E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

09 Station wagon- passenger seat useless when rear seats down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 E350 Wagon

I spent a frustrating day with my relatively new wagon today. My wife and I discovered a disturbing "feature" last week. When the rear seats are folded (maybe the same with the E sedan?), the front seats automatically move forward to clear the folding seats. The driver's seat can then be relocated manually or using memory -- but the passenger seat stays in its severely forward and upright position!! My 5'7" wife did not enjoy the ride.

Ok, went to the dealer-- this is a safety feature... but nobody could explain why or how. I'm a reasonable person, but the passenger seat is essentially useless if you're transporting anything! The dealer CSR was useless, and I suspect if management knew he gave me an 800# to call instead of kicking it to management, they'd rightfully discipline him.

Long story short, long conversations, with 800# CSR people explain it locks out ALL rearward movement because contact with the folded seat can confuse the airbag weight sensor in the lower cushion. Ok. Now we have a reason. She said this had apparently come up many times before. I am surprised MB has not come up with a practical solution -- am I the only (of the few) station wagon buyer who actually folds the seats and puts stuff in the back???

However, Ms Senior 800# CSR did not have an answer when I told her the rear seat cushion can be removed, allowing for many inches more clearance into which the seat could, but cannot be, moved rearward. Hmmm - is it that they are just to cheap/stupid to put a second sensor in?

My purpose for this email is twofold...
- has anyone else run into this and is it a sedan issue, too?
- to whom/where can I write to explain and show this stupidity to effect change?

I was really PO'd earlier. The dealer didn't really have a workaround for the seatback, and MB Customer Help was completely useless. I was looking at an MB coupe for the wife when waiting at the dealer earlier today. Now, perhaps not.

I suppose if I figured one out I would say so, wouldn't I? Well, perhaps not in public.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4Matic
If the car was designed like that (not saying that the design is good or bad) and there is no workaround then why are you mad at the dealer or the CSR. It is what it is, that is just how the car was designed.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 PM

09 E350 Wagon
It doesn't make it right. I give engineers at MB credit that they would not design a vehicle that would eliminate the use of the passenger seat when the rear seats are folded down. It is illogical to do so.

If you read my message you will note that the removal of the rear seat cushions, when folded, removes the obstacle that impacts the front lower cushion contact concern.

Therefore, the front seat could be moved rearward safely. I'd like Mercedes to know this.

Meanwhile, I have figured out how to defeat this improperly designed lockout, and by removing the rear cushion the safety is intact.

In my world I look for solutions, I don't just accept "That's the way it is."

Maybe that's why I can afford expensive German cars. ;-)

Last edited by BASSALE; 09-18-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:23 PM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
I have two w211 wagons, an 04 and an 09. This issue is not a problem. But we're a bit shorter and my wife likes the seat way forward. Try not putting down the rear seat on thepassenger side -- it splits 1/3 - 2/3. The move the front passenger seat back and then see if you can lower the rear seat 1/3 enough to be usable.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM

09 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by weinschela
I have two w211 wagons, an 04 and an 09. This issue is not a problem. But we're a bit shorter and my wife likes the seat way forward. Try not putting down the rear seat on thepassenger side -- it splits 1/3 - 2/3. The move the front passenger seat back and then see if you can lower the rear seat 1/3 enough to be usable.
The 2/3 side cannot be folded first as the cargo cover mechanism is attached to that side; it prevents one from folding the passenger side seat. When the rear seat is folded the front seatback is essentially perpendicular to the seat cushion, making it very uncomfortable for my wife. I'm surprised your wife, regardless of height, finds this radically upright position acceptable.

I examined the mechanism and determined the seat control lockout is signaled by the rear seatback latch. My solution was finding an L-shaped piece of roundbar (see the latch for a hint at the size) the right size to insert into the seatback lock. It makes the Merc think the seat is not folded and returns full control to the front passenger seat.

In order to maintain the passenger seat air bag weight sensor's accuracy I remove the rear seat lower cushion; there is a lever on the back to release it as documented in the owners manual. We take care to avoid contact with the folded rear seat when adjusting the front seat so the sensor is not affected and the safety feature is intact.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:07 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
The cargo cover is removable. Move it sideways to release it.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 PM

09 E350 Wagon
Thanks, but I use it and the screen and would rather not have to do so as frequently as I need to fold the seats. My hack is a simpler and effective fix.

Trending Topics

Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 AM

E350 4Matic
The Master Fix...

Thanks BASSALE for the post and the proposed fix;

We had the same problem with a 2007 E350 Sedan, found something that is typically easy to find as the great tool to us as the fix.

Simple pad lock, we used the dial combination variety, or what we called by brand name Master Lock. We were able to pick up at a dollar store... Popped it in the slot, "Bingo"

So if you run into the situation,

Can't move the front passanger seat of a E350 when the seat are folded down

A simple pad lock is a great tool for the job...
Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by cbearsch
Thanks BASSALE for the post and the proposed fix;

We had the same problem with a 2007 E350 Sedan, found something that is typically easy to find as the great tool to us as the fix.

Simple pad lock, we used the dial combination variety, or what we called by brand name Master Lock. We were able to pick up at a dollar store... Popped it in the slot, "Bingo"

So if you run into the situation,

Can't move the front passanger seat of a E350 when the seat are folded down

A simple pad lock is a great tool for the job...
There was another post on this topic where someone said you could defeat this "feature" by pressing in the tab on the rear seatback lock mechanism with a screw driver. I actually found that you could do this by just sticking your finger into the rear seatback lock mechanism and moving the tab. This enables you to adjust the front passenger seat as normal.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by JimPurdy
The cargo cover is removable. Move it sideways to release it.
Do you mean the entire rollup shade can be removed so that the 2/3 side can then be folded down while leaving the 1/3 portion useable by one rear seat passenger?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by BASSALE
My solution was finding an L-shaped piece of roundbar (see the latch for a hint at the size) the right size to insert into the seatback lock. It makes the Merc think the seat is not folded and returns full control to the front passenger seat.
Here's something that might work to stick in the slot as well (called a "carabiner"). I found this on Amazon. You could probably find it at a sporting goods supply or a West Marine as well.
Attached Thumbnails 09 Station wagon- passenger seat useless when rear seats down-carabiner.jpg  
Old 02-01-2010, 03:43 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Do you mean the entire rollup shade can be removed so that the 2/3 side can then be folded down while leaving the 1/3 portion useable by one rear seat passenger?
Yes, the entire rollup shade can be removed. The shade slides towards the passenger side and then can be lifted away from the 2/3 seatback.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 AM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by JimPurdy
Yes, the entire rollup shade can be removed. The shade slides towards the passenger side and then can be lifted away from the 2/3 seatback.
Wow! You learn something new all the time on this forum. I thought it was just another bad design feature -- so that you could never fold down the left 2/3 side and still have someone sit on the right 1/3 side of the rear.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 AM

e220CDI
I have a manually adjustable passenger seat on my '07 and it doesn't move anywhere when folding rear seats.

Good info on the cargo cover, thanks! Never even tried to remove it.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM

2007 E350 wagon

We have the same problem with our 2007 E350 wagon.
Basically what I do is lower the back seat and backrest. I use my finger to move the catch in the square hole on the backrest until I hear the beep. It's the same beep you hear when the backrest is locked properly. Once you hear the beep you can adjust the front passenger seat as desired. Don't use your finger in the hole to unlock the catch. Use the lever on the backrest. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by pk1327
We have the same problem with our 2007 E350 wagon.
Basically what I do is lower the back seat and backrest. I use my finger to move the catch in the square hole on the backrest until I hear the beep. It's the same beep you hear when the backrest is locked properly. Once you hear the beep you can adjust the front passenger seat as desired. Don't use your finger in the hole to unlock the catch. Use the lever on the backrest. Hope this helps.
I went to the local hardware store and bought a metal snap hook that is about 3 inches long. You can just stick in the backrest until it locks in place. This cost me $2.49 and my wife can do it very easily. Using your finger takes a little know-how.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 AM

98 C43
Yes I have a sedan and when I click the lever to drop the rear seat the front seats move up and the passenger seat win't come back.
Dealer says that's the way it is.

Here is my fix.
Just before I hit the lever I open the passenger door and move the seat back a few inches. Then I hit the drop seat lever and run to the front door seat controls and touch any button and the passenger seat will stop. You can't move it back anymore but at least it is a good position for a normal sized person.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:40 PM

BMW 550I 2009- MB E350 4Matic Wagon 2011
Fixed the problem

I just purchased a new 2011 E350 4matic Wagon , just delivered by the car carrier, and I encounter the same problem with the front passenger seat.
I purchased this car for my dogs and I have to have the split seats so they can move back and forth , contacted the Dealer Service Dept. in Manhattan Beach, CA and they told me to bring the car today, a very nice gentelman took the car connected it to a laptop and 15 minutes later had the whole problem solved, he had to reprogram something and now the front passenger seat's back can recline and also can it be programed into the seat memory.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
I just purchased a new 2011 E350 4matic Wagon
Are you happy with the Wagon overall...?

Been eyeballing a new Wagon, but found out they won't import the 550 to the US, only the 350 and the AMG...?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by NorseWagon
Are you happy with the Wagon overall...?

Been eyeballing a new Wagon, but found out they won't import the 550 to the US, only the 350 and the AMG...?

I really like it a lot, I wanted a E550 but also American taste ( or NO taste ) doesn't like station wagons.

Had BMW 535 Wagon, Audi Allroad, Volvo's of any kind, wagon that is , and by far this one is the best one of all.
Just get it with Option 2, Sport Package, Wheel Package at least and you'll be very happy.

Good Luck !!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:34 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Just get it with Option 2, Sport Package, Wheel Package at least and you'll be very happy.
Thanks for the advice, but all the packages and Options still won't get me past the 268 HP..

Bought my 2004 E-500 Wagon last year for $50K less than sticker price and just love the V-8 @ 300+ HP..
Not sure I could shell out $40K more for less power even if the 2011 Wagon is state of the art and has the new car smell and all that.

On the other hand, the 350 with 2-Matic may be lighter and just as peppy as my old E-500 4-matic.

Any numbers on 0 to 60 or 1/4 mile for the above cars....?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 AM

No idea about the 1/4 mile numbers

regarding the HP, 286 is fine for me and my dogs, I wouldn't want or need anymore HP .
Had Porsche 911S, Ferrari 360 Modena, and in this town where I live ( small beach town ) there is a stop sign in every street and where there is not a stop sign there is a cop, and if I get on the highway it is a parking lot anyway, couldn't enjoy either Porsche or Ferrari, so 286 HP is just appropiate.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 AM

2019 E-450 Wagon
couldn't enjoy either Porsche or Ferrari, so 286 HP is just appropiate.
Good for you then.

I drive frequently between Miami and Fort lauderdale (30 miles) on I-95
and have gotten used to the pull of the V-8.
Would miss it I for sure if I bought a new car with a lesser engine.
On the other hand, don't have $100K to spend on a 2011 AMG Wagon.

Wonder if they sell E-550 Wagons in Canada..?

As for the topic of the thread: Folding rear seats cramps the front passenger seat: Only done it a few times and without a passenger so there was never a problem, but had expected a better desgin from MB.

My dog rides in the aft cargo area with the rear seats up anywas, he does not seem to mind..
Old 07-21-2010, 12:12 PM

NorseWagon,

check this article , pretty interesting.
http://blogs.automobilemag.com/66552...gon/index.html
Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
check this article , pretty interesting.
Too bad, no more Wagons in the US.

I like 'em for sure.
Had several Wagons as well as full size SUVs and every other car and truck known to mankind.

My dog likes me because I like Wagons and we go to the doggie park almost every day.
Too much of a jump for old dogs into an SUV, but the Wagon, whether Volvo, Taurus or Benz is just perfect.

When Americans grow up they will get into Wagons as well....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 09 Station wagon- passenger seat useless when rear seats down