E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Driving with the City Lights and Fog Lights on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
Driving with the City Lights and Fog Lights on

Hello once again, your fellow soldier here.

i use to do this on my Si all the time. yea, i was a honda driver

ive matured, and didn't buy a BMW! lol most honda drivers that come up on some cash usually get a beemer! sorry i hate BMW, with a passion

its not the car, its the Driver of BMW. i love bmw as a car, but i don't want to be listed as a BMW driver, i.e. parking in the red curb, cutting through traffic, not using turn signal (BIGGEST PET PEEVE), i don't really care if people cut me off they might need to get somewhere important whatever, but have the courtesy to tell me, hey i wanna get in that lane, ill let go off the gas for you and let you in.

anyways, back to on topic, i drive with the setting to the right of the AUTO, and pull it out one. so its the fog lights and the two inner lights, and once it gets darker i just turn it over one and all the lights including Fogs come on.

anyone else do this? i mean every time i drive my car i always have fogs and the inner lights on during the day.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:33 PM

03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
same can be said about Benz drivers, dont catagorize all drives of a particular make because of some bad apples. Also, a Beemer is a motorcycle...
Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 PM

so do you drive with your fogs and city lights? forget the bmw thing.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:48 PM

03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
nope, gotten spoiled/lazy over the years and just leave it on Auto, so i dont use frnt driving lights or rear fog light, but do use the daytime lights feature, congrats on your first Benz!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 AM

W211 Elegance Saloon
I've done this a few times, but for the most part the switch stays on auto.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
i have my lights set. to auto..once in a while i will turn all the way to right and pull so fogs come on...

i still drive my 99 EBP Si as my daily driver....since owning it for over 10 yrs, its been keyed all the way down the ds...spoiler stolen, front bumper / back bumper replaced due to being hit under 5mph...w/190k on it...this pic was taken after being detailed for 2 hrs..

Last edited by novae500; 02-15-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by infantry
anyways, back to on topic, i drive with the setting to the right of the AUTO, and pull it out one. so its the fog lights and the two inner lights, and once it gets darker i just turn it over one and all the lights including Fogs come on.

anyone else do this? i mean every time i drive my car i always have fogs and the inner lights on during the day.

Just FYI, I have always heard that it is ILLEGAL in CA to drive with just your parking and fog lamps on (even in the daytime), but I never spent the time to look it up.

So after some research, I found some very interesting CVC's on the books:

24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24800.htm

24801. Parking lamps are those lamps permitted by Section 25106, or any lamps mounted on the front of a vehicle, designed to be displayed primarily when the vehicle is parked.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24801.htm

Hence, in CA, technically you CANNOT only turn on your parking lights (sans headlights) and use your fogs (unless you are parked/standing). Thus, use your headlights (in CA) when you're driving/moving, NOT only parking lamps + fog lamps.

And for people who think they can substitute fog lamps for headlights in CA (even under foggy conditions... which is how fog lamps are SUPPOSED to be used):

24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24403.htm

So even under foggy conditions, you need to have your headlights on (which basically defeats the functional purpose of fog lamps).
Attached Thumbnails Driving with the City Lights and Fog Lights on-mblightswitch.jpg  

Last edited by chokaay; 02-15-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:25 AM

i know about the being illegal part. but i doubt a cop will really know the difference on these to be honest.

ill come up with some bull**** excuse as to why they are on, and how my headlights don't work. they for some reason believe me.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:41 AM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Originally Posted by infantry
i know about the being illegal part. but i doubt a cop will really know the difference on these to be honest.

ill come up with some bull**** excuse as to why they are on, and how my headlights don't work. they for some reason believe me.
lol You are right most police officers won't know much about our cars.
Example: I've heard of a few people getting tickets for "broken / malfunctioning tail lights" when using the rear fog.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM

2007 E350 sport p1
I came from a honda too lol but yeah I drive w.the city lights and fogs during dawn and dusk, also had LEO pull me over for it once + tint but no citation.

also mr. infantry, thanks for your service!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 PM

05 E500
I will NEVER drive with FOG lights on unless there is FOG out there! Thats why they are called FOG lights. I use to do that when I was 18 and I bought my first car that had FOG lights and I thought it looked cool and wanted to show off.

Every time I see someone in broad day light with their FOG lights on, I think what a douche..what a ******. We can see you..there is no need for additional lights.

Another thing is they they focus the oncoming drivers eyes to your fog lights which can divert their attention from seeing in front.

We drive a benz and there is no need to show off.

Its my 2 cents on driving with FOG lights!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
I do this all the time until there're no city lights and I need to see far out -- I started using this when my batt had low amperage to conserve some current draw, I've to tell ya it looks unique bro!

(I still do it after putting the new batt in! )
Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 PM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
Actually I doubt our fog lights are fog lights per se based on the color/intensity. They really are driving lights. As a matter of practice I do drive with the headlights and driving lights on regularly. I like the extra illumination just fore of the front of the car - its great for spotting pot holes and other road hazards to the immediate front of the car. I've color matched the driving/fog lights almost to the same color of my LED city lights and Bi-xenons.