a budget, and so therefore any kind of custom work is out of the question. I actually wanted to approach this as an educational do-it-yourself project.. i love tinkering around and configuring, tweaking anything electrical.. With that said,, I was wondering if anyone has ever done anything similar on their rides themselves??
Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by petrovski
WOW!!!!! AMGFAN!!! I could only wish to have that much available dinero's to be able to do anything resembling either of your systems on the E or the SL!! I'm super impressed with those threads you sent me, took me about 30mins to go through and read all posts by everyone and your replies with pics and everything and i must say your cars are both SEX ON WHEELS!!! Pardon my french.

Anyways, thanks for the reply and the links, but I'm on a bit of a budget, and so therefore any kind of custom work is out of the question. I actually wanted to approach this as an educational do-it-yourself project.. i love tinkering around and configuring, tweaking anything electrical.. With that said,, I was wondering if anyone has ever done anything similar on their rides themselves??
Try to do a search and type in "audio" or "audio installation"...you should get tons of threads that could help.

Actually, the SL system is very straightforward. It just used the crossover/equalization off the Kenwood HU (no other processors needed since it can go 5.1 plus equilazation). Three amps for front stage, sub, and center...the rear speakers run of the head unit power.

You can simplify it even more if you use a multichannel amp and if you only have one sub combine 2 channels for a mono channel. To be honest with you the SL sounds better to me than the E55 even though the E55 was more costly and more complex. The major difference is that the SL is a smaller space and the sub is firing from the footwell which makes a big difference.

The best sounding system is one that is simple and has the least amount of equalization out of the box...AND sounds good to YOU...each person has different taste and ear.

Keep us posted because we appreciate you sharing and someone else will learn from your thread...pay it forward...
Old 09-13-2009, 03:29 PM

'03 E320
Thanks again AMGFAN,, after some more research I have now also purchased the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 Processor as well as TKO Video Amplifier/Splitter (1 RCA IN - 7 RCA OUTS - for the headrest monitors).
I'm considering getting a 2.5 FARAD Capacitor so the electrical system in the car doesn't get too taxed with all my electronics,, I'm not thinking of getting a ground thumping system, sound quality is my ONLY concern.

I'm looking at Boston Acoustics subwoofers,,, anyone have any experience with BA subs & if so how do u like them??
Old 09-13-2009, 03:34 PM

'03 E320
you guys think the capacitor is overkill?? I'm only gettin a 200-300W subwoofer..
Old 09-13-2009, 08:36 PM

2014 E63-S, 1987 190E 2.3-16, 1985 325E
ok imo... u dont need a capacitor and a lot of the products you purchased are not necessary.... imo

for me to guide you i need to know is your 03 model with or without harman kardon? second do you have the command navi? if not then i agree with the new radio swap i recomend you go online to crutchfield and find the harness that matches mercedes stock headunit's wiring... this will and should stop any warnings that would come up (no warnings should be coming up for audio though.... i doubt your car is going to say: right door speaker malfunction) now as for the speakers all you need to do is find the car stock amp (i have not found where it is yet either... no one can help me on this i HAVE heard it is behind the waterfall i have a guide on how to take it all apart and it's quite easy as well (let me do some research into finding out where that amp is) then all you would do is swap the signals from the stock amp into your new amp and place the new amp where it is most convenient... as for subs what i did is i disconected the sub signal from the sub (my removing the mesh in the back seats behind the headrests) added my wiring there with crimps into the sockets and hot glue so that they don't fall out from the bass and then the signal went into my amp followed by the subs getting connected as you normally would)

basic process you need to do is locate stock amp unplug the audi inputs drag them (or extend them w. new wire) to your new amp... power that amp up, then add your subs with their amp connect it everything will work w. no warnings, but again... i would not change the headunit unless you do not have the navi command and then all you need to do is find the harness if crutchfield doesn't have it google will do the trick i know m cousin ordered his for his c class from ebay all you do is plug it into the harness that went into the stock radio and then connect al the colors to the back of the new radios wires in addition to the antenna (if your going to be opening up that area for all this work may as well add an HD tuner and/or satelite and/or a backup camera)

ps - my subs are 1000 watts each mine are JL w7's just put em in from 12w3v2's so i went up about 500 watts still fine, also i would go with elemental designs subs they are very clean and will do the job and not too expensive... no capacitor needed + higher chance of burning your alternator w. a capacitor

Last edited by skokkosis; 09-13-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:16 PM

'03 E320
hey skokkokis, its the 03 without the harman kardon, and no it didnt have command navi, it only had the cd player with tape function,,, I'm going to a shop right now that has boston acoustics stuff... i wanna hear the SPG555SS subwooferss...

this project to me is a one time purchase that i'll be traveling with from car to car... thats why im buying a couple of extra toys here & there...

how do HD tuners work??? I can get HD programming via satellite u mean?? I've got a pretty high resolution monitor for the head unit as well as for the headrests... I thought about an ATSC digital tuner but wouldnt know how I would be receiving the signal... via the air for free???

cheers

& I really appreciate all your answer guys thanks a million!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 PM

satellite is NOT free u need to get a monthly plan with them, but you can try it out for a few months free, but... the actual tuner to buy aftermarket if not in your car i believe is in the 200-300 range, but as for HD its free aside of the tuner its amazingly clear (i though HD radio was bs until i heard it) i want to add it as well, but idk how to attatch it to the 04's headunit i think its not possible (unless i just swap the antennas signals, but idk yet about that for me) and do what you want, i agree its what bass and audio you want, not us, ull be waking up on those annoying mornings to work and enjoying it not us lol
Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM

'03 E320
i looked into HD radio, but there are no modules being made for my head unit & so I'd have to get an external HD radio unit that wires in or via FM Transmit sends the signal to my unit... too big a hassle...

so I've finally ordered ALL parts & awaiting arrival... once that happens... I'll start dissecting the car... in the mean time I need to look for wiring diagrams for this car... hmmmmm any sources anyone??
Old 09-16-2009, 04:12 AM

'03 E320
ok so a few hours on the net & still nothing on the 2003 e320 in terms of electrical systems or wiring diagrams... the only thing I can think of is ebay's MERCEDES DVD MANUALS... does anyone have any experience with these or know of any place i can get wiring diagrams by any chance??
Old 09-16-2009, 04:14 AM

'03 E320
& I've looked into Chilton's & Haynes Reference manuals & still nothing!! i even went to the central library here and nothing! why is this car such a ghost?!?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 AM

06 E55 Blaq on Blaq
for me to guide you i need to know is your 03 model with or without harman kardon? second do you have the command navi? if not then i agree with the new radio swap

skokkosis,
I am the PROUD new owner of an '06 E55 AMG with Command Navi but without bluetooth. Why do you not recommend swapping out the head unit? I would REALLY like to upgrade the look of my interior with a more modern and multimedia diverse HU. I'm by no means a "baller" though and don't want to break the bank or end up on "Divorce Court".
Thank you very much and please forgive me for hijacking this thread.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:47 PM

geda he does not have the HK system or navi and petrovski just work on it w. the flow thats what i did slowly until you complete everything the speakers and sub are simple (if u need help on that i can help) and as for everything else the headunit is just a matter of patience, everything is best to just learn as u work
Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 PM

its just imo it does not look stock thats all and besides unless you are looking for more out of the headunit than why do it? just my opinion ive changed it all but my headunit
Old 09-16-2009, 02:34 PM

'03 E320
OKKK,,, soooo since its sooo impossible to find these darned wiring diagrams,, I bought every single manual/software/dvd available.... 3 different packages from 3 different sites,,, I wanna get this project done properly,, these packages are supposed to be all inclusive, not just electricall,,, with practically every model mercedes has made...

back to the project,,, at least now I'll be able to work on my car PROPERLY without cracking the panels or whatever,,, now I just have to sit & relax & wait for everything to arrive,,, will keep u guys posted,,, lots of pics to come!!

Last edited by petrovski; 09-16-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM

'03 E320
i think you're right skokkokis,, stock ALWAYS looks the best,, with that said things always seem harder than they are but patience is king in projects like these,,

skokkokis, have you replaced your stock speakers & sub??? if so, what kind of speakers did you get to fit in the front??? 1.5" depth and I've looked high and low, crutchfield, ebay, local stores to no avail.... :-S

thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 PM

i took out the subwoofer from car completely (this was done for two reasons, first off i wanted the bass to escape from my trunk into the cabin making the bass lighter (so that my trunk doesnt act as an additional enclosure) also i was debating on weather or not to get a new sub in the old ones place, but then i just believed it would be TOO much bass, as for what size i used i have NO idea i did it about a year and a half ago i can't remember what sizes they were i did the speakers on my friends w211 so i cant really say it was on my car but yes i did do both speakers and subs, but speakers on were only on his car (which was an 03' my add) he did not have the HK system so it really was a major dif. to go from the crap they give you to alpine R's, but on my car the HK is amazing and it doesnt get lost in the amount of bass i have in the car (1000 watts per sub) HK may not be as loud as other systems, but it is by far the clearest i have ever heard i would never replace my HK speakers
Old 09-18-2010, 11:03 PM

06_ML350; 04_E320_4M
So, any news here? I know the last post was a year ago, but I had the impression that some DIY and lots of pics will come. Every now and then there is another one with a w211 that apparently has completed such retrofit jobs, but then nobody seems to follow up with the status or the results.

I just completed a retrofit of a Kenwood DNX7120 in my 02_ML320 and I'm so happy I did it ... Now, I decided I'll attempt to retrofit a Kenwood DNX8120 in my 04_E320_4M. The stock HU is an Audio50 w/o nav and no CDChanger, no Bose or other fancy stuff. It is a Harman/Becker 6069. And the same question over and over again: wiring diagram !?! Big void?
The connector at the back of the HU is quite small and is for 3 wires [brown, beige and red/yellow] and 2 other D2B wires. Which wire is what? petrovski, AMGfan, prodigymb, dpavid, any ideea? The beige wire is slightly thinner than the other two. Which one is CAN high and CAN lo?
To have the new DNX8120 work I'll need ground, cont power, swiched power. Switched power will be from the ash tray.
To retain the steering wheel controls I'll need a UNI-CANBUS but how to connect it and to which wire. Which connector did you guys use?
From the UNI-CANBUS to the DNX i'll use theCTKENWOODLEAD universal stalk lead for Kenwood.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
These should help, you will need run speaker wires from the head unit to the speaker connectors on the AGW. There is no input for the AGW so you will need to disconnect the speaker plugs and completely bypass it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Diagrams Use (Colors).pdf (106.8 KB, 948 views)
Legend COMAND.pdf (60.5 KB, 764 views)
Legend RD control unit.pdf (67.8 KB, 712 views)
Wiring Diagram.pdf (116.4 KB, 991 views)
Old 05-16-2015, 10:01 AM

W220 S500
double din

Just did a double din install in my w211 pretty easy install there is all kinds of YouTube video how to D

IY