E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Trailer light module thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Trailer light module thread

I've been reading and searching for definitive information about wiring my 2005 E320 CDI for trailer lights.

I've read some threads but haven't found (and may have skipped over) specific information about which wiring module/unit/converter that I need to purchase. I've seen mention of one that connects to a 12v source and one that does not.

I want to wire a basic "four flat" plug for a small trailer. Two questions remain.

1) What module do I need to buy?

2) I have not looked to see where to tap into the lights. Where is the easiest place to do that? I'm thinking about access to wires and space to work.

Thanks so much for any help or direction to a good thread on the topic.

Will
Old 07-31-2010, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
That's pretty obscure, you should probably check with a dealer.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:45 PM

2005 E320 CDI
That is on the list of next steps. I know there are people that tow things with these cars. The trailer light setup I'm trying to connect to is the standard light setup so I imagine I'm not the only one.

The Mercedes shop I go to is owned/operated by a German guy who said, "yeah, I see these cars towing stuff all over when I'm back home." He just hasn't wired one of these. He is researching with a friend who lives in Germany.

From what I read there is a device that gets wired into the car lights and the trailer plugs into that device. This device is likely to be a standard trailer light converter.

I'm hoping someone knows. I'll be making a trip by the dealer to see whose brain I can pick soon.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Trailer light wiring module

Does anyone have trailer lights wired on their car? If so I would love to know if the light wiring module is powered by a 12v source or just spliced into the car's lights.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
These threads may help
https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=5601638
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 PM

2005 E320 CDI
When I click the link it says no match.

Thanks for posting some help. I'm interested to read the threads.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by 4will
When I click the link it says no match.
W211 forum – Display Options (at bottom) – From The “Beginning” – Search this Forum – “trailer”
Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Perfect. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM

2004 E320 Wagon
4will, what shop do you use?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The Mercedes shop I go to is owned/operated by a German guy who said, "yeah, I see these cars towing stuff all over when I'm back home." He just hasn't wired one of these. He is researching with a friend who lives in Germany.

From what I read there is a device that gets wired into the car lights and the trailer plugs into that device. This device is likely to be a standard trailer light converter.

I'm hoping someone knows. I'll be making a trip by the dealer to see whose brain I can pick soon.
Mercedes doesn't support trailer pulling with its USA version cars (except SUVs) and dealer may know very little. And, I think it's optomistic to think there's a "standard trailer light converter" configured out of the box to adapt to a Mercedes.

There are retrofit instructions in WIS however, and you may be able to find them with a 24 hr/$18 subscription at http://www.startekinfo.com

Not so sure your dealer can get you the correct Mercedes harness (it will have Euro-style plug) but if not, http://www.speed-autoteile.com can.

European requirements will mean you'll get circuits for rear fog light, separate brake/turn signals, and even backup lights.

Last edited by lkchris; 08-07-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM

GL350
Trailer light module

I've been reading and searching for definitive information about wiring my 2005 E320 CDI for trailer lights.

I've read some threads but haven't found (and may have skipped over) specific information about which wiring module/unit/converter that I need to purchase. I've seen mention of one that connects to a 12v source and one that does not.

I want to wire a basic "four flat" plug for a small trailer. Two questions remain.

1) What module do I need to buy?

2) I have not looked to see where to tap into the lights. Where is the easiest place to do that? I'm thinking about access to wires and space to work.

Thanks so much for any help or direction to a good thread on the topic.

Will
Did you or anyone have an answer to this thread with actual part numbers?
I called our local Hitch city.3 locations with 6 different part numbers.
They said the car's wiring has to be tested to see which module it needs.
Here is a list of the TowReady (Modulite) and Curt part numbers.
TowReady: 119190 ,119176
Curt:56130,56146,56200,56201

I have an 03 E500 and looking for someone who can confirm any of these modules being installed.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM

2005 E320 CDI
I never got part numbers. I'm still interested. Doesn't really help your current problem I know.

A guy I bought a roof rack from, who has the same car as I do, said that his hitch and lights were installed and they installed a module that supplied 12v to the lights. So rather than just tapping into the car lights the module supplements the power from car lights as it goes to the trailer.

Did anyone mention what was different between the modules?

The ones I've seen or that have been mentioned to me all seem to do the same thing. You tap into the car wiring. You supply power to the module from a 12v source. You wire the trailer light plug to the module. You plug the trailer lights in.

If there are multiple modules, I'm wondering do they have different power requirements?

Does one have more wires for a configuration of lights on the car? (as in one car could have a two stage bulb for two functions and one car could have two sockets for two functions)

I'd love to hear some thoughts.

This project got put on the back burner for me but needs to be completed.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM

GL350
I never got part numbers. I'm still interested. Doesn't really help your current problem I know.

A guy I bought a roof rack from, who has the same car as I do, said that his hitch and lights were installed and they installed a module that supplied 12v to the lights. So rather than just tapping into the car lights the module supplements the power from car lights as it goes to the trailer.

Did anyone mention what was different between the modules?

The ones I've seen or that have been mentioned to me all seem to do the same thing. You tap into the car wiring. You supply power to the module from a 12v source. You wire the trailer light plug to the module. You plug the trailer lights in.

If there are multiple modules, I'm wondering do they have different power requirements?

Does one have more wires for a configuration of lights on the car? (as in one car could have a two stage bulb for two functions and one car could have two sockets for two functions)

I'd love to hear some thoughts.

This project got put on the back burner for me but needs to be completed.
As far as i know you will have to tap into the wiring no matter what..you need the signals for brake and turn..The differences are mainly the load on the circuit,multi signal wires etc.Both manufacturer's product are similar ,some with smaller load capability,some withough powering the modul from the battery.
Its not a big deal to have some of these places install the whole thing but when the part is $30-79 and the labour is $100-150plus broken clips and wires hanging all over the place ,i would like to give it a try myself..
i think someone comfirmed Curt 56146 but his is a 05 CDI320..
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM

2005 E320 CDI
I looked back at threads I had participated in and realized I never closed the loop on this. Thought I'd add my experience in case someone is still searching.

I went to the U-haul center (not a dealer but the place that sells towing equipment etc). The guys called the Uhaul tech person. My options on the shelf were to get a converter or a powered converter. Both tap into the existing wiring and provide a 4 pin flat connection. My question was whether the powered unit could do damage to the MB system. The answer was that either would work and Uhaul has put them both on MB cars.

I installed the powered converter on my 05 E320 CDI without problem. I emptied my trunk to expose the batteries and battery terminals. I opened up the trunk trim so that I could find the tail light and turn signal wires. I tapped into the appropriate wires. I powered the unit. My trailer has lights, my car doesn't seem to notice that there is any issue with the lights, whether connected or disconnected from the trailer.

Basically, this is just like any other trailer light install.

Rather than run the trailer wire through the body to get it to the trailer, I store it in the trunk on the left side where the access to the wiring block is. When I tow (which is infrequently) I just run the wire out through the trunk opening and close the trunk lid on the wire. The wire is flat and the trunk doesn't crush or pinch the wire excessively.

I hope this helps, Will