E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HEAVY Glovebox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4Matic
HEAVY Glovebox

I have an unusual problem. My glovebox used to open gently slowly sliding down until opened. Now for no reason when I push the button it slams down and bounces around plus the glovebox lid itself feels like it ways 20 lbs. It is noticeably heavier than it used to be. Does anyone know the cause, reason or remedy for this? I have searched this and all the other subdivisions in this forum to see if a similar case has happened to another member but found nothing. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
As I recall there is a damper on the glove box that connects the door to the box. It works like a shock absorber when it is extended... thats why the door feels lighter... The device is pulling against it. The weight of the door you feel is the actual weight. There was a fix posted some time back here. One guy replaced the device, one guy fixed it with a rubberband. The box has to be removed from the dash for access, If I remember correctly. The part is called a damper, I think.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67037

Also: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...x-problem.html

Also: Damper needs replacement part #2116800026 (for comparison shopping, parts.com $8.91)

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 07-18-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 Elegance Saloon
I fixed mine by accessing the glove box from underneath in the footwell.
There is a bungee type cord the can come off the hook at one end. I simply hooked that end back over the hook. The glovebox regained soft openeing and it has not broken again since I did it sometime last year.
Basically just unscrew the white kick panel in the footwell and get in there with a flashlight.
If you see a cord hanging down unconnected on one end then there is your problem.