E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Newbie looking at the W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by V8OrDeath
Gas is paid for by the company so getting 21 mpg highway or 28 doesn't matter to me.
Ever thought about that gas will be gone one day or is the ego too large? Don't take it personal, just a thought!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Magnum R/T heads/cam/headers
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Yeah, I was actually looking at an 05 S4 at the MB dealer I bought my car from. Besides being small (and the nasty zeneti rims on the car), it was the gas mileage that made me say wtf. lol, an E55 got better mileage than the S4.

Actually my 300 limited was an 05 and came with non-tip 4 speed (I think they added that in 06 or 07). The tranny on my car actually sucked (that's what we get for buying the car the 1st day it comes out ). When I would make a u-turn or really sharp left turn, the car would be stuck as if in neutral for a few seconds (not very safe as you can see). They never could figure it out so called lemon lawyer, he took care of everything. The car was great overall though. Easy maintenance, handled well for a big car, very roomy in the back, the dealer was very good to with service and loaners. But man, the 300C's were sooooo much nicer: premium leather, nicer wood, the v8 power.

Ya, like the other guys are saying if you drive a lot the V8 will really add on the cost of fuel. Back when I bought my car (aug 2007), I calculated the difference between 320 and 500 gas I would have to purchase in a month. The difference was almost $100 per month with the amount of driving I do (a little over 15K miles a year). Ya, the diesels are pricey due to the whole supply / demand thing, so maybe a petrol 320 would be something to look at. Since your getting 4matic you wont get the 7 speed tranny on the 500 that the RWDs do, so no added benefit for highway driving in regards to mpg.
The 5.7L Hemi gets nearly the same highway MPG as the 3.5L V6 because of its ability to shut off four cylinders when at cruising speeds. Of course it has way more power and TQ so if you can swing a HEMI, you should definitely do it. MPG won't be much worse than the V6 because the V6 has to work that much harder to get the 4000 lbs moving.
It would be nice with the 7-speed but the 5-speed is nearly bulletproof and I feel comfortable with that transmission. Powertrain reliability is important to me, much more so than a few electrical gremlins, although those are no fun either. The four-speed you had was the much maligned 42RLE transmission - a RWD versions of Chrysler's old 42LE tranny. I have it in my LHS and never had an issue with it, but it's "known" for slipping and not being very strong. The 5-speed is lightyears ahead of it and as I mentioned, an MB sourced unit. The 5-speeds (distinguishable by the + and - symbols on the selector for the autostick shifting) were available from 2005, but not all trim levels had it. From 07, even with the higher trim levels, only the 4-speed was available on the Touring and Base model 300. Probably to save cost.

Here are a few pics of my Magnum - garage queen. 500 miles on it since major engine work, new rims/tires etc:

--------------
Emailed another three dealers today about their E500s. We shall see.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mackhack
Ever thought about that gas will be gone one day or is the ego too large? Don't take it personal, just a thought!
My best buddy in Europe is paying $9 per gallon. I'll survive if I have to pay every cent myself. I grew up driving absolute pieces of garbage 4-banger cars with zero power. Now that I can, I will get high powered cars until they make it illegal
Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by novae500
??? If you are talking about the 19s that i got....it ran me $1040 for the rims. Tires another $600 from Tirerack and $100 to have Sears install them.
Sorry no I meant OEM rims for the E500 in case I bought a car with rims in bad condition and wanted to replace them.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Just noticed you are from Germany. I'm from Denmark so you know the kind of garbage we have to buy over there because of cost of getting the car itself (200% tax on cars in DK) and the insane cost of fuel. Oh if only we could move the 'Bahn over here.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

Just noticed you are from Germany. I'm from Denmark so you know the kind of garbage we have to buy over there because of cost of getting the car itself (200% tax on cars in DK) and the insane cost of fuel. Oh if only we could move the 'Bahn over here.
I felt the same way (VW Golf 3 in Germany, Ford here) until I got my Benz but still I try to get as much out of the car and don't waste more gas than I really need.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 PM

There's value in that, definitely. Need and want are two different things. Break it down and you could drive a Corolla every day, but you don't, so at a certain point, the line between wants/needs starts to get blurry. Nobody needs a 300-400-500 HP car, yet they sell and people want to get them and enjoy them.

Anyway, this wasn't about mpgs, but rather what a prospective buyer should/could otherwise consider when looking at this very model.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Gas is paid for by the company so getting 21 mpg highway or 28 doesn't matter to me. A good set of winter tires on an RWD is very close to having AWD except for taking off but like I said, I have that already and want something different plus the thought of AWD appeals to me since I have to drive all over the Northeast which sometimes brings me into snow-country in CT and upstate NY during the wintertime.
Nothing like corporate benefits. Go for it
Old 12-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Nothing like corporate benefits. Go for it
Indeed. It's also nice that they don't tell me which car to buy or just get one as a "company car" but rather give me a monthly allowance, pay for the gas and allow me and the other salesmen to do as we please. If I want to get a cheaper car and pocket the difference, I can, and if I want a brand new whatever and fund the balance myself, well, I can do that too! It's nice to have options.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Re-checked the car fax for the one I saw yesterday. It was a "commercial vehicle" and then registered as a taxi in Brooklyn, NY. Uhm... city miles by people who don't give a crap about the car + god knows how many people drove it. Not a fan.
It didn't happen to have 'reposession' indicated above that, did it? Though they are not supposed to, some lenders will sell a vehicle as a commercial vehicle after a reposession so they will get less for the car and can sue the last owner for more $...doesn't mean it was a commerical vehicle though
Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fortlaudsummer
It didn't happen to have 'reposession' indicated above that, did it? Though they are not supposed to, some lenders will sell a vehicle as a commercial vehicle after a reposession so they will get less for the car and can sue the last owner for more $...doesn't mean it was a commerical vehicle though
If that is true, that seems like legal scam of the owning finance company to me.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:35 PM

This is the carfax:

09/30/2004 5 Service Facility Pre-delivery inspection completed
Washed/detailed
02/03/2005 120 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
11/11/2005 9,027 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Elmsford, NY Title issued or updated
Registration issued or renewed
First owner reported
Registered as
corporate vehicle

Passed safety inspection
12/15/2005 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept. Title issued or updated
Loan or lien reported
02/03/2006
Goldens Bridge, NY

Battery/charging system checked
07/21/2006

Vehicle serviced
12/01/2006 29,535 New York
Inspection Station Emissions inspection performed
Passed safety inspection

View what was inspected
05/08/2007 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Elmsford, NY Title issued or updated
Correction to record
Registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported

Passed safety inspection
10/04/2007
Goldens Bridge, NY
914-232-8122
Vehicle serviced
02/22/2008 50,114 Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Dealer Offered for sale as a Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle
Black Exterior
Charcoal Leather Interior
02/28/2008 Dealer Inventory
White Plains, NY Vehicle offered for sale
08/06/2008 52,545 New York
Inspection Station Dealer had vehicle inspected to
prepare it for sale
Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection

View what was inspected
08/07/2008 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Brooklyn, NY Registration issued or renewed
Registered as
personal vehicle
Passed safety inspection
09/08/2008 53,960
Brooklyn, NY

Air suspension checked
Front strut replaced
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Maintenance inspection completed

09/09/2008 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Brooklyn, NY Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Correction to record
Loan or lien reported

Registered as taxi
Registered as commercial vehicle
Passed safety inspection

10/14/2008 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Loan or lien reported

09/01/2009 69,593 New York
Inspection Station Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection

View what was inspected
09/02/2009 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
Passed safety inspection

10/15/2009 70,583 Online Listing Vehicle offered for sale
Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 AM

2006 e350
I can only tell user SolidGranite has been right and get a extended warranty. I got one for about 3200 Dollars and I spend so far 3600. It was worth for me. I will go in one more time to get stuff done before my 24 months/30k Miles are over. I'm not sure if I get another extended warranty since I believe most of the problems I had so far are fixed with new parts. I never had an issue with SBC so I can't confirm vettdvr's post. But I let my extended warranty company pay for the damper that eliminated the rattling/vibrating issue that came from the SBC pump.
Hey guys....not sure if you know this, but my service adviser told me that the SBC is covered for an extended period of time outside of factory warranty (not sure how long but it was a long time). He also stated that the ECU is also similarly covered (I want to say for 8 years or something like that). I have an 06 e350.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Banned

It is true. You can read more here: https://mbworld.org/forums/1595105-post6.html.

But there is more that can go bad on the car. I had to replace the woofer speaker for over 600 USD, Thrust Arm Bushing with ball etc. Center Speaker, Power Lock Driver Side, Windshield Washing System, Roof Rails (came lose from Windshield replacement), Door Speaker Passenger Side, Squeaking noise from Passenger Seat, Changeover Valve, SBC damper and a few other minor things. Nothing bad since everything can break at some point (regardless if it is a MB or American or Asian car) and with extended warranty nothing do be really worried about (in my opinion).

Last edited by Mackhack; 12-12-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nice magnum. idk why they stopped producing those, i thought they were nice
Old 12-12-2009, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Sorry no I meant OEM rims for the E500 in case I bought a car with rims in bad condition and wanted to replace them.
okay. misunderstood you. Just shoot me a PM if you do get an e500 and need OEM sport 17 rims. Stealer slapped on 4 new continentials when i bought it 3k miles ago.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
I'm from Denmark so you know the kind of garbage we have to buy over there because of cost of getting the car itself (200% tax on cars in DK) and the insane cost of fuel.
Amen Bro: I hail from Norway and had my share of 1100 cc Opels and other four-bangers.
Love my E-500 and the gas milage ain't too bad compared to US made made cars. Getting 20 mpg on the highway with some spirited driving and closer to 15 in town. Ex Grand Cherokee got less than that, so did the 305 Firebird Convertible the Chevy Silverdado with a V-6, etc.

Having spent several years of my life driving Mercedes taxi-cabs in Norway I have diesel DNA in my blood and was actually looking for an E-320 Oil burning wagon, but realize MB never shipped even one to this country. (?)

Did check out a diesel sedan, 2007 CDI, lots of power and my first choice for engine, price was right also, but had to get a wagon (smells of "old money" and happy I found the E-500 4matic Wagon.

Next choice would be the 2010 AMG Wagon, (Hungry for more HP) but have to play more lotto and start going to church on a regular basis to even remotely get close to signing my name to one of those...
Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
Originally Posted by vettdvr
I reco buy one with out sbc brakes and airmatic suspension for better reliability and lower maintenance cost.
What is SBC? which w211 have that?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dsm2925
What is SBC? which w211 have that?
any e class 03 - 06. for 07 - 09, only e63s have them
Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

SBC is the braking system of the car. It as it's own computer practically, it's drive by wire and supposedly pretty safe on top of it. I never had an issue with it and I like it. Others don't. I think it also detects from the driving style if the driver tries do come to a rough/emergency stop and helps with the power applied to the breaks. So if you're cruising along and all of the sudden your foot comes off the gas pedal and pushes hard on the brake pedal it has like an algorithm to determine the amount of pressure it needs to apply to the brake on the wheels.

Some say the concept behind is awesome and very sophisticated but poorly implemented. As mentioned, I never had an issue with mine and I like it.

Last edited by Mackhack; 12-12-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SBC is the braking system of the car. It as it's own computer practically, it's drive by wire and supposedly pretty safe on top of it. I never had an issue with it and I like it. Others don't. I think it also detects from the driving style if the driver tries do come to a rough/emergency stop and helps with the power applied to the breaks. So if you're cruising along and all of the sudden your foot comes off the gas pedal and pushes hard on the brake pedal it has like an algorithm to determine the amount of pressure it needs to apply to the brake on the wheels.

Some say the concept behind is awesome and very sophisticated but poorly implemented. As mentioned, I never had an issue with mine and I like it.
it is different than conventional brakes. the other day i was driving our 02 cl500 and it feels completely different. i kind of miss the conventional system. however, the computer can detect when extra force is needed. i've noticed for emergency stops the car really stops right away. also, the 07+ cars (minus e63) come with pre-safe now.

i noticed more problems on the 03 - 04 versions. and i think with the 06+ ones they got the bugs out of the system and software. i remember reading there was nothing bad with the unit, it was just that the software would make the computer turn off after 10,000 cycles which MB soon realized wasn't enough. also, the V8 Lexus GS models use this hydraulic system as well.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Banned

i noticed more problems on the 03 - 04 versions. and i think with the 06+ ones they got the bugs out of the system and software. i remember reading there was nothing bad with the unit, it was just that the software would make the computer turn off after 10,000 cycles which MB soon realized wasn't enough. also, the V8 Lexus GS models use this hydraulic system as well.
What is this about that the software would turn the computer off after 10.000 cycles. Could someone explain this and what happens exactly?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What is this about that the software would turn the computer off after 10.000 cycles. Could someone explain this and what happens exactly?
i read it recently on a thread. what happens is the software makes the computer think something is actually wrong with the pump when nothing is wrong. so it shuts off the pump and switches to backup power mode. this is the dreaded brake failure message. however, the real problem is, the backup system doesn't really work so you are stuck with both feet at full force trying to depress the brake pedal while sometimes needing to downshift and even (as i recall) use of the hand brake.

again, from 06 on, i haven't heard really any issues and there are less recalls for the 06+ cars.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned

Puh, is there a service recall for the software update? I never encountered this but better safe then dead
Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
Puh, is there a service recall for the software update? I never encountered this but better safe then dead
When I took the E-500 in for service a few months ago they plugged the VIN in to a computer and gave me a print-out of the service history and any possible recalls, warranty issues, etc and when the car was in the shop they plugged it into a computer and I am pretty sure they updated any "free" software updates which would include the braking system.

I was given the option to pay for a navigation software update but declined. ($140.00)

So, if you are not sure, give the dealer your VIN number and have him pull up the entire history of the car and that should answer your question.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking at the W211