E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

SBC why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
SBC why?

Someone was asking me about the 211 brakes. They work fine and I've never had an issue. There's just that extra step when I put pads in...

At any rate, I'm sure I knew at one time but now I've forgotten. Why did Mercedes use the SBC system? What was the advantage? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Perhaps you should print this for your friend:
http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdf...%209-30-02.pdf
Old 12-16-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
In theory, brake-by-wire is a good system. But it's implementation was a different story. Although I'd put the blame more on Bosch than MB. Software failure (the ECU had issues) was the real problem.

But these days ESP and other advanced electronic assists has made a brake-by-wire system pretty much obsolete, so a combined conventional hydraulic system is more feasible, reliable, and less complex.

MB wasn't the only to use it (Toyota did, too) but MB was the first to use their invention (Sensotronic Brake Control) on cars commercially.

It's really unfortunate MB had issues early on, because it gave their system a bad name. It was way ahead of its time.

Mercedes cancels by-wire brake system; decision a blow to technology's future
By JENS MEINERS | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
Mercedes-Benz is discontinuing the twice-recalled Robert Bosch GmbH braking system on the E-Class and CLS-Class sedans next summer in a move that is a blow to automotive brake-by-wire technology.

Mercedes will drop the Sensotronic Brake Control system from the E-Class in June 2006 when it introduces the car's midterm face-lift. At about the same time, the E Class-derived CLS also will lose the system. Both cars will have a conventional hydraulic braking system. "We can now offer all the comforts of SBC in a conventional system," said a Mercedes insider. "SBC was a very expensive system."

But the source also acknowledged that customers had lost confidence in the system.

The technology eliminates the mechanical link between the driver's brake pedal and the brakes, substituting an electrical link that actuates the brake calipers.

Customer complaints were linked to the failure of software for the brake system. When the system failed, the hydraulic system took over. But that resulted in a longer stopping distance and additional brake pedal effort by the driver.

"Statistically, (the Sensotronic Brake Control is) as good as our other braking systems and sometimes better," the insider said. "But we cannot get the doubts out of customers' heads."

Mercedes' SL roadster and the low-volume SLR McLaren and Maybach supercars will retain the brake system until the end of their life cycles.

It would be too costly to re-engineer those low-volume cars to accommodate a conventional system, a source said.

Sensotronic Brake Control was supposed to highlight Mercedes' technology leadership. Instead, it created a double blow to the brand's image.

In May 2004, Mercedes recalled 680,000 vehicles to fix the complex brake-by-wire system. Then, in March 2005, 1.3 million cars were recalled, partly because of further unspecified problems with the Sensotronic Brake Control system.

Bosch has no other customers for the system, which it co-developed over nine years with DaimlerChrysler AG at a cost of 147 million euros, or about $173.3 million at current exchange rates.

A Bosch spokesman acknowledged that the system has lost some of its competitive edge.

"In 2001 we were far ahead with SBC, but conventional technology has not been standing still," the spokesman said.

"With the ESP Premium (vehicle stability system), we have all SBC functions in a conventional system."
Old 12-16-2009, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Great post. My SA was telling me about the SBC system and that it was ahead of it's time when I asked about it, as it is on my CLS.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I'd take SBC on my GL in a heartbeat. About anything would be an improvement on the pathetic pedal feel on those models.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:53 PM

2009 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by lkchris
I'd take SBC on my GL in a heartbeat. About anything would be an improvement on the pathetic pedal feel on those models.
Maybe a less tubby car is in order
Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 PM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by 220S
In theory, brake-by-wire is a good system. But it's implementation was a different story. Although I'd put the blame more on Bosch than MB. Software failure (the ECU had issues) was the real problem.

But these days ESP and other advanced electronic assists has made a brake-by-wire system pretty much obsolete, so a combined conventional hydraulic system is more feasible, reliable, and less complex.

MB wasn't the only to use it (Toyota did, too) but MB was the first to use their invention (Sensotronic Brake Control) on cars commercially.

It's really unfortunate MB had issues early on, because it gave their system a bad name. It was way ahead of its time.

"
Thanks. That's more than I ever knew about it. I've had two Sl's with it and one E. I've never had an issue. The feel seems fine for the street although none of those cars are driven near the limit of braking.

This is another indicator to stay away from new technology for the first year.

Trending Topics

Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
Thanks. That's more than I ever knew about it. I've had two Sl's with it and one E. I've never had an issue. The feel seems fine for the street although none of those cars are driven near the limit of braking.

This is another indicator to stay away from new technology for the first year.
Just don't try any trail braking with a SBC equipped car. You'll get a bigger surprise than just weight transfer
Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 PM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Just don't try any trail braking with a SBC equipped car. You'll get a bigger surprise than just weight transfer
IIRC, you track a 993 and I'm sure trail braking is a good friend.

Now you've raised my interest. I wonder what would happen in a 211 if I really wanted to plant that front tire on turn in....
Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
My E500 and SL600 both have the SBC, while my R500 and C240 don't. I think I prefer the SBC in panic situations, as I've had a few close encounters with deer, but I hate the non-linear feel of them in stop and go traffic. They feel 'choppy' or 'grabby' for a lack of a better word.

Oddly enough, my non-SBC R500 has a brake/hold feature for inclines, while my SBC cars don't. Never could figure that one out.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 AM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
My E500 and SL600 both have the SBC, while my R500 and C240 don't. I think I prefer the SBC in panic situations, as I've had a few close encounters with deer, but I hate the non-linear feel of them in stop and go traffic. They feel 'choppy' or 'grabby' for a lack of a better word.

Oddly enough, my non-SBC R500 has a brake/hold feature for inclines, while my SBC cars don't. Never could figure that one out.
I'm in the camp that likes fewer nannies on cars. The best brakes I've ever used were very simple with very good components.

Heel/toe, threshold braking, lane toss are soon to be lost skills.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama

My SBC is the most confidence inspiring braking unit I've ever experienced in a car for panic stops. However it sucks in traffic, I have always been a self proclaimed master at stopping cars smoothly, just can't get it right in my E, always a grabby, jerky stop. Stupid M-B said that they are supposed to "eliminate hard stops" or whatever, seems they should have trusted the driver more.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 AM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Perhaps you should print this for your friend:
http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdf...%209-30-02.pdf
I finally got a chance to read this. Very sophisticated and interesting. CAN connections to the wipers? Very complicated. Also interesting that you don't get the pulse back through the brake pedal. Learn something new all the time.

It still strikes me as a cure for an illness I'm not sure I have.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:32 AM

W211 E200 Kompressor
Break performance figures

Repost from similar discussion topic, but of more relevance here: (apologies to those that have read it before...)

You may be interested to know that at least the "old" generation SBC has better performance than the breaks in the new (W212) E-class:

Break perfomance measured in seconds with stops from a speed of 100km/h (approx. 62 Mph) at 30 seconds intervals on a good bitumenised surface is:

W211 (model E 200 K - MY 2004) - best 2.72 seconds, worst 2.77 seconds and average of 10 stops = 2.75 seconds.

W212 (Model E 300 - MY 2010) - best 2.84 seconds, worst 3.13 seconds and average of 10 stops = 2.90 seconds.

Both vehicles tested with standard factory fitted tyres (for their respective MY). Source: Car Magazine Jul 2004 and Sept 2009 editions.

I certainly hope than W212 e-class does not drive behind me when I need to make an emergency stop!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by Ronaldk
Repost from similar discussion topic, but of more relevance here: (apologies to those that have read it before...)

You may be interested to know that at least the "old" generation SBC has better performance than the breaks in the new (W212) E-class:....

I certainly hope than W212 e-class does not drive behind me when I need to make an emergency stop!
I certainly hope you can make that emergency stop with your SBC equipped car. (Search for "SBC failures" and read up on how much little braking ability is available once SBC fails). At least the conventional-brake equipped
W212 car has brake reserve stopping capability. You and I do not....
Old 12-18-2009, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by gnma
I certainly hope you can make that emergency stop with your SBC equipped car. (Search for "SBC failures" and read up on how much little braking ability is available once SBC fails). At least the conventional-brake equipped
W212 car has brake reserve stopping capability. You and I do not....
How do you know he has equally much muscle in his legs as you do? The "reserve braking capability" is all hydraulic without any boost power but if you press the pedal with full power, you should have decent braking power although less than the traditional braking system at a brake booster failure.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
How do you know he has equally much muscle in his legs as you do? The "reserve braking capability" is all hydraulic without any boost power but if you press the pedal with full power, you should have decent braking power although less than the traditional braking system at a brake booster failure.
Yeah, I think the SBC "issue" just got really bad press, and then of course liability is also a big thing for any mfg. SBC is not an inherently bad system. It was (as are most of MB's innovations) way ahead of its time. But with the early SBC ECU glitches, it became a problem in consumers' minds and a problem for MB.

The later versions of SBC have been fine. It's still in the current SLs.

But even Bosch and MB admit that with the latest conventional electronic assist components, and ESP, etc.., it's not really cost effective to use and evolve the SBC concept anymore.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550, E320 Sport Wagon and A170CDI :)
Question

DO YOU GUYS HAVE THAT "SHAKING" BRAKE PEDAL IN EVERY 4-5 TIMES YOU TOUCH IT?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:50 AM

W211 E200 Kompressor
Damper on sucktion hose

Hubi, if you are refering to the slight vibration during pressure build up then you may want to consider the replacemnet suction hose with improved dampers. Great improvement.

see:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...my03-06-a.html

@ GNMA: I'll take my chances, especially after considering the possible life saving effect of the better performance and conveniece (SBC stop and SBC -hold)! I think the bad press is completely over dramatised. Apart from the stigma (which you help enforce - it seems to be most prominent in the US?) MB had to come up with a work around. If you read their article on the cancellation of the break-by-wire technology then it is clearly stated that it the conventional system is a great cost saving for MB. I think this was the main driver as the merger with Chrystler resulted in active cost saving plans. Also consider that the Maybach and other low volume high-end MB vehicles retains the SBC to their repsective life cycle ends.....therefore the system had good enough integrity to be continued to be use in these lines.

Do you still fly in an aircraft after considering how many of them had failures in mid air with catastrophic effect? Do you limit travel by chosing only the more reliable between Boeing or Airbus?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Yeah, I think the SBC "issue" just got really bad press, and then of course liability is also a big thing for any mfg. SBC is not an inherently bad system. It was (as are most of MB's innovations) way ahead of its time. But with the early SBC ECU glitches, it became a problem in consumers' minds and a problem for MB.

The later versions of SBC have been fine. It's still in the current SLs.

But even Bosch and MB admit that with the latest conventional electronic assist components, and ESP, etc.., it's not really cost effective to use and evolve the SBC concept anymore.
Ya, I haven't heard of any problems on the 06 models.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:09 AM

Hubi, if you are refering to the slight vibration during pressure build up then you may want to consider the replacemnet suction hose with improved dampers. Great improvement.

see:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...my03-06-a.html

@ GNMA: I'll take my chances, especially after considering the possible life saving effect of the better performance and conveniece (SBC stop and SBC -hold)! I think the bad press is completely over dramatised. Apart from the stigma (which you help enforce - it seems to be most prominent in the US?) MB had to come up with a work around. If you read their article on the cancellation of the break-by-wire technology then it is clearly stated that it the conventional system is a great cost saving for MB. I think this was the main driver as the merger with Chrystler resulted in active cost saving plans. Also consider that the Maybach and other low volume high-end MB vehicles retains the SBC to their repsective life cycle ends.....therefore the system had good enough integrity to be continued to be use in these lines.

Do you still fly in an aircraft after considering how many of them had failures in mid air with catastrophic effect? Do you limit travel by chosing only the more reliable between Boeing or Airbus?

Yeah, thats what I think to - they wanted to cut their costs, nothing else.

So, did you have the same problem with the vibration? does it mean that something is broken? or this improvement is just to get rid of it?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:52 AM

W211 E200 Kompressor
@ Hubi, I did not have a vibration problem with the SBC breaks. I did notice that if your foot was on the pedal and the system was increasing pressure one could feel 'n slight vibration (subtle) during the process. This will happen (depending on breaking use) approximetly once or twice during a short trip. This was obviously not there if the pump was not building up pressure. After replacement of the suction one can hardly feel any pump vibration (during it's operation) and it has become significantly more quiet.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 AM

@ Hubi, I did not have a vibration problem with the SBC breaks. I did notice that if your foot was on the pedal and the system was increasing pressure one could feel 'n slight vibration (subtle) during the process. This will happen (depending on breaking use) approximetly once or twice during a short trip. This was obviously not there if the pump was not building up pressure. After replacement of the suction one can hardly feel any pump vibration (during it's operation) and it has become significantly more quiet.
SAME WITH MY CAR. I 'VE TO GO TO THE SERVICE AND ASK THEM TO FIX IT. DON'T HAVE A WARRANTY AND RECALL IS PROBABLY DONE AND NO LONGER AVAILABLE, SO PROBABLY WILL COST A LOT, ANYWAY

THANKS
Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 AM

2006 E320CDI
If your problem is the SBC pump it has a warranty the is for 10 years and unlimited mileage. Recalls do not expire, especially safety related so I would take it to the dealer and get their input and if they want to charge get a detail estimate and then bounce that off MBUSA.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by edwinwalke
If your problem is the SBC pump it has a warranty the is for 10 years and unlimited mileage. Recalls do not expire, especially safety related so I would take it to the dealer and get their input and if they want to charge get a detail estimate and then bounce that off MBUSA.
thanks, i didn't know about 10y warranty...and recalls without the expiration date. How can we check by VIN (means where) if our car was qualified for recall? I got it from the first owner but I don't really know if they fixed it

hubi

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SBC why?