E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

MB Factory Carrier Bars (Roof racks) Lock Replacement if keys are Lost!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E320 CDI, '04 Sprinter 316 CDI
MB Factory Carrier Bars (Roof racks) Lock Replacement if keys are Lost!

I was wondering if anyone has successfully re-keyed, or got replacement keys through Thule (as they are the manufacturer) of the OEM Basic Carrier Bars.

I bought a set used, and the keys, and 2 screws were missing, and I am looking for a game plan.

Thanks for any insight in advance
Old 08-15-2010, 03:26 PM

I think you can call the manufacture for replacement keys as the key number is on the lock assy.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by health services
I think you can call the manufacture for replacement keys as the key number is on the lock assy.
Thank you for that, however, there is no number on the front of the lock face like the Thule and I do not think it can come out without the key, meaning the cylinder out of the cylinder cavity
Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Wish you were down here they are really easy to pick and sometimes putting another key in there will even unlock it.

I lost the keys to mine once and unlocked it using a 'rake method'

to give you an idea what the 'raking method' is look here or do a search on google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP88_gbRryc

The locks are there just as a simple theft deterrent, they are not theft proof.

They keep honest people honest, but won't do much if a crook really wants your stuff.

Last edited by health services; 08-15-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Thank you, that was interesting, where can one find the tools that fit this OEM lock on the roof rack?

You lost your key for the OEM roof rack, and used this method to open it, how did you get new keys?

Was there a number inside on the side of the cylinder?

There is a factory sticker inside with a few numbers on it.

The racks are not installed, I bought them used, and I have no instructions for them.

Cheers
Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 PM

It been years but I believe the 'Thule' display sells the whole lock assy. When I first bought my first Thule the lock assy needed to be purchased separately

You can go to ebay for the lock picking kits, I have a kit because I was a tech for so many years and needed them on occasion.

for example the replacement parts...

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-...are-parts.html
Old 08-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the tips...

The Mercedes OEM racks, although made by Thule, do not have any numbers to look at, maybe a lock smith could make new keys for me from scratch..

Thanks again...
Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM

For what thule charges for locks it is not worth it to go to a locksmith.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-544.html

It really is that easy to pick the lock... at least attemp it. Next time you go to watch a tv show, grab one and start playing with it.

you may want to contact this company and see if this is will open all lock as it appears to do.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-...pare-part.html
Old 08-15-2010, 04:44 PM

For what thule charges for locks it is not worth it to go to a locksmith.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-544.html

It really is that easy to pick the lock... at least attemp it. Next time you go to watch a tv show, grab one and start playing with it.

you may want to contact this company and see if this is will open all lock as it appears to do.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-...pare-part.html
Thanks for that, I have already emailed them and will see next week what they say. If that blank were to open it, it would mean anyone could steal from anybody with Thule with that key, so it does not make sense.. I looked on ebay but could not find anything under lock picks, maybe amazon....

Cheers
Old 08-15-2010, 05:06 PM

The key maybe for locks that are not in the locked position and allows the cyclinder to be removed and replaced. If your lock is not in the lock position this maybe just what you need to replace the ones you have.

I just went outside to see how hard it was to pick the lock, Its been at least 5 years since the last time I picked a lock and it took all of 30 seconds. All you need is a angled tweezer and something to rake the lock. No need to buy a whole kit, when you can source the parts yourself.
Attached Thumbnails MB Factory Carrier Bars (Roof racks) Lock Replacement if keys are Lost!-dsc05602.jpg  

Last edited by health services; 08-15-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 PM

The key maybe for locks that are not are not in the locked position. and allows them to be replaced. If your lock is not in the lock position this maybe just what you need to replace the ones you have.

I just went outside to see how hard it was to pick the lock, Its been at least 5 years since the last time I picked a lock and it took all of 30 seconds. All you need is a angled tweezer and something to rake the lock.
Cheers.....where in SoCal are you, I used to live North County SD for 12 years...

So angled tweezers ...is that what you use for tension.....I guess, what did you use to rake?

good video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQbi...eature=related

I cannot tell if my locks are open or closed??? Is the lock key opening meant to be vertical or horizontal when open would you know?

If the lock is locked, what does it prevent one from doing? It is hard to tell with no instructions and I cannot see with the rack in my hand what turning the cylinder would actually accomplish. You have OEm or Thule personally.

Cheers,
Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM

I'm in oc, Tustin area.

I no longer have my Thule. I do have an old Yakima rack for a Lexus though, which is very similar.

With the key in, the tumblers inside will be retracted. At this time when the lock is in a certain position the lock assembly will slide out. Look online for your instructions. Google is your friend.

Good luck

Last edited by health services; 08-15-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 AM

I managed to rake my way in and remove a cylinder from the plastic assembly. Thanks for your tips, I made my own custom tools and got it done, first time ever, very liberating, have always wanted to know how to do it.

I will now take to a locksmith, hopefully he can make a key quick and cheap.

Thanks Again,