E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

The last straw...no E for me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Sentra
The last straw...no E for me!

My current lease is maturing in four weeks on a 99ML430 and I have been by the dealer a few times shaking down the E-class. Sat was the final straw, I won't be wasting anymore time on trying to convince myself to buy this car.

The E500 I drove drifted to the right and had a burned out lamp with all of 112 miles on the car. I find it hard to believe that known problems are stlill being left uncorrected whether by MB or their dealers. The sales gal finished my sentence when I started to say the car was pulling, she says drifts to the right? Thats to bad. A burnt out lamp is another example of the little crap that made for countless trips to the dealership for nitpicking problems on my ML.

My wife includes NAV on the must have list and once again MB falls flat on its face. A 60K luxury sedan with no NAV is just a bad joke.

I really like the car, visually it is stunning, ride quality assuming the alignment is corrected is great, great power, air susp is cool, interior is great.

In the end I am just not willing to hang out in the "lounge" reading IBD while my car is getting debugged.

Great forum, great group in here. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:38 PM
CRB

Maybe you need another M-class to convince you of the E-class' virtues. First year production woes are par for the course in the car industry.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:26 AM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
I can understand the need for navigation as an absolute bar to a buy. I can't understand a burned out bulb and a bad alignment on a demo. Maybe the dealer should be ashamed. But, I don't see those as reasons never to buy the car.

Many of us have had little trouble with our cars, especially those not in the very beginning production. From what I have heard and seen, although there are a few, a very small minority of owners have continuing problems. In my case, there have been none.

When the navigation is available, give it another try, you may be more amenable. Oh, and, maybe try a different dealer. We like you on this forum and want to see you enjoying a car as much as most of us do.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2003, 09:47 AM

Nissan Sentra
Sorry, frankly I'm a bit PO'd at the whole thing. I REALLY like driving a Mercedes. I REALLY like the attributes of the E-class. But after the horrible experience with the ML and the seeming regularity of problems showing up on the E-class I can't put myself through that experience again.

I have a very good personal relationship with the dealer, I actually contract with them and can get a deal on the car and loaners and probably the best service I could expect. What I can't deal with is a string of "small and seemingly insignificant" problems, eg. the burnt out bulb, improper alignment, SRS lights etc... It makes me crazy when I have to visit the dealer for the nonsense. I talked to my neighbor who has a previous generation and he said that his car, a 98 E320, has been through 8 window regulators and a long string of small problems. No complaints on engine and drivetrain, but it is the little stuff that consumes so much of ones time.

I will always consider Mercedes, but I may wind up with something else this time around.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:03 AM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Congratulations on your decision. I sincerely hope many more prospective customers take the same route. Since MB is not listening to or communicating with its loyal customers based on the many threads of this forum, the pocket book is probably the only other way to get MBs' attention. I am about to sell my 03E.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:29 PM

What,sell your 2003 E, you will lose a small fortune......why???
Old 03-11-2003, 06:55 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by Callaway
What,sell your 2003 E, you will lose a small fortune......why???
Because buying this car has turned out to be a mistake, and now I need to pay for it. Much of the issue is the lack of navigation which appears will not be available, and I need that option. Installing the aftermarket navi I want will cost about $4k. A second major issue is the ride. It is terrible. The tires are noisy such that I must turn the radio up really loud to disguise the noise, and every time the car runs over a rut in the road the reverberation is very noticable in the chair and steering wheel not to mention the thump, thump, thump of the wheels is distracting. My 01 E320 glided over the ruts practically without notice. This sport package was a mistake in the way it ruins the ride as described above. Replacing the tires would cost about $1K, and there is no way to reverse the sport suspension. So the cost of selling is not going to be much more than trying to correct the issues.

The noise and thumping has been noticed by every passenger, many noting how bad the MB ride has become based on this car. And they all laugh at the navigation snafu.

I am sick of being treated like a non entity by the dealership, and the brunt of jokes by my passengers about being snookered by MB. I have driven MBs for 20 years, and every one was a joy until now. After I take my financial bath, I do not intend to return to MB.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:33 PM

2007 E350 Sport
Red face drb

I guess I'm happy I didn't get the SP because I'm very happy with the ride and handling. The tires (Michelin Energys) are quiet.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:46 PM
drb

Re: drb

Originally posted by Carnaught
I guess I'm happy I didn't get the SP because I'm very happy with the ride and handling. The tires (Michelin Energys) are quiet.
I have never heard anyone on this forum complain about the sport package. I suppose those who are used to sport cars find the noise and vibration putting them in touch with the road. I like the dark wood, the look of the wheels, but never thought the sport package suspension meant bumpy and noisy ride. I am probably the only MB owner regretting this choice.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm sorry about your experiences DRB. The navigation issue for the E's is a HUGE disappointment. I am considering a 4-matic for next year, but will not buy one unless the NAV system is available (and working properly...unlike the new HK system).

Regarding the Sport Package...it really is a preference issue. Lower profile tires and a firmer tuned suspension will give you a harsher ride in favor of better handling. A thorough test drive is really the only way for one to know whether or not it is acceptable. Perhaps a Lexus-type ride is more to your liking? My old LS400 still feels like clouds on the road.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:24 PM

2010 E350 4-Matic, Silver, Blk Leather, P2 package, Sport pkg, Drive Dynamic Seat
Sports Package

Doesn't the Airmatic Dual Control provide greater ride comfort in the normal setting? I am waiting to order an E-500 4-matic and want to include the sports package as an option, however I don't want a car thats going to ride like a tank. My current 2000 E-320 rides like a charm. Would appreciate imput from sports package owners.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:43 PM

Nissan Sentra
I find the selective ride to be very good. Normal is quiet and comfortable, and with the exception of the car drifitng into the right hand lane, is very nice.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:16 PM

Sport Suspension Ride

I have an E500 with Sport Package. I find that the normal position on the Airmatic suspension is very comfortable and the 17" Continental H series tires are not noisy - check air pressure front and rear. I suspect that MBUSA opted for these over the W series tires because of noise and wear and the resulting hassle from their USA E-series clientele if these two factors were present.
Sport position I and II provide increasing tautness in the suspension. The transition is very fast, so you can select Sport I or II as you approach a turn and return to Normal after exiting the turn. I have taken two trips from SoCal to Sacramento and back in my E500. This is more than 425 miles each way. Very comfortable ride and 26+ MPG at 73+ MPH.

Legacy

Old 03-11-2003, 10:31 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I think the E320 rides very smoothly - If you want stiff and noisy - drive a Honda S2000! You'll think the E320 is a limo.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:28 AM

2010 E350 4-Matic, Silver, Blk Leather, P2 package, Sport pkg, Drive Dynamic Seat
Smile Sport Suspension Ride

Originally posted by Legacy

I have an E500 with Sport Package. I find that the normal position on the Airmatic suspension is very comfortable and the 17" Continental H series tires are not noisy - check air pressure front and rear. I suspect that MBUSA opted for these over the W series tires because of noise and wear and the resulting hassle from their USA E-series clientele if these two factors were present.
Sport position I and II provide increasing tautness in the suspension. The transition is very fast, so you can select Sport I or II as you approach a turn and return to Normal after exiting the turn. I have taken two trips from SoCal to Sacramento and back in my E500. This is more than 425 miles each way. Very comfortable ride and 26+ MPG at 73+ MPH.

Legacy, thanks for sharing your experience. I think you hit the nail on the head by having the H rated tires instead of W. I would assume that ordering the Sports Package with the 4-Matic option MB would supply the H rated tires.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500
Continental tires

I just recently got my E500 Sport PKG and it had the continental tires. I have been told that all the E500 imported to the US have H rated tires because of complaints with poor tire wear on the W rated tires and also this is the reason for the 130 speed limiter.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
to 99430

you got a lemon of an ml just like everyone who didnt wait til at least 01. 2002 model is eons better still. I waited to get a 2002 and its a GREAT all around vehicle. the nav on it [which I added] is the best nav system available currently for any mb product. I did numerous upgrades to my 320 and it is sweet. however I am a CAR guy and own it only for the utility and all wheel drive. my next will probably be a 3-4 yr old s500 4matic. its a better deal to me than any e class. and nav is standard.