E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Track Vehicle for delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Track Vehicle for delivery

Any way to track ( assuming one has the VIN) the vehicle after the ride across the pond?

Dealer says it arrived in VPC on 2-22 was slated for delivery here in Texas yesterday, but now he claims it was not on the truck and they have no idea where it is

Seems they gotta be able to know where a $65K piece of inventory is... FEDEX can...

As a follow-up question- How many miles would you accept on the car on delivery? 10? 100? We had a Lexus that came in at 550... I was sooooo mad almost walked. Wife insisted we accept. Well it was her SC400... I swear they got it and drove it a bit first.....They claimed it had to be driven in from another city...

Just sittin here frustrated waiting... I even hate lines....

Ok Ok I am getting impatient I know! LOL

Last edited by marksatex; 03-01-2003 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your new car turns up soon! I've been there and done that, so I totally know the feeling and how frustrating the wait is!

I got my car with 42 miles on it. They drove it from another dealer for me, and I was just happy to get it. It might be useful for you to have something in mind that you want in case any number of things (like mileage, but in my case, chromed sport wheels instead of nonchrome and Continental tires instead of Michelin) might happen in your delivery process. They offered me something for my inconvenience, and I dumbly declined because I couldn't think of anything.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Almost a Member!

'01 E55 '99 ML430 '96 C4 Cab
500 miles sounds like a lot. Both of my 911's came with 42 miles on them. Both of my MB's had less than 50 on them. I don't believe that they transported a SC 400 by driving it 500 miles. I would not drive one of my cars for the first 500 miles on the highway at a nearly constant speed and at nearly constant RPM's. That is not, IMO, an appropriate way to break in an engine. I did a Porsche transaction with a dealer 150 miles away and the cars were transported both ways. The transport was not expensive.
I find it hard to believe that the dealer cannot tell you exactly where you car is. I followed a Jeep from order, through its' manufacture, until delivery. At every stage of the process I knew where the car was. Once a car is ordered and the order accepted by the factory, the dealership gets a printout with the cars progress. The problem is when they feed you a line that is not quite truthful and something unexpected happens. I don't believe that the car was at the VPC, then loaded onto a transporter, and now its' whereabouts unknown.
rich
Old 03-02-2003, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Agreed, 500 miles is a lot for a brand new car. My E500 was delivered yesterday with only 12 kilometers.

I know for a fact that Porsche does subject their cars to a test drive at the Stuttgart factory. Anything less than 50 kilometers on the odometer would be reasonable IMO.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:56 AM
Almost a Member!

True. The Porsches are road tested prior to being shipped. On arrival they are dynoed (not sure if this word exists) in Charleston. There is a used CL500 for sale in Richmond that has less than 500 miles on it (486). That lexus with 550 miles may have been for a lot of test drives.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the pleasure of taking a tour at the Porsche factory a few years ago. Turns out they drive the cars out the front gate, around town, and back to the factory. Perhaps I'll look onto moonlighting next time I'm in Germany.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Here's a first class vehicle tracking system, from Audi. I'm #2 on the dealer's list for an RS6. If I order one, Audi sets up a web page for my car so that I can track it's progress through its' manufacture and transport. There will even be webcams so that I can watch its' production!
RIch
'01 E55
'99 ML 430
'96 993 C4 Cab
Old 03-03-2003, 01:28 PM

Awesome system. Actually my dealer just called and said car arrived this morning and will be ready for delivery noon Tuesday.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:29 PM

New car mileage numbers

The best I ever had was a 1997 Toyota Supra Turbo, picked up with 7 miles... I still have fond memories of that car. It was great... no problems ever.

The worst was my current 2000 Audi A6 2.7T which came into the dealer at 125 miles... I was a little irritated but took it anyway. They drove it from Sacramento to the bay area rather than put it on a flat bed truck... In retrospect, I probably should have told them to keep it. It was either abused on that trip by the idiot ferry driver... or it was a solid lemon built on a Monday morning during Oktoberfest. Within the first 2000 miles, it had to go into the shop for almost a month to track down a clicking sound, which finally resulted in their pulling the engine and retorquing everything. I won't even begin going through all the problems with that car... but that is the car that I want to desparately replace with a new E500 this summer.

So from personal experience, this might sound stupid or extreme, but if I order a car and it has more than 50 miles on it (you need to allow them some for basic road checks, etc...) I'd tell them to get me another one and to be more careful the second time around...

-NavNut
Old 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM

Got a peek at the new ride tonite. She has 10.6 miles showing and exactly as ordered. Dealer was prompt in offering to document the $1000 discount he had agreed to as well as a full tank of fuel.

Car still had the wrappings on her, and interior was also covered. Salesmam told me to expect 5-10 more miles for inspection.

I was a bit apprehensive of the Black/Charcoal with Spt Package and birdseye maple, but in all it comes together very elegantly and sporty in the same breath.

The tires look HUGE. 245/45 17 H rated Continental Contitouring

Salesman is not hot on the mudflap idea. we seal the deal on her tommorrow at noon. By luck I sold the wife's Lexus SC400 today for the price I asked for.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:35 PM

Hey, what color exterior? I really like the charcoal black leather interior and likewise, was concerned about the black birdseye maple fading into obscurity... but I was also thinking about the Platinum Blue for the exterior... I think it's really pretty... but it's also a special order for the Black interior... wondering why... I think it's a natural combo to have a light exterior and black interior...

-NavNut
Old 03-03-2003, 08:54 PM

Obsidian Black