E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Oil Change & "Reduce Oil Level" Reading

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 Mercedes
Oil Change & "Reduce Oil Level" Reading

Changed my oil+filter today on my 2003 E500 went through the following procedure and now when I checked my oil level it saids "Reduce Oil Level"

1. Before Starting - I checked oil level through instrument panel - it was ok.
2. Removed oil filter.
3. From topside used vacuum pump unit to remove oil through the oil tube located near the passenger side firewall. Note: Was definitely oil and not transmission fluid. Actually got around 8.4 quarts out using vacuum unit - know this because I filled (2) one gallon milk jugs (total 8 quarts) plus had a residual of a little less than 1/2 quart extra totaling around 8.4 quarts.
4. After refilling 4 quarts - checked instrument panel and said I needed 2 more quarts (which was wrong - off by over 2 quarts). Put another quart in and said I needed 1.5 quarts and had put a total of 5 quarts into the system (accounting for about 1/2 quart I poured into the filter cannister before reinstalling new filter.
6. Put anothe quart in (now total of 6 quarts) and tried to check the oil level and said that it was protected with some sort of battery protection and did not give me a reading . . .
7. In total put 8 quarts back into the system (should be a little short of 1/2 quart) - checked for leaks and then drove car and came back, let car sit and checked the oil level and it said "reduce oil level".
8. Have taken 1 additional short trip and got same reading when I checked it throught the instrument panel.

My question is this - How accurate is the instrument panel oil check? How can I get a ok reading before starting, remove around 8.4 quarts of oil, put 8 quarts of oil back into the system and now get a "reduce oil level" reading. Input much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I dont think much of the electronic gage. I have had that same fault come up (2003 E320), mainly after highway driving with the engine thoroughly warmed. If you are truly 8 quarts in, I would ignore it. You can have the sending unit checked / replaced. I ordered a dipstick. Such a simple task made needlessly complicated by a desire to offer the end user a better mousetrap. I believe the sump on your 500 motor actually holds 8 quarts? The V-6 needs 8.5. Intuitively, that does not compute.
PS the oil filter housing makes an excellent funnel and you can add all of the oil through it. Much easier than trying to bullseye that weeny filler tube with a funnel tipping every which way. BTW the sending unit never showed that error code again and I have changed the oil/ filter at least 3-4 times since with 8.5 quarts from the get go.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by jjleonard
Changed my oil+filter today on my 2003 E500 went through the following procedure and now when I checked my oil level it saids "Reduce Oil Level"

1. Before Starting - I checked oil level through instrument panel - it was ok.
2. Removed oil filter.
3. From topside used vacuum pump unit to remove oil through the oil tube located near the passenger side firewall. Note: Was definitely oil and not transmission fluid. Actually got around 8.4 quarts out using vacuum unit - know this because I filled (2) one gallon milk jugs (total 8 quarts) plus had a residual of a little less than 1/2 quart extra totaling around 8.4 quarts.
4. After refilling 4 quarts - checked instrument panel and said I needed 2 more quarts (which was wrong - off by over 2 quarts). Put another quart in and said I needed 1.5 quarts and had put a total of 5 quarts into the system (accounting for about 1/2 quart I poured into the filter cannister before reinstalling new filter.
6. Put anothe quart in (now total of 6 quarts) and tried to check the oil level and said that it was protected with some sort of battery protection and did not give me a reading . . .
7. In total put 8 quarts back into the system (should be a little short of 1/2 quart) - checked for leaks and then drove car and came back, let car sit and checked the oil level and it said "reduce oil level".
8. Have taken 1 additional short trip and got same reading when I checked it throught the instrument panel.

My question is this - How accurate is the instrument panel oil check? How can I get a ok reading before starting, remove around 8.4 quarts of oil, put 8 quarts of oil back into the system and now get a "reduce oil level" reading. Input much appreciated.
Mine did exactly the same thing. 2003 E500. Normally I pulled the drain plug. I finally bought a topsider. Pulled all the oil until nothing came out. Refilled with correct amount and new filter. Got the reduce oil warning. Ok,, pulled out about 1/2 qt and the warning has not come back on. That was 10,000 miles ago and everytime I check the oil it is ok and I have not added any in the 10,000 miles of driving.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 E500
But wouldn't a topside pump miss the heavy oil deposits that would normally drain out (when dropping the drain plug)? Especially since you can't move the suction pipe around in the sump. It's going to suck from one spot.

At least with draining, gravity helps move the oil towards the plug.

Just my $1.08
Old 04-29-2010, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Taylor-Made'90
But wouldn't a topside pump miss the heavy oil deposits that would normally drain out (when dropping the drain plug)? Especially since you can't move the suction pipe around in the sump. It's going to suck from one spot.

At least with draining, gravity helps move the oil towards the plug.

Just my $1.08
You are correct if there are heavy deposits. Hopefully the engine is run before the oil change the filter is the MB spec and taking out any heavy particles and the only stuff that is removed the oil that has suspended material vs having remove solids that precipitate out. Materials that were left in long enough to precipitate out will probably stick the pan and not drain out any way. Don't think you normally see lumps and clumps draining out on normal oil changes.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 PM

2003 E500 Mercedes
Update after night of sitting

Got into car this morning, and checked the oil electronically and oil level checked "ok". Don't know if adding new oil affected the reading even after sitting originally, but after it sat overnight, seems to be checking okay now.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Got into car this morning, and checked the oil electronically and oil level checked "ok". Don't know if adding new oil affected the reading even after sitting originally, but after it sat overnight, seems to be checking okay now.
Remember to be accurate the car must be level when checking.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Mercede-Benz GL450
Hi everyone :>) I have crazy question.
Does 2007 GL450 have an Oil check deep stick?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:32 PM

2003 E500 Mercedes
Same place

Originally Posted by vettdvr
Remember to be accurate the car must be level when checking.
Thanks for reminder, however, car was in exact same place - my garage when checking.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Thanks for reminder, however, car was in exact same place - my garage when checking.
Put a level on the garage floor and check level. I changed mine again this week with topsider and added 8 qts vs 8.5. I have had no alarm and I believe there was a small amount of oil the topsider didn't remove. I am ok being 1/2 qt down with only 8 qts. After all I drive my corvette cross country with only 6 1/2 qts total.