E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Disc brake replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E320, W209 CLK 200K
Disc brake replacement

Hello people I was just wondering when i need to change my disc brakes. My car is 2003 model and i have only done 35,000KMs/21,700Miles. I just want to upgrade my standard ones to DBA slotted ones . Being cheap, if my disc brakes need to be replaced soon then i might as well wait.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by HE22WA
Hello people I was just wondering when i need to change my disc brakes. My car is 2003 model and i have only done 35,000KMs/21,700Miles. I just want to upgrade my standard ones to DBA slotted ones . Being cheap, if my disc brakes need to be replaced soon then i might as well wait.
The simple answer is replace pads when they reach the wear limits or you get the + in the FSS.

Now I suppose you want to know the limits.

MY E series Wear limits Front Pads .226 Rotors 1.000

I think you will find the FSS will indicate change much sooner than the MB min they specify. So for me I drive longer than the + and inspect the pads vs. MB spec.

Now you want to be cheap, do the job yourself and USE OEM MB parts from an online supplier. You can replace the pads and sensors for about $80.

BUT

If you want jazzy after market you are on your own but DON'T expect to be cheap. Good parts will cost you in after market. The cheapest way for brakes IMO is OEM MB parts for the least amount of rework, trouble and cost.

For batteries you might find replacements that meet the OEM specs a bit cheaper than OEM but I use OEM for my work.

Somehow Cheap and Mercedes doesn't seem to fit in the same sentence,, oops I just made one.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E320, W209 CLK 200K
the vettdvr but i was referring to the disc/rotor brakes not the pads . but thanks heaps anyway.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Wait until you need pads and then change out the rotors too. The rotors could very possibly be worn down enough to replace by then.

Also, periodically check the rear pads as only the passenger side pads have a sensor. On my car, the driver's side rear pads wore down so much they started to score the rotor -- I wasn't too upset because I was already planning to replace the rotors with the pads when the time came. Besides the braking system commanding, when the wipers are on, the rear brakes are also commanded to "drag" a little to keep the rotor dry for better braking.

Regards,
paul...
Old 10-28-2009, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
the vettdvr but i was referring to the disc/rotor brakes not the pads . but thanks heaps anyway.
MY E series Wear limits Front Pads .226 Rotors 1.000 Perhaps I was a bit mistaken,, but Rotors 1.000 is the thickness of a new rotor with about .050 maximum wear limit. That would be the numbers you use to evaluate a disc/rotor.

But if you want to buy the slotted you will buy pads at the same time. Try Bremo they usually produce a good product at a fair price for the quality.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
With my experiences with BMWs and MBs, the ventilated rotors generally last upto 2 sets of pads. The brake pads wear out at between 25k and 35k mi, assuming you do normal day to day driving (city/hwy combined). If your rear rotors are single solid like my 2004 E500, you should replace the rear rotors as well since the single solid is thinner (total thickness) than the ventilated rotor and generally lasts one set of pads. In any case, you should keep an eye on the thickness of the rotor making sure the thickness does not drop below the minimum. The dealers always recommend to change the rotors when changing pads cause they could get more money.