Help me troubleshoot bluetooth puck no mic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500
Help me troubleshoot bluetooth puck no mic

Hi all,

I recently picked up one of the new bluetooth pucks (...6131, black). I hooked it up, phone book loaded, can make calls, and can hear receiving party. The receiving party, however, cannot hear me.

I bought the car CPO but am no longer under warranty. I have no idea if this ever worked but since I did not buy the puck until now, there is no way to know one way or another. This is why I'd like to see if I can do this DIY first. I did do some searching and there were a number of possible reasons:

- software (where do I need to check versions?)
- mic not connected (where are all the points I should check? What do the connectors look like? Wire color?...)
- mics dead. Need new mics, i.e. new rear view mirror = $$$$ How would I even check to see if the mics failed?
- can it be the module? As a BT go-between, I can't see this unit failing and cutting out only the mic.

If you've experienced this and found a solution, any details would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:08 PM

e500
Anyone? I want to not have to carry my headset around. LOL.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550 Sport / 2007 R500
I'm not too familiar with the setup since I'm new to it, but have you tried to take it out and plug the puck back in? Perhaps one of the pins is not aligned properly.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
Connector for mic is in trunk. Remove lower trunk panel (spare tire covering) and you will see a black plastic cover in rear. Remove cover and mic is small (8pin?) blue plug. May not be plugged into MHI unit....
Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 PM

e500
Originally Posted by E550 Sport
I'm not too familiar with the setup since I'm new to it, but have you tried to take it out and plug the puck back in? Perhaps one of the pins is not aligned properly.
I've done this a couple of times already. No luck.

Originally Posted by MB211
Connector for mic is in trunk. Remove lower trunk panel (spare tire covering) and you will see a black plastic cover in rear. Remove cover and mic is small (8pin?) blue plug. May not be plugged into MHI unit....
Is this in the area on the trunk floor but more against the back seat? I tried looking to see if there was something obvious (like a plug not connected to anything). At the time, I did not see anything that caught my attention. Do you know the part number or where (in relation to the other modules back there) the MHI unit is? I'll go back in again and see if I can find a blue plug. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:17 PM

e500
Sorry to bump this old thread but I've only found some time to look into it now. In this thread, there is talk of a blue plug for the mic. In other threads that I've searched, there is talk of orange wires. Does anyone have pics of what the connections should look like? I have uploaded pics to see if I can get any comments.

This is a pic of the right side looking into the trunk (passenger). There are 2 orange wires coming out of the right trunk side.

-----------------
Continuing towards the middle of the trunk, these 2 orange wires do not connect to anything. One ends about the middle of the picture at a (black) fuse block and the other goes all the way to the left of the picture. There is a black plug that goes to nothing on the right.

There is a blue plug in the middle unit. There is a blue "UHI" plug that is "plugged" into the tray. There is a blue "SDS" plug that connects to a set of wires coming from the left loom. There are 2 orange wires connected to the left unit that ends at (black) fuse blocks and then continues to yellow wires from the left loom.

-----------------
Here is a close look at the left side.

Any thoughts? My mic is still not working. I have not connected/disconnected anything yet.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 PM

E350
I had the same problem as you. I bought a puck and hook it up and i can hear the caller but they cant hear me. I took it to a dealer for them to check it out and they said it was the microphone in my car which is bad. My car still under warranty still so they going to change it for me tommorrow. I will let you know if it works or not..
Old 01-29-2011, 01:38 AM

E350 Sedan Sport
Just to confim, the mics are all the blue connectors.

If you have VCS then the contector labeled SDS is connected to the TeleAid connector (towards the left side of tray) and if you do NOT have VCS then the connecter labeled UHI should be connected (the unused connector is pluged into the tray floor.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:10 AM

e500
Originally Posted by ixxkempaxxi
I had the same problem as you. I bought a puck and hook it up and i can hear the caller but they cant hear me. I took it to a dealer for them to check it out and they said it was the microphone in my car which is bad. My car still under warranty still so they going to change it for me tommorrow. I will let you know if it works or not..
Yeah. Let me know. Unfortunately, my car is not under warranty any more. Sadly, if it is the mic on the mirror, it is one of those things you do not use until you need. In this case, I did not purchase the BT puck until after my CPO expired.

Originally Posted by Still_Waters_43
Just to confim, the mics are all the blue connectors.

If you have VCS then the contector labeled SDS is connected to the TeleAid connector (towards the left side of tray) and if you do NOT have VCS then the connecter labeled UHI should be connected (the unused connector is pluged into the tray floor.

Hope that helps.
This is the first ray of hope for me. I do not think I have VCS (as you can see the plug on the right is not connected to anything). The SDS blue plug is currently connected and the UHI plug is in the tray. Are you saying that I need to swap the plugs? Obviously, there is still a chance something else is wrong (like the mics) but swapping the plugs is simple enough to eliminate this wiring error part.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:53 PM

E350 Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by Neoii
This is the first ray of hope for me. I do not think I have VCS (as you can see the plug on the right is not connected to anything). The SDS blue plug is currently connected and the UHI plug is in the tray. Are you saying that I need to swap the plugs? Obviously, there is still a chance something else is wrong (like the mics) but swapping the plugs is simple enough to eliminate this wiring error part.
Yes, Neoii swap them.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 PM

E350
Hi Neioli

Did you get your phone to work? I went to the dealer this weekend and they installed the new mic. I didnt test it out until I got home and it still doesnt work. Same Issue. I have to take it back to the dealer to let them check out again.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 AM

e500
Originally Posted by Still_Waters_43
Yes, Neoii swap them.
Thanks to Still_Waters_43's insight, I swapped the plugs and everything works now.

Originally Posted by ixxkempaxxi
Hi Neioli

Did you get your phone to work? I went to the dealer this weekend and they installed the new mic. I didnt test it out until I got home and it still doesnt work. Same Issue. I have to take it back to the dealer to let them check out again.
That's too bad. So they swapped out your whole rear view mirror? You might want to take a peek at your plugs.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 PM

E350
well they swapped my rear view mirror..They told me to bring it back for them to take a look at it so i'll just wait when i have some time. so I can get another free carwash when I go there..=)
Old 11-16-2011, 01:26 PM

2004 E320 Wagon 4Matic
I have the same problem on a 2004 Wagon, no microphone with handsfree using bt puck. Everything was working for a couple of years, then the mic just quit. After reading this, I'm thinking a tech could have mis-plugged a wire during service (only MB has serviced my car). Where is the wiring box on a wagon?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 AM

2002 S500
this helped ...