E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Class action lawsuit (Nav)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 03:03 AM
jhb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
We have the SL500 with COMAND. It seems pretty good. I agree that it takes getting a while to learn. But I find it quite good and fun. We especially like failing to take a turn and hearing that undoubtedly beautiful woman saying "Please make the next U-turn"

Jeff
Old 04-26-2003, 02:03 PM

E500
I paid $68K, + tint + xenon lights(got from Europe) and I paid $1625 deposit for nav. Now, $2000 refund? What kind of bulls** is that? Many of us bought the car with intention of having a navigation system. They want to tell me there is no way of retrofiting the system??bs. I am sure the shareholders will be satisfied when we start winning lawsuits.
Someone email this tread to MB's factory. Enough is enough!
Old 04-26-2003, 03:45 PM

e500
what do you mean retrofit? you mean we cant get the nav anymore? then i dont want my car
Old 04-26-2003, 03:59 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Read the letter. There are 2 options.

Dear E-Class Owner,
We are contacting you regarding your 2003 E-Class and the availability of the COMAND navigation system. As you may know, certain 2003 E-Class cars were factory pre-wired for the COMAND system and we originally planned to offer this
system for later retrofit. We have since recently determined that a retrofit solution is currently not feasible.

We understand that you have been waiting for release of the COMAND system and we appreciate your patience.

Since you have pre-paid for this system as part of the purchase/lease of your vehicle and we would like to offer to you,
in full resolution of any concerns regarding our inability to provide a retrofit navigation system, one of the following compensation options:
Option 1 $2,000 cash reimbursement, or
Option 2 Exchange your current 2003 E Class vehicle for a new 2003 E-Class with COMAND (same paint, upholstery and optional equipment level as your current vehicle)

We are making this offer to owners of 2003 E-Class models who have paid $1,625 in advance for the COMAND system.
Option 2 will require ordering of a specific 2003 vehicle, which may involve a several month waiting period. There are some limitations and your 2003 vehicle provided in exchange must be operational and in at least average condition for
its age and mileage, reasonable wear and tear excepted. Your authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer will provide you with full details on this offer.

Sincerely,
Bernhard Glaser
General Manager
Product Management / Passenger Cars

Karen Makris
Department Manager
Product Management E- & S-Class"
Old 04-27-2003, 04:08 PM

sounds like you are a lawyer for Mercedes.

Originally posted by jhb
First, this is not a "class action" type of thing. The folks affected are all ascertainable and, I dare say, able to obtain suitable representation, if necessary, individually.

Second, I find it sad, but a commentary on our culture at present, that everyone is thinking about litigation as the first means of resolution of disputes. Maybe it was better when dueling was the choice of true gentlemen. That would separate the crowd, wouldn't it?

Remember when people were forgiving of each other and each other's mistakes and tried to work things out before yelling and suing? I think I liked the meaning of "civility" in that time more than whatever it is taken to mean now. I learned that forgiving sets me free and not forgiving keeps me trapped in a very real way. Try it, you can really breathe easier if you forgive someone, some company, etc.

MB's recalcitrance creates this kind of emotional reaction as they do little to sooth or inform on this delay and uncertainty. Sadly, that is indicative of the times as well. In this age of "customer service" being truly an oxymoron, the interest in "productivity" and cost reduction means more than customer satisfaction and relationships.

MB and other manufacturers didn't create that problem and are forced to be part of it by today's "principles of modern management". Besides, they are in a no win situation on this. They apparently truly do not know when the issue will be resolved. So, that is what MBUSA and other sources of information from MB tell us. We are understandably unhappy with that, but I prefer that they tell me that truth to them providing a "made up" time frame.

So, let's accept the reality and do some "class action" ourselves and be a little more patient and forgiving!!! Oh, and let's pledge in our own businesses and lives to remember to care and be responsive to what our customers/clients/friends/family/acquaintances think and feel about their experiences with us.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2003, 07:24 PM

That is an unfair insult

Jeff is a voice of reason amongst heightened tension and anger over the way MB has handled the Nav fiasco. To quote him out of context almost two months down the road is neither smart nor relevant.

I am a person without Nav in my new E500 and I am angrier than most over the way this has been handled by Mercedes, but I have never, ever thought of jhb as someone who works for Mercedes. Even if you were being sarcastic, your comment is out of line.

Last edited by monakh; 04-27-2003 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:58 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by shortbear
sounds like you are a lawyer for Mercedes.
It sounds like you are a moron.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:03 PM

e500
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahah
Old 04-27-2003, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
ok, i dont know whats wrong with everyone, but it seems like everyone is getting mad, and laughing at eachother for no reason, why dont we just see what happens with the NAV info due tommarow