E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

air suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e500
air suspension?

Came out side this morning and the back end of my car was almost sitting on the wheels i thought maybe the air suspension went because the front of my car was looking normal. I then started car and push the raise car button and it took a min but everything raised. So i thought the car was fine. Push the raise button again so it would be normal, I drove then parked it again and same thing happen this time more on the passenger rear side. Its not right away it take about an hour to do this. Any ideas is the is the air shock shot or is this normal. I live in new jersey so got alot of rain but wasn't near any flooded streets.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
Sounds like at least one of the air shock or air springs (in the rear) is failing. Or maybe it's the air pump. You should get it checked out at the dealer or a very good MB indy shop. It's an expensive repair. Probably looking at $1200-$1500 per corner, parts & labor. One of my front air suspensions failed at 60k mi, and the dealer quoted me ~$1500 for the repair and I ended up paying $1200 after a $300 good-will discount.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM

2003 e500
went to my mechanic and he saw nothing wrong he then put the computer on and he said there was a fault code "c14fc" in electronic stability control. He said there was no description and he would have to look it up and call me tomorrow. Does anybody know what it means. Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by liljohne500
went to my mechanic and he saw nothing wrong he then put the computer on and he said there was a fault code "c14fc" in electronic stability control. He said there was no description and he would have to look it up and call me tomorrow. Does anybody know what it means. Thanks
You have a leak in the rear suspension that is small enough the compressor can fill it faster than it leaks out. Shortly the hole will open and your compressor will exceed it's duty cycle and give you a warning light. Then if no repairs are made it will fail.

The leak will develop in a fold in the rubber specifically on the rear air spring. Hopefully it is an air shock and not the spring. The spring requires (really dumb) pulling the rear differential/suspension out of the car to change the spring.

What you really need is a "leak down" test done on the car. Mine was taken to the dealer twice before they found the leak. When they found it the air springs AND air compressor had to be changed out. Read $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
last thurs i go the visit workshop car icon. Could hear the compressor coming on and on constantly. Called the dealer on friday and said to bring in asap or get it towed if can't drive.

I didn't drive it on the weekend but took it in on monday. Picked up the car tuesday and the invoice said no voltage to airmatic release valve, bad red/black wire, installed new cable/wire harness. test drove and code cleared by tech.

Granted its still under CPO thru 2013 and/or 100k miles...
Old 03-21-2010, 04:36 PM

2003 e500
i am dropping it off at dealer on monday seems like its getting worse. I am praying it is nothing major because i really don't want to spend alot of money.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 PM

2006 e55 AMG
I got all the air suspension parts if u need them to be replaced.