E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HELP - newbie needs to identify Xenons/P2 on E350!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320 Cab Designo Slate Blue
HELP - newbie needs to identify Xenons/P2 on E350!

So, I've been scouring the internet looking for 07 and 08 E350's.

Been hoping to find the P2 Package (Xenons, cornering/curb illumination, high pressure headlight cleaners, etc...).

Seems I can easily spot the headlight cleaners - they are easily identifiable by the triangular-shaped outline between the headlights and high-beams.

ASSumed this automatically meant P2 package, but then have read/heard where that is not necessarily the case. I've seen a couple adds and "stickers" (not authentic windows, just lists) that show headlight washers for like $100.

SO, I ask all you veteran enthusiasts out there:
1 - is it true that headlight cleaners can be added separately from P2?
if so:
2 - how can I identify Xenons from "regular" headlights from the front pics of an E350?

A Big THANKS in advance for your help!

-Omaha
Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I think it would be extremely rare to find a halogen-equipped W211 with headlight washing. It would be a piddly option, and I've never seen it described in a sales brochure.

The HID-equipped cars will indeed always have headlight washing, as it's a German (if not EU) requirement (as is automatic headlight leveling--not so sure this gets to USA, however).

It's pretty hard otherwise to identify HID from outside unless of course the lights are on. You can always input the VIN and get a datacard here: http://epc.startekinfo.com Opening the hood, there are lots of dire warning stickers on the back of HID units.

Last edited by lkchris; 11-20-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by lkchris
I think it would be extremely rare to find a halogen-equipped W211 with headlight washing. It would be a piddly option, and I've never seen it described in a sales brochure.

The HID-equipeed cars will indeed always have headlight washing, as it's a German (if not EU) requirement (as is automatic headlight leveling--not so sure this gets to USA, however).

It's pretty hard otherwise to identify HID from outside unless of course the lights are on. You can always input the VIN and get a datacard here: http://epc.startekinfo.com Opening the hood, there are lots of dire warning stickers on the back of HID units.
Actually I saw 07s without BIX but with headlight washers. In reality what you had in that scenario is an Avantgarde version, which came with BIX in Germany, converted to US standards on the line, known as Sport over here, where they still had that system in the car. Those were 06 built version marketed as MY07 for the US. In some cases MBUSA actually listed a $100 price for the washers on the MSRP sticker.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
For those model years that you mention, I usually look at the door handles in pictures. For P2, along with the bi-xenons, it includes KeylessGo as part of the package, therefore, you'll see black rubber tabs on each of the door handles for locking the doors.

Cars with P1 and no bi-xenons still can have the headlight washer.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by IndiumGreyE63
For those model years that you mention, I usually look at the door handles in pictures. For P2, along with the bi-xenons, it includes KeylessGo as part of the package, therefore, you'll see black rubber tabs on each of the door handles for locking the doors.

Cars with P1 and no bi-xenons still can have the headlight washer.
Excellent point! ...and True.

Also for the OP... BIX lights sort of flicker to life like a flourescent bulb would and are blue-ish white. Regular bulbs turn on like.... regular headlights, and are sort of yellow. Side by side the difference is instantly obvious.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the input fellas! As I am trying to do this "remote", I will just have to look for this stuff on pics, or try to get into that site where I can enter the VIN!

You guys ROCK! Thanks for the quick replies!

-Omaha
Old 11-21-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Actually I saw 07s without BIX but with headlight washers. In reality what you had in that scenario is an Avantgarde version, which came with BIX in Germany, converted to US standards on the line, known as Sport over here, where they still had that system in the car. Those were 06 built version marketed as MY07 for the US. In some cases MBUSA actually listed a $100 price for the washers on the MSRP sticker.
Yes, this is what I've seen on a few!

Thanks!

-Omaha
Old 11-21-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris

The HID-equipped cars will indeed always have headlight washing, as it's a German (if not EU) requirement (as is automatic headlight leveling--not so sure this gets to USA, however).

Thanks lkchris, that works AWESOME!

For those interested, once you put in the VIN, go to 82-Electrical System, then 175-Front lighting and it will say under the descriptions if it is Bi-xenon or not (for item 10)!

Thanks a Ton!

-Omaha