E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New E500 My Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
New E500 My Experience

Thanks to all on this forum for loads of useful info. Ordered the car Dec 21, Jan 2 build date, on boat Feb 10, picked up March 8. The dealer experience from initial order thru pickup was first rate. I've bought/leased 8 cars in the past 10 years and never have I felt as good walking out as after ordering the Benz.

Then the trouble begins:
1) 3/17 (258 miles) Motor mounts: Very rough idle and noticeable ticking. Service advisor is clueless even with the SB #. Calls over a mechanic to the idling car and asks him if he hears anything wrong. Mechanic immediately says, "motor mounts, changed four sets this week". Service advisor says he never heard of any problem but proceeds to apologize profusely. Fixed in 3 hours, loaner offered but I didn't need it.

2) 3/22 Previously activated Tele-aid shows malfunction in display, won't connect. Finally get thru after 10-15 min and very helpful Tele aid rep looks things over and decides to try to resend activation signal. Problem fixed.

3) 3/25 (450 miles) Upon startup dreaded "1 malfunction" shows up on display. This time it is the airmatic D/C, owners manual advises not to drive over 50 mph and "Visit workshop" Try to make appointment and they tell me April 10. I tell them no way is the car sitting in my garage for the next two weeks. The tell me April 1. I call the sales guy he calls the service manager, I get 3/26 appointment. Driving to appointment HK sound system starts with crackling on all FM stations only, stops as I pull into service bay. Car needs two front "struts", ordered parts but no ETA. So now I wait with a C320 loaner.

So much for fine German engineering. Maybe it should be called a Dodge E500.

I love the car, came with W-rated contis and the rear folding seats. Looks, power and ride are awesome. Sales experience was great, service guys are starting to warm up to the fact that they shouln't be seeing me twice in two weeks with a 450 mile car and are being as helpful as they can.

I gave them an excellent survey but checked somewhat dissatified on the car itself. We'll see if I get a call from MBUSA.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:01 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. MBZ looks as if they won't make the top JD Power ratings for another year

Missery loves company or so they say...here's the problems my CLK 500 has/had to date 1800 miles

motor mounts-fixed

pull to the right-fixed

wipers missing spots-fixed

wipers still noisy and blade defects in all of the 209's-awaiting bottle of Rain X purchase

clock losing two minutes every 3-4 days-not fixed yet

sulphur smell from exhaust-not fixed yet hoping it goes away

AM radio reception, sounds like all speakers are slightly blown, FM fine-not fixed yet

A/C has musty smell when first turned on only after car sits for a few hours + - not fixed yet

Well there you have it. Do I hate the car? NoI still enjoy it, just wish they would get the damn bugs out before theystart selling new models. Jeez if they just hire one of us from the forum to test a preproduction model for 2000 miles we could have identified all these problems for them, heck I'd have done it for free.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:55 PM

E500
Got the car back yesterday. Struts were replaced, apparently there is some problem with threads on the air hose attachment to the bladder that controls the ride height.

Radio static is back. Only on FM (see my other thread). Service guy said they didn't hear it. Going back in next week.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:31 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Re: New E500 My Experience

Originally posted by jtc3

<snip>
So much for fine German engineering. Maybe it should be called a Dodge E500.

<snip>
LOL!

That is pretty funny. I'm sorry that your car is turning out to be problematic... hopefully it'll get straightend out...

If it was a Dodge E500 I would expect your tranny to go at any moment...
Old 03-30-2003, 03:32 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Re: New E500 My Experience

Originally posted by jtc3

I gave them an excellent survey but checked somewhat dissatified on the car itself. We'll see if I get a call from MBUSA.
LOL, Short story...MBUSA has your money, you have their car. They could care less about your problems much less those of anyone else. MBUSA barely knows they sell cars much less paying attention to any survey be it glowing or covered in fecal matter. They are clueless, arrogant, and hostile toward their customers. You will discover that you will love your car regardless of how long it lives in the shop.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:14 PM

E500
DRB,

Makes sense. Just look at the treatment you guys are getting while waiting for Nav. You would think they would want to bend over backwards for their customers ponying up $50K+ for cars!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
first model year, complex car with complex systems, no doubt there are going to be problems. what long island dealer did you buy the car at?
Old 04-03-2003, 02:51 PM

2003 E320
Originally posted by RJC
A/C has musty smell when first turned on only after car sits for a few hours + - not fixed yet
I had this problem. They fixed it for me. I think it's just mildew buildup in the A/C vents. it smelled pretty bad...like something really sour (like vinegar).

They sprayed some stuff into the vents to kill it, I spent some time running the A/C through the unit, and I now usually turn off the A/C about 5 minutes before getting home.

The condensation from the A/C sometimes leaves water in the vents and those can get mildew growing.

I also have a dryer (for clothes) in my garage that is malfunctioning a bit and leaves that air very moist and warm.

I also got the motor mount fix for my E320. I'm the only person I know with an E320 (not E500) that had to get this fixed.

Rock.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:14 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
We should not have to turn the a/c off etc not to have a mildew smell in our cars. My 99 00 01 never had this problem. I don't know about the 211 but I found on the 209s that the ac intake is located under a black plastic panel over the battery, just flip the 3 clips remove the cover and there is the blower fan, I think this new design is letting moisture in as you will see after you remove the cover the ac filter is facing the top of the battery and is not very moisture/water shielded. This may explain the mildew smell.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:33 PM

'03 E320
Question How to determine Engine mount problem?

Rock,

You mentioned you had the engine mounts replaced in your E320, what were the symptoms of the problem? How did you convince the service dept to repair it?

I also have a E320 - I suspect I may have an engine mount problem. When I'm driving in the 0-5mph range, occasionally, I would hear a low shifting sound from the front of the car. My wife bought this up to my service advisor the last time she was in to repair the A/C system, he convinced my wife that it was normal operation - due to air suspension adjustment. (I don't have the optional airmatic suspension system.) But it only occurs sporadically, and I have to listen very carefully to hear it. Does this sound like potential engine mount problem?

Thanks for any insight you can share.

Ed