E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New E500 Review from Edmunds

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-27-2003, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB E500
New E500 Review from Edmunds

Here is the link to the review dated 3-13-03 on the E500.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...4/article.html
Old 03-27-2003, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Re: New E500 Review from Edmunds

Originally posted by rayscar
Here is the link to the review dated 3-13-03 on the E500.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...4/article.html
Hmmm...not exactly a "glowing" review. Some nice things said, but an equal or larger number of negatives. If I did not own the car and know that this is mostly lip-flapping, I might lose some interest.

Edmunds seems to always treat MB in this manner. Not exactly a turn off, but "you should check out the competition" type of review.

Last edited by etenn; 03-27-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:14 PM

2003 MB E500
I agree Ed. I was disappointed with this latest review especially after their intial test drive review last year of the new E. That was much more favorable IMO.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Thanks for the link!
Old 03-27-2003, 04:47 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by rickyfanmdr
Thanks for the link!
My Pleasure
Old 03-27-2003, 08:29 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
This review contains incorrect information...

Hmmm... they sure seem picky. I feel that they need more intelligent subjects to test the new W211. Their complaint about learning the stalks, especially the cruise control, is ridiculous. Once I learned the location and function of each stalk, I haven't had any problems at all going for the wrong stalk! Heck, the Merc stalks are backwards compared to my other cars.

Regarding the HVAC controls, I think they're beautiful and really easy to use, once you know what all the buttons mean. I don't see what the problem is... This is my first Benz... I've never even seen these controls before.

Now scrolling through all the menus for audio changes is a bit of a hassle... but the awesome sound of the HK system makes all the suffering completely worth it!

I feel that the car handles like a nice touring sedan should. It provides a very controllable and predictable ride. No, it's not a 540 sport, but it manages just fine, especially with the SportContact 2 tires and the airmatic in the stiffest setting.

The engine is a beauty and pulls effortlessly. The brakes are grabby, but now that I've learned the car and the brake modulation, it's really just a matter of learning how to "drive" and "brake" the car properly. It takes so little effort to actuate the brakes... I've actually gotten very used to the modulation and have no trouble driving smoothly.

Merc does offer a split rear folding seat. I have it in my car! :p

Each to his own, but I love my E. It's not perfect, but what car is? Hopefully, I've gotten rid of all my car's freshman bugs...

Thank goodness I didn't order the nav system... I hope everything works out for you guys that did...
Old 03-27-2003, 09:21 PM
CRB

That was a pretty savage review. Edmund's found something to dislike in practically every area.

Well, at least they liked the HK sound system.:p
Old 03-28-2003, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Edmunds has advertisement money, and as usually advertisement money paid for promoting cars not selling well. So do not expect that Edmunds will write something good about cars having top sales numbers.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I was thinking the same thing NuBenz

I mean, how stupid are these people. I've never come close to accidently hitting the curise control instead of the directional. I'm not really sure how you would even do that. This setup is not unique to Mercedes. How many times have you rented a car, or driven someone else's? YOu don't get in and read the manual. I've never been in a car that took me more than a few minutes to figure out the basics. Some of the things these guys pick on is amazing. There's a car reviewer in my local paper who has always trashed MB because on the older E's the wndow controls were on the console. He recently reviewed the new E and I couln't wait to see what he said about the placement of the window controls. OMG, you would have thought he hit lotto. He said he was thrilled that MB finally put the controls in the "right" place. "Right" to who? you, becasue you say so... Oh well, we love the cars, but MB really does seem to garner a lot of backhanded compliments in the auto press. I'm not sure why.