E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Class action lawsuit (Nav)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Class action lawsuit (Nav)

I think we should all get together and file a class action lawsuit for breach of contract. I want my Nav now or they should give us the damn thing free just to keep us satisfied.
Any lawyers on line? Advice?

We should compain together. Obvously, they are not hearing us.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:40 AM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
First, this is not a "class action" type of thing. The folks affected are all ascertainable and, I dare say, able to obtain suitable representation, if necessary, individually.

Second, I find it sad, but a commentary on our culture at present, that everyone is thinking about litigation as the first means of resolution of disputes. Maybe it was better when dueling was the choice of true gentlemen. That would separate the crowd, wouldn't it?

Remember when people were forgiving of each other and each other's mistakes and tried to work things out before yelling and suing? I think I liked the meaning of "civility" in that time more than whatever it is taken to mean now. I learned that forgiving sets me free and not forgiving keeps me trapped in a very real way. Try it, you can really breathe easier if you forgive someone, some company, etc.

MB's recalcitrance creates this kind of emotional reaction as they do little to sooth or inform on this delay and uncertainty. Sadly, that is indicative of the times as well. In this age of "customer service" being truly an oxymoron, the interest in "productivity" and cost reduction means more than customer satisfaction and relationships.

MB and other manufacturers didn't create that problem and are forced to be part of it by today's "principles of modern management". Besides, they are in a no win situation on this. They apparently truly do not know when the issue will be resolved. So, that is what MBUSA and other sources of information from MB tell us. We are understandably unhappy with that, but I prefer that they tell me that truth to them providing a "made up" time frame.

So, let's accept the reality and do some "class action" ourselves and be a little more patient and forgiving!!! Oh, and let's pledge in our own businesses and lives to remember to care and be responsive to what our customers/clients/friends/family/acquaintances think and feel about their experiences with us.

Jeff

Last edited by jhb; 03-05-2003 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:06 AM

AMEN to that, brother.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:55 AM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
I think what is happening is a reaction to the perceived insensitivity of MB. I mean, if they were simply to post a notice (or dare I suggest send drivers a letter) explaining the problem, apologising, and explaining what they are doing to fix this, the angry drivers would no doubt all be mollified and satisfied. Come on, how hard is a bit of honest damage control?
Old 03-05-2003, 07:59 AM

2003 MB E500
I agree. I think the anger and frustration is more a result of MB ignoring us and avoiding the issue than of the delay that may be out of their control. It would help big time if MB would just say something, anything. Just say they are sorry for the delay and will do everything they can to make it right for us their valued customers! At least they better consider us valued customers.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Almost a Member!

Well to me the issue is that is a case of gross incompetence on MB's part. They had no problem taking my money in october '02 and telling me I'd have nave march/april '03, basically only 4-5 months out. I just don't see how things could have screwed up so badly in such a short timeframe.

I'm in the software business which tends to be one of the more inexact engineering disciplines with respect to implementation forecasts, but still in october I have pretty high confidence as to what is going to be delivered 4-5 months out.

In other industries that are similar to auto electronics, planning horizon is even longer. Cell phone handset manufacturers have over a year product cycle for their products in the pipeline and they hit at a pretty exact time.

So, it just offends the engineer in me that they'd take my money in october and in feb come to the conclusion they can't deliver. Just doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:00 AM

2003 MB E500
It's hard to understand why MB is having such a difficult time with their DVD-Nav. It's hardly cutting edge anymore. Many low end cars offer it. As long as it takes to redeign a car, there is no reason it should not have been ready for the launch, let alone 6 months later! And then to add salt in the wound by not issuing any status report is why this is upsetting.

However as Jeff stated, otherwise it is a wonderful car and I must keep reminding myself that I do love it even without the Nav. I'd just love it more with it!

Last edited by rayscar; 03-05-2003 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:23 AM

JHB for President!

Old 03-05-2003, 12:39 PM

SL500
This may have been asked before but.... When you guys gave your dealership a check for the nav, was it officially available from MB with delayed availability? Was it just the dealerships being greedy and assuming something was coming out and could be retrofited? Did MB officially require a check for eligibility to have the nav retrofited or is this a dealer scam? Is MB taking the attitude that it will eventually be available but since it wasn't when you bought your car tough luck?

Something smells very fishy here, either MB guaranteed a nav would be available and could be retrofited or they did not. If they guaranteed it and it doesn't happen, they will be forced to, at the least, return your money.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:16 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by MBZman
This may have been asked before but.... When you guys gave your dealership a check for the nav, was it officially available from MB with delayed availability? Was it just the dealerships being greedy and assuming something was coming out and could be retrofited? Did MB officially require a check for eligibility to have the nav retrofited or is this a dealer scam? Is MB taking the attitude that it will eventually be available but since it wasn't when you bought your car tough luck?

Something smells very fishy here, either MB guaranteed a nav would be available and could be retrofited or they did not. If they guaranteed it and it doesn't happen, they will be forced to, at the least, return your money.
We prepaid $1,625 for the Nav system. Since this is a discount and at least on my order it says installed, I doubt the dealers would voluntarily give a discount and include installation unless it was an MB program.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:28 PM

E500
For Christ's sake even, 2003 Honda Accord now comes with voice recognition navigation system, & the car is priced under $30,000
Old 03-05-2003, 04:30 PM

E500
Talking

I mean come on, look how much emotional disress it has caused to all of us. I can't even sleep at nights
Old 03-05-2003, 04:46 PM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
I think we have to take a rational view of the reason for the delayed nav. I doubt it has anything to do with the functionality of the nav, so the argument that it is available in much lesser cars (e.g. Accord) is not valid.

Rather, I think, if we are to give MB benefit of the doubt, it has to do with its interaction with the myriad other electronic options that can be stuffed into this car....remember, MB has to make it work with any and every combination of options.

Now if they would simply communicate this to their custoemrs.....
Old 03-05-2003, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by dtm
I think we have to take a rational view of the reason for the delayed nav. I doubt it has anything to do with the functionality of the nav, so the argument that it is available in much lesser cars (e.g. Accord) is not valid.

Rather, I think, if we are to give MB benefit of the doubt, it has to do with its interaction with the myriad other electronic options that can be stuffed into this car....remember, MB has to make it work with any and every combination of options.

Now if they would simply communicate this to their custoemrs.....
I think we can all accept whatever the reason is for the delay/not available situation. What we find totally unacceptable is NO communication from MBUSA. The only information we have if you go back and look at it is from people who have no more clue than we do and are guessing. They are either just flapping their lips or trying to put a good spin on it.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:47 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by thug_law
I mean come on, look how much emotional disress it has caused to all of us. I can't even sleep at nights
I have not lost much sleep, but I do have STRESS from the lack of the Command navigation. Navi has been on my last 3 MBs (MBs version on the last and Alpine aftermarket on the others). It has been a blessing, and a stress reducer. My geographic area of travel often has street signs too small to read from the road or they are missing, road signs spaced so far apart (miles) that if I missed one I might drive 10 miles back and forth to find a destination, locals at gas stations who often cannot tell me with a map where streets might be after I have made a wrong turn due to poor sinage and cannot figure out how to return. Hence, more often than not a map is not helpful. Getting lost is stressful, and I have a poor sense of direction. To me navi is not a toy or gadget, but a key car component.

The lack of navi in this E320 is a major setback to my enjoyment of the car. I was willing to wait a few months for delivery. I wanted the dvd version. Now, according to the Munich factory reps, there may not be a navi this year.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:51 PM

Nissan Sentra
The system on the Honda Accord is the best on the market. MB's DVD based system is pretty weak, in fact it is the worst system I have used. Its a shame they are making you wait for such a second rate product. Hardly worth the effort in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:18 PM

Ooooo... now there you go! I didn't even think of that... Maybe I'll go all nutty and get an Accord with nav AND LEATHER!!!

(I don't mean to be sarcastic in an annoying way... but the Accord just doesn't float my boat...)

-NavNut... but not that nutty...
Old 03-05-2003, 11:41 PM

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
The whole delayed availability thing was definitely official from the factory. The dealers even got a letter from MBUSA outlining the retrofit and discount (you can find a copy of it on this forum or on Autospies).
Old 03-06-2003, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by 99ML430
The system on the Honda Accord is the best on the market. MB's DVD based system is pretty weak, in fact it is the worst system I have used. Its a shame they are making you wait for such a second rate product. Hardly worth the effort in my opinion.
Sorry to say this but youre right the ML's Navi system looked like something i would write when i was starting to play with Tck/Tk widgets. Keep in mind, however, that that was the MSC system.
This, on the other hand, is COMAND. If you see some of the pics i put up here, you will come to realize very quickly that this is not on the same level with MCS DVD Navi.

Just FYI.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Link to Pics
Old 03-06-2003, 01:50 AM

2013 S550
Predictions

My predictions:

1. DVD based COMAND II modules will begin retrofitting in May 2002

2. The system will be pretty neat (i.e., neat as in logical and orderly, not necessarily in avant-garde technology)

3. It will incorporate real-time re-routing in major metropolitan areas

4. MB will never acknowledge the lateness or give any other perks other than the $500 pre-paid discount

5. Once we get it, we'll wonder how we lived without it

6. Folks buying the '04s will wonder what all the fuss is about

7. You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd

Call my 900 number at $2.99/minute for updates.

Old 03-06-2003, 10:10 AM

Nissan Sentra
Originally posted by Silver_Lana
Sorry to say this but youre right the ML's Navi system looked like something i would write when i was starting to play with Tck/Tk widgets. Keep in mind, however, that that was the MSC system.
This, on the other hand, is COMAND. If you see some of the pics i put up here, you will come to realize very quickly that this is not on the same level with MCS DVD Navi.

Just FYI.
I hear you, but in all honesty I've used that system in an SL500 and its just not that good. I use the Honda as an example knowing that nobody will ditch their E for an Accord. The fact is that Honda got it all right, touch screen, voice activation, accurate mapping and quick routing. The MB has none of these things when it should have all and more. My wife is so sold out on NAV that she has all but written off getting another MB because tehir system is so poor. I love the car but its not going to be MY car.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by 99ML430
I hear you, but in all honesty I've used that system in an SL500 and its just not that good.
The system in the SL500 is the same one in my Car and its quite good in my opinion. I used to have an ACURA so i miss the touch screen but, the Navi is very useable without it. I also like the integration with the Music sysem as well as the phone system. I can read my SMS messages on the Navi screen, see my caller ID on there as well as just fool around at a stop light.
The New Interface is much better trust me on this and my current Navi is a helluva lot more accurate than my Acura ever was.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:08 PM

Nissan Sentra
I agree that it is better than the old system but still not nearly on par with the best of the systems, namely the Honda unit, even the infiniti system is much better than any German offerings. But we will have to agree to disagree.

It is good to hear that you enjoy it and that it suits your needs. I still contend that the system is a bit of a headache to interact with. But my preferences are all about the ride and drive of the car which I think Mercedes gets all right. NAV is a sore spot for me because my wife makes such a big stink about it. If I had my way it wouldn't even be a consideration.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:47 PM

2007 E350 Sport
thug_law

With class action lawsuits, at the end of the day, the only one that benefits are the lawfirms.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Class action lawsuit (Nav)